Sign in with
Your question

Best time to Buy SSD?

Last response: in Storage
August 6, 2009 3:58:46 PM

When do you guys forsee cheaper SSDs? Should I buy one this coming holiday? Or wait for the next fastest SSD to come out that will slash prices on the slower SSDs?

More about : time buy ssd

a c 415 G Storage
August 6, 2009 5:32:44 PM

Intel released their 2nd-generation SSDs just a week or two ago, and they are priced substantially less than before. The other SSD manufacturers are starting to lower their prices to compete. So prices going forward are just now dropping from the levels we've seen over the past several months.

My guess is that once this current round of price cutting works its way through the channels that you won't see any other significant price cuts for another several months.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 7, 2009 12:29:50 PM

I am hoping by this holiday season to be able to pick up at least an 80GB (prefer at least 120GB) SSD for <$200.
m
l
Related resources
August 15, 2009 8:00:17 AM

Quote:
wait 5 years, they will be ultra cheap then...

Yes, I agree. It does not make sense to buy expensive SSDs at this point unless they really really are required (and are able to justify and return the investment in them).
m
l
August 16, 2009 2:50:34 AM

A few things I am keeping in mind...

Intel is now manufacturing SSDs at 34nm -- previously was 50nm. They are already making the drives cheaper and better than before. Expect other SSDs to drop in price. Also, when Intel decides to raise the bar on performance we should see the competition change quite a bit.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-ssd-x25-m-34nm-x...

Other then that SATA 6.0 should be coming out in the near future -- granted it will be more of a marketing gimmick much like SATA 3.0 was when it first came out.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 16, 2009 11:15:02 AM

Quote:
How exactly are they expensive? People waste 250+ on a single Vraptor drive when they can have a kickass G2 intel SSD

The 300GB Velociraptor is $200 right now, which is $20 or so less than an 80GB Intel drive. If you need more than 80GB, the choice is quite clear. The SSDs have dropped a lot in price, yes, but the Velociraptor still destroys them in price per GB, and it is a decent performing drive, honestly. I can still see a valid reason to get one.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 16, 2009 11:35:09 AM

cjl said:
The 300GB Velociraptor is $200 right now, which is $20 or so less than an 80GB Intel drive. If you need more than 80GB, the choice is quite clear. The SSDs have dropped a lot in price, yes, but the Velociraptor still destroys them in price per GB, and it is a decent performing drive, honestly. I can still see a valid reason to get one.

If you're a big usenet d/l'der regularly unraring >8GB *hint hint ;) * chunk of file, which takes at least 2minutes to complete. During that period if you try to use the HDD for another app. everything will slow down to a crawl. 15K RPM drives decrease that sluggishness somewhat, but it's still no match against any SSD (~25MB/s vs. 130MB/s). I find myself often needing disk usage from multiple applications now and with a HDD it's a real drag.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 16, 2009 2:30:57 PM

I regularly unrar large files, and the system doesn't slow down at all. I don't have any SSDs in my system, and yet it works flawlessly. How? The unraring is on a separate drive (WD caviar black 1tb) from the OS/apps (RAID 0 velociraptor array). Sure, the unraring is slower than it would be on an SSD, but since the rest of the system is basically unaffected by the process, I just let it go in the background while using the rest of the system for other tasks.
m
l
August 16, 2009 3:44:00 PM

cjl said:
I regularly unrar large files, and the system doesn't slow down at all. I don't have any SSDs in my system, and yet it works flawlessly. How? The unraring is on a separate drive (WD caviar black 1tb) from the OS/apps (RAID 0 velociraptor array). Sure, the unraring is slower than it would be on an SSD, but since the rest of the system is basically unaffected by the process, I just let it go in the background while using the rest of the system for other tasks.

How much did all that hard drive space cost you though?
m
l
a b G Storage
August 16, 2009 8:53:26 PM

The Velociraptors were $440 (for two 300GB drives), and the Caviar Black was around $80. At the time, a good 64GB SSD was $600-$700, so I'd say the velociraptors were well worth it by comparison. Actually, you would have the same effect with any dual drive setup though, as long as the OS/apps were on a different drive from the rar files. A pair of $80 drives would do just fine (though the OS drive would be slower).
m
l
August 17, 2009 3:26:59 AM

Damn that's a lot just for hard drive space. So you have 1664GB of space and it costed you over $1000. that's insane.

I was thinking of getting a 1TB Caviar Black and a 80 GB Intel SSD or OCZ 80GB Vortex SSD

That would cost like 300$ total?
Run the OS, some games, Photoshop on the SSD.
Put torrent downloads on the HDD.

Sound good?

m
l
a b G Storage
August 17, 2009 3:52:04 AM

$1k? Hell no. $440 was for the pair, not per drive.
m
l
August 17, 2009 4:24:06 AM

Ohh I thought you also bought a $600 SSD too.

I guess that $600 SSD costs like $190 now right?

I've seen some ultra fast super talents 80GB SSD go for $140 the other day
m
l
a b G Storage
August 17, 2009 6:08:21 AM

Nope - no SSD right now. I didn't buy one because they were too expensive per GB for what I needed at the time. I'm thinking of buying an X25-m when Win7 comes out though, and then using the Velociraptors as app drives and putting the OS on the X25.
m
l
!