Hi

Got a problem, im hoping some of the text may give the game away.

Swopped, ram, cpu, cd/dvd's etc all i havent changed is the HD.

I was using the normal 40 cable ide x2. Then told to try a 80. I only had 1
and if master and slave (hd-dvd) it wasnt found in bios, same if i set both
to CS.

When i had the hd on the 80 and the dvd on older ide when i tried to install
it would afer a while about 57% it couldnt copy over files etc or words to
that effect. I had formated to ntfs and ran many scandisks. this happend on
maybe 10 attempts to install plus it would take many hours to get that far,
i left it for 7 hours and it had only got to about 50%.

Its as if the dvd (or cd) drive is having trouble getting the data to the
mobo.

Its a legal cd, i even tried 3 copies of back ups i have lying around and
all give the same error.

Always been happy with 98SE, did all i want but knocked up a pc that must
have XP on. Even a mate who has built many pc's cant work this out.

thanks

I don't really understand what your asking but I'm assuming you have your IDE
Hard Drive and DVD drive on the same IDE cable? Thay would be your first
mistake. Connecting 2 devices to one cable requires that you set the jumper
for one of the devices to "master" the second can be set to cable select, but
not both. Ideally your DVD drive and Hard drive should each be connected with
separate cables. The Hard Drive should be connected to the IDE1 port and the
DVD drive to the IDE2 port.

"Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Got a problem, im hoping some of the text may give the game away.
>
> Swopped, ram, cpu, cd/dvd's etc all i havent changed is the HD.
>
> I was using the normal 40 cable ide x2. Then told to try a 80. I only had 1
> and if master and slave (hd-dvd) it wasnt found in bios, same if i set both
> to CS.
>
> When i had the hd on the 80 and the dvd on older ide when i tried to install
> it would afer a while about 57% it couldnt copy over files etc or words to
> that effect. I had formated to ntfs and ran many scandisks. this happend on
> maybe 10 attempts to install plus it would take many hours to get that far,
> i left it for 7 hours and it had only got to about 50%.
>
> Its as if the dvd (or cd) drive is having trouble getting the data to the
> mobo.
>
> Its a legal cd, i even tried 3 copies of back ups i have lying around and
> all give the same error.
>
> Always been happy with 98SE, did all i want but knocked up a pc that must
> have XP on. Even a mate who has built many pc's cant work this out.
>
> thanks

Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales wrote:
> Hi
>
> Got a problem, im hoping some of the text may give the game away.
>
> Swopped, ram, cpu, cd/dvd's etc all i havent changed is the HD.
>
> I was using the normal 40 cable ide x2. Then told to try a 80. I only had 1
> and if master and slave (hd-dvd) it wasnt found in bios, same if i set both
> to CS.
>
> When i had the hd on the 80 and the dvd on older ide when i tried to install
> it would afer a while about 57% it couldnt copy over files etc or words to
> that effect. I had formated to ntfs and ran many scandisks. this happend on
> maybe 10 attempts to install plus it would take many hours to get that far,
> i left it for 7 hours and it had only got to about 50%.
>
> Its as if the dvd (or cd) drive is having trouble getting the data to the
> mobo.
>
> Its a legal cd, i even tried 3 copies of back ups i have lying around and
> all give the same error.
>
> Always been happy with 98SE, did all i want but knocked up a pc that must
> have XP on. Even a mate who has built many pc's cant work this out.
>
> thanks

Problems copying files or corrupted files during installation are
most often caused by defective or sub-standard hardware; in order of
likelihood, either RAM, the hard drive, or the motherboard. On very
rare occasions the installation CD is the problem.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

"jerryrock" <jerryrock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I don't really understand what your asking but I'm assuming you have your
IDE
> Hard Drive and DVD drive on the same IDE cable? Thay would be your first
> mistake. Connecting 2 devices to one cable requires that you set the
jumper
> for one of the devices to "master" the second can be set to cable select,
but
> not both. Ideally your DVD drive and Hard drive should each be connected
with
> separate cables. The Hard Drive should be connected to the IDE1 port and
the
> DVD drive to the IDE2 port.

i have dyslexia so i understand its not too clear

yes i have added hundreds of drives over the years, always master and slave,
but when i tried it on a 80pin it didnt work, i went out and got a new
yellow ribbon earlier and trying it again with one on each.

> Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Got a problem, im hoping some of the text may give the game away.
> >
> > Swopped, ram, cpu, cd/dvd's etc all i havent changed is the HD.
> >
> > I was using the normal 40 cable ide x2. Then told to try a 80. I only
had 1
> > and if master and slave (hd-dvd) it wasnt found in bios, same if i set
both
> > to CS.
> >
> > When i had the hd on the 80 and the dvd on older ide when i tried to
install
> > it would afer a while about 57% it couldnt copy over files etc or words
> > that effect. I had formated to ntfs and ran many scandisks. this
happend on
> > maybe 10 attempts to install plus it would take many hours to get that
far,
> > i left it for 7 hours and it had only got to about 50%.
> >
> > Its as if the dvd (or cd) drive is having trouble getting the data to
the
> > mobo.
> >
> > Its a legal cd, i even tried 3 copies of back ups i have lying around
and
> > all give the same error.
> >
> > Always been happy with 98SE, did all i want but knocked up a pc that
must
> > have XP on. Even a mate who has built many pc's cant work this out.
> >
> > thanks
> >

> Problems copying files or corrupted files during installation are
> most often caused by defective or sub-standard hardware; in order of
> likelihood, either RAM, the hard drive, or the motherboard. On very
> rare occasions the installation CD is the problem.

i swopped the ram, cpu etc so if what im trying now doesnt work then it has
to be the mobo. tried diff cd's with same result.

