Partitioning a new hard drive for data storage only

Hello:

I wish to partition a new 200GB hard drive using Windows Disk Management.
This new hard drive is for storing user data (e.g. Word documents, music,
videos, games etc.) only and will NOT contain an operating system.

I plan on setting up three separate partitions; 60GB, 80GB, 10GB, and the
rest for future expansion. I had setup my partitions incorrectly before,
which resulting in STOP errors as I copied my files onto this new hard
drive. I had ABIT tech support tell me about the primary partition on the new
hard drive clashing with that of my "system" drive.

Anyway, I was wondering whether the following methodolgy will work.

- Allocate all 200GB (~180GB in actuality) to an extended partition
- Set up 60, 80, and 10GB logical partitions under the aforementioned
extended partition

Also, if I setup the extended partition to encompass only what I need for
the three logical partitions (i.e. 60+80+10=150GB), would I have to setup a
2nd extended partition or modify the existing with a 3rd party programme
(e.g. Partition Magic) to use up the remaining unallocated disk space? I wish
to make future expansions as painless as possible.

Thank you
1 answer Last reply
More about partitioning hard drive data storage only

    Hi,

    I don't know what the Abit guy was talking about, but there's no reason you
    can't have a primary partition on the second drive. The only possible
    problem would be if you tried to make it "active" rather than the system
    partition.

    As to your other question, you can create a 200GB extended partition and
    then allocate the volumes as you propose, and then at some later time
    allocate the rest of the space without any problems using the disk
    management tool.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "antaresprime" <antaresprime@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello:
    >
    > I wish to partition a new 200GB hard drive using Windows Disk Management.
    > This new hard drive is for storing user data (e.g. Word documents, music,
    > videos, games etc.) only and will NOT contain an operating system.
    >
    > I plan on setting up three separate partitions; 60GB, 80GB, 10GB, and the
    > rest for future expansion. I had setup my partitions incorrectly before,
    > which resulting in STOP errors as I copied my files onto this new hard
    > drive. I had ABIT tech support tell me about the primary partition on the
    > new
    > hard drive clashing with that of my "system" drive.
    >
    > Anyway, I was wondering whether the following methodolgy will work.
    >
    > - Allocate all 200GB (~180GB in actuality) to an extended partition
    > - Set up 60, 80, and 10GB logical partitions under the aforementioned
    > extended partition
    >
    > Also, if I setup the extended partition to encompass only what I need for
    > the three logical partitions (i.e. 60+80+10=150GB), would I have to setup
    > 2nd extended partition or modify the existing with a 3rd party programme
    > (e.g. Partition Magic) to use up the remaining unallocated disk space? I
    > wish
    > to make future expansions as painless as possible.
    >
    > Thank you

Partition Hard Drives Data Storage Windows XP