Hi I wonder if anyone here can help
I have a PC based on a GA-965P-DS3 rev 1.0 with 2Gb of Mem

I have three disks connected using the (Orange) SATA cables:
1. Hitachi DeskStar T7K250
2. WD Raptor
3. WD RaptorX (Win XP Home)

I recently upgraded from E6600 to Q6600
and replaced my Geforce 7900GT with a Geforce 9800GTX

But I haven't seen any increase in speed, so I'm wondering if either the Motherboad could be maxed-out by the faster CPU and GPU or the disks aren't using SATA2 and that could be a bottleneck?

(btw I ran 'PerformanceTest 6.1 and the results were between 60Mb per sec for Sequential Read test on the RaptorX, 27 for the Deskstar and 20 for the Raptor) Are these about right?

How would I tell with this Motherboard whether the disk are in SATA2 mode, and does anyone familiar with this board know roughly what disk performance I should be getting?

Hugely grateful if anyone can offer any advice,

Thanks
Chris.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Raptor's are SATA 1.5gb not SATA 3gb so you are correct in that their not using it because they can't.

The new VelociRaptor are SATA 3gb

Hard Drives are the slowest part of any system so upgrading your CPU and video card will have absolutely no effect on hard drive performance.

I have the same mobo(rev. 2.0) and a single raptor with a E6300. Out of curiosity, I tan the drive test and got 60.4 sequential read. A nominal number , I think. The raptor, and raptorX are identical, excepting the window, so they should perform the same. Your lower numbers indicate some sort of a problem.

In the Bios there are some sata options, and I have them disabled. As I recall, this gives you no EIDE, and sata legacy mode.

The deskstar should not be very different.

The cpu and vga card upgrade should have no effect on hard drive performance.

When you notice no increase in speed, what speed are you talking about?

cee-jaay

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Thanks for the responses Geofelt and Ausch30

I tried disconnecting the older Raptor and Deskstar, to see if the 3 disks were too much, but this didn't make a difference.
I also flashed the bios to the latest (13k)

My main measure for speed is frame rates in FSX, currently running at around 13fps, with settings about 2/3's maximum, and this didn't really change going from Duo to Quad and 7000 to 9000 series GPU (with twice the Graphics memory).

I was thinking that the limiting factor was either read rate from the disks or a mobo that was at the high-end of its perfomance with the newer Processor and Graphics Card.

(btw 3dMark06 gives a score of 12435)

Thx
Chris

1haplo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
You will not see a performance increase in windows going from the E6600 to the Q6600 or upgrading you video card. You will see an increase in Video encoding time with the Q6600 and FPS in games with the Video card upgrade.

If you are talking about windows start time and just opening windows and surfing the net the old parts were fine. The Raptors make windows load faster then most 7200RPM drives

How fast do you want soiltaire to go? :)

1Haplo

FSX is very cpu bound, and is one of the few games that can use more than two cores. There is an update to FSX that enables this. Google to find it. Start the task manager to get an idea about how many cores are being used, and how highly utilized they are.

cee-jaay

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Service Pack 1 made FSX playable with my Duo, albeit compromising on some of the details.

Task Manager is showing the 4 cores and whilst they're being used it isn't equal - I guess that's down to the complexities of multi-core programming and the fact it's a retrofit rather than designed that way from the start.

(Adding Autogen and Traffic affects the frames a lot (with neither it gets up to mid forties) - I'd figured that these were maths intensive tasks.