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

Don't rule out the power supply or the CD-Rom drive.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales" <julianhales@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
message news:MBnLe.4073$le3.1803@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
>> Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales wrote:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > Got a problem, im hoping some of the text may give the game away.
>> >
>> > Swopped, ram, cpu, cd/dvd's etc all i havent changed is the HD.
>> >
>> > I was using the normal 40 cable ide x2. Then told to try a 80. I only
> had 1
>> > and if master and slave (hd-dvd) it wasnt found in bios, same if i set
> both
>> > to CS.
>> >
>> > When i had the hd on the 80 and the dvd on older ide when i tried to
> install
>> > it would afer a while about 57% it couldnt copy over files etc or words
>> > that effect. I had formated to ntfs and ran many scandisks. this
> happend on
>> > maybe 10 attempts to install plus it would take many hours to get that
> far,
>> > i left it for 7 hours and it had only got to about 50%.
>> >
>> > Its as if the dvd (or cd) drive is having trouble getting the data to
> the
>> > mobo.
>> >
>> > Its a legal cd, i even tried 3 copies of back ups i have lying around
> and
>> > all give the same error.
>> >
>> > Always been happy with 98SE, did all i want but knocked up a pc that
> must
>> > have XP on. Even a mate who has built many pc's cant work this out.
>> >
>> > thanks
>> >

>> Problems copying files or corrupted files during installation are
>> most often caused by defective or sub-standard hardware; in order of
>> likelihood, either RAM, the hard drive, or the motherboard. On very
>> rare occasions the installation CD is the problem.
>>

> i swopped the ram, cpu etc so if what im trying now doesnt work then it
> has
> to be the mobo. tried diff cd's with same result.
>

>> --
>>
>> Bruce Chambers
>>
>> Help us help you:
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
>> both at once. - RAH

I know its not the cd drive, tried 3 and took a look as i left it installing
last night and found its given me the same error, cant copy files after
50od% and that took many hours to get that far, i went out and bought a new
ide cable so it must be the mobo.

Good luck with the new motherboard.

--

message news:WEHLe.7564$le3.4767@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

> Good luck with the new motherboard.

the mobo was replaced as faulty a month ago, tried so many things its taken
me this long...bea couple of months before i can afford another .bah!

:)

message news:lBOLe.7671$le3.910@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

> "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
>> Good luck with the new motherboard.
>>

> the mobo was replaced as faulty a month ago, tried so many things its
> taken
> me this long...bea couple of months before i can afford another .bah!
>
> :)

ouch! any idea what may have cause the previous mobo to die? If the new mobo
is only a couple months old maybe you have warranty?

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

> "Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales" <julianhales@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
> message news:lBOLe.7671$le3.910@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> >
> > "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
> >> Good luck with the new motherboard.
> >>

> > the mobo was replaced as faulty a month ago, tried so many things its
> > taken
> > me this long...bea couple of months before i can afford another .bah!
> >
> > :)
> >
> ouch! any idea what may have cause the previous mobo to die? If the new
mobo
> is only a couple months old maybe you have warranty?

I forget what happend first time round, i built it for someone and it was
fine, then they said it wasnt right, i got a mate who had used that mobo
many times to take a look and he couldnt get it to work, place i got it from
agreed it was faulty, i was hoping they would replace it but it seems they
sent it back for repair which took 2 months.The shop was local but now
replocated so i had to send it off. The errors this time where slightly
differant but i feel aong the same lines.

message news:jf%Le.409$Wq4.33@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

> "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
>>
>> "Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales" <julianhales@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote
>> in
>> message news:lBOLe.7671$le3.910@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> >
>> > "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
>> >>

>> > the mobo was replaced as faulty a month ago, tried so many things its
>> > taken
>> > me this long...bea couple of months before i can afford another .bah!
>> >
>> > :)
>> >
>> ouch! any idea what may have cause the previous mobo to die? If the new
> mobo
>> is only a couple months old maybe you have warranty?
>>

> I forget what happend first time round, i built it for someone and it was
> fine, then they said it wasnt right, i got a mate who had used that mobo
> many times to take a look and he couldnt get it to work, place i got it
> from
> agreed it was faulty, i was hoping they would replace it but it seems they
> sent it back for repair which took 2 months.The shop was local but now
> replocated so i had to send it off. The errors this time where slightly
> differant but i feel aong the same lines.

Yes RTM can be a PITA. I had a Maxtor hard drive that took over 2 months to
get replaced on warranty.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp