New motherboard, keyboard and mouse won't work in windows

RiposoEterno

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Hey, hoping someone can help me out here

I just got a new motherboard and my keyboard and mouse are recognised by the bios and the keyboard operates properly in the bios but as soon as Windows XP starts loading up they lose power and I can't even log in or anything.

Legacy is turned on.

Not sure what the problem is =/

-Nathan

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Enable USB Keyboard and Mouse in BIOS.

Enable USB ports

Will your system work with your old keyboard/mouse?
If so use it to search/download drivers for your new Keyboard/mouse or to install the driver CD that came with MB/M

Maybe this also: you might have the USB header on the MB connected wrong, disabling your USB devices. Unplug the header untill you get the KB/M working.

RiposoEterno

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
i dont have an old keyboard/mouse lying around, the keyboard and mouse are both enabled in bios, i'll try disconnecting the USB header for the front ports in a little bit, just cooking atm

is there anything else it could be?

RiposoEterno

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
what do you mean by synchronized to the receiver? If you're referring to a wireless setup my USB keyboard and mouse are both wired.

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Did you unplug the MB USB header connector and retry?

Be sure the PC is turned off and unpluged one arm resting on case while touching MB, unpluging/pluging in.

RiposoEterno

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I don't have my XP disk

What do you mean same make/model motherboard? Its an ASUS p5q-e, my old motherboard was an older asus with a different chipset

RiposoEterno

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Unfortunately no-one who lives nearby my owns one, i'd have to go and buy one, would you recommend doing that?

By the way, my motherboard only has one (shared) port for a PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse so I wouldn't be able to use both together (I can just navigate windows with a keyboard though)

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
If you buy another Keyboard and Mouse get Name brand. If it works for you great, you are all set. If not you can return it and with a clear conscience say that it didnt work for you and get your money back.