AncientToaster

Distinguished
May 5, 2008
EDIT: Budget is $1000. Sorry I didn't include this at the start, major brain-fart there.

So, I started a thread here a few days ago, but I realized I made a number of mistakes in my parts list. So, could someone give me some help here?

Working on my first computer build, and trying to put a parts list together.

My main concern is that it be as future-proof as possible (spending graduation present money, so hoping it'll last me through at least my sophomore or junior year of college). With that in mind, I'm thinking that I want to go SLI-ready, without actually springing for SLI yet.

I have some parts I'm pretty sure I'm going to use. Thus far this includes:

GeForce 8800GT
Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfsdale
Seagate 500GB 7200RPM

Beyond here I'm pretty uncertain.

The price needs to include OS (looking at Vista 64bit).

My primary concerns are:
1) Easy to upgrade. Ideally this means supporting a second 8800GT for SLI, as well as additional RAM in a year or two.
2) Cooling. My understanding of cooling is essentially nil, so as idiot-proof as possible is a bonus. :sweat:
3) Overclockability. As I say, I anticipate being pretty cash-strapped, so the more extra juice I can squeeze out the better.

Thanks for any help! Let me know if I can provide any additional information to make this easier.

oushi

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008

And yet you don't include what your budget is...

sprucebr1

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
I agree, wait untill you start your classes at college. You'll likely get most of you OS's and software for free. And don't forget Vista SP1.

Night-Stalker

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
if you want to upgrade your ram in 2 years, you can't go cheap with motherboard AND ram. You would have to buy DDR3 ram + something like Striker II Extreme and thats pretty expensive. If you don't mind buying DDR2 ram in a year or 2 to upgrade, i woudl suggest the EVGA 750i FTW. As for cooler, get a True ultra 120 extreme with a S-flex or a Ultra Kaze. (ultra kaze 3000 rpm will give you the best cooling but will produce alot of noise but you can pair it with a fan controller). But seeing that you are on a tight budget, i would just stick with a SLI board + 2x2GB DDR2 ram. That would be your best bet for your system to last about 2 years.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006

One I agree with the others on waiting until Fall. I will address your concerns though.

1) DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT fall into the SLI trap. If you cannot SLI your setup within the first 90 days if it a waste of money to do so. In 2 years the current video card will be cheaper and trash your SLI setup. So don't be a victim of the marketing ploy.
2) This is true, but the Intel stock cooler is not very good. Invest in a good 3rd party solution and some Arctic Silver 5.
3) Overclocking is a nearly idiot-proof task on any current motherboard. Raising the FSB is often enough to give you a decent overclock.

Agreed with the duck. SLI means a more expensive mobo and a more expensive PSu and more expensive cooling. If you won't have the money for the second card soon, you might as well stick with a single but good video card and get a cheaper PSU and mobo. I suggest GA-P35-DS3L, 550VX (cheaper at www.buy.com), 8800GTS 512MB, CM-690 case. Get 2x2GB DDR2-800.

nh484000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
not that this means anything but im a junior in college right now and ill try to tell you what happened to me.

In 2005 AMD single cores were the best preforming CPUs at the time. I built my rig in may of my graduating year and got an AMD 3500+, ASUS AN8-Premium board, and a gig of XMS Corsiar. At the time it was one of the fastest systems around when i overclocked that 3500+ to 2.62 ghz. However those days are long gone. Since then i have upgraded the ram to 4 gigs and CPU to a 4800+ dual core. My system is still pretty nice. It runs VIsta no problem and i have an 8800 for games fo its ok.. nothing great but it will make it though college.

Now for you.. random question are you paying for your power. because money is tight and if you leave your computer on all the time and you live on an off campus apartment it can start to add up over time.

Next are you just gaming or are you using this computer for other stuff other than typing papers. I know i recently got an 42 inch plasma tv and my video card had HDMI output thats great. I can run 1080p right to it with movies and itunes when we are partying. .. have it all hooked up to my logitect 5300z and wireless keyboard pretty nice setup.. if you have that in mind

A would suggest going with a quad core. They really arent that much more expensive and they are worth it if you are going to do anything like encoding and multitasking.

Video cards... think about looking at a card with HDMI out put.

Motherboard- I would suggest something top of the line... its easy to upgrade other components. if you have the best motherboard out there it will last you 4 years and you will still have a decent system. if you cant afford anything else get a decent motherboard. I do agree Sli is a waste of money but sometimes the best boards are SLi just something to put out there.

but the way get two harddrives are back up often, its worth a 100 bucks to get your paper back the night before its due bc your harddrive crashed

snajper69

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I agree SLI is a waste of money. I still don't see a reason to quad, but if thats what you think you will need than go for it. DDR3 no reason to think about it at this point. One extra harddrive for a buck up is a smart idea especially if you in college. Good luck.

AncientToaster

Distinguished
May 5, 2008
Thanks for all your help so far.

Forgot to mention the budget; it's edited in now ($1000 dollars), sorry about that.

Answers to questions above, notes, etc:

As far as waiting to buy the OS 'til the fall, it's really not worth it to me in order to save 60-70 bucks. I want to enjoy this thing with my brother while I'm still home, and that seems worth the sacrifice of eight extra hours at work.

This computer will be used exclusively for gaming--I have a MacBook for all the other stuff.

There's a monitor at home right now I can use, a ViewSonic VX2025wm, which is 20.1" and a 1680x1050 resolution. However, I'll be getting a new monitor when I head off to college, and might upgrade then to a 22".

Don't think I'm paying for my power.

For a computer I probably can't upgrade for two years, is it better to go quad or dual core? And which motherboard would be the best choice here?

^^ What he said. E8400/GA-P35-DS3L. If it's just for gaming, a higher-clocked dual usually beats a quad. A lower-clocked quad would only win in a few games, like FSX, SupCom and Lost Planet.

AncientToaster

Distinguished
May 5, 2008
As far as case goes, what's the best option? How much should I realistically expect to spend for a decent case? What would be a good case?

How much RAM is needed?

Here's a good case for a tight budget:

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5, $50 + $19 shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119047

This is better, but it's $84 + $20:

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137

This is a great case, if you don't mind the crazy lights :

Antec Nine Hundred Black, $80+$22
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021&Tpk=Antec+900

I wouldn't spend more than this for a case, if the total budget is $1000. Look, I spent $400 on my case and the additional fans, but I also spent another $2600 on the rest. A $400 case and a $100 video card and a $100 CPU and so on is a stupid combination, of course. You want to focus the spending on the video, then the CPU. then the rest.

RAM: 2GB is needed. 4 GB is better, if you can.