Start up issues...even without overclock

pwrntspd

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
In june of 2008 a bought a GA-EP45-DS3R motherboard and E7200 C2D.
I have since overclocked them. About two months ago i started having boot up issues. I dont know what the deal is but now even at stock speeds it wont start up initially. It will try to start up and then get stuck at "testing memory" and then reboot. And when it reboots it starts up just fine. When i over clock it and turn off and then turn it back on it does the same thing but resets to stock settings. I dont know whats going on. The oddest thing about it is that i ran a stress test "prime 95" with no problems for 6 hours yesterday, and its totally stable...

Any ideas?

Heres my current settings.

GA-EP45-DS3R

E7200 C2D @3.4GHz 400MHz 8.5 mulit

4GB dual channel OCZ reaper heatpipe @ 400MHz timings 5-4-4-15 and 2.1V

Asus HD 4850 stock

Running windows XP SP3

calinkula

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
If you have the computer off for a while and then turn it on do you notice the computer has always lost your bios settings? Or does your system clock always fall behind?

pwrntspd

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
i dont think it looses the bios settings, but even if it did, when i set it to all stock original settings it still wont boot the first time and has to cycle and shut off first before restarting itself. If youre thinking its the motherboard battery, ill test it, but id be surprised, the motherboard is only 6 months old, my last motherboard is on 4 years with the same battery.

calinkula

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Everything sounds OK hardware wise, but something is obviously failing on first power on. I'm leaning towards the mobo, but not ruling out the RAM.

Take all the RAM out except for one stick and see if you still have the problem. If you do swap the stick to a different slot and try again. Go through all the slots, if some slots work and others don't you know you have a bad slot on the mobo.

If changing through all the different slots doesn't fix it, try a different stick of RAM and go through all the slots. If nothing works its probably the mobo.

If one stick of RAM works perfect and the other doesn't then you know you have a memory problem.

Your mobo is new enough for warranty service and hopefully your RAM is too. So I would call the respective company then to get a replacement.

pwrntspd

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
Alright well i checked the ram. I figured it was the motherboard in the first place. Thanks for your time. Ill be contacting gigabyte in the next week or so.