Sign in with
Your question

GeForce GTX 280, 260 clocks and prices surface

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 26, 2008 1:14:54 PM

http://www.nordichardware.com/news,7794.html

Just saw this and figured I'd update everyone on the current status of these beasts. Sorry if there's not much new here :(  I'll be interested to see how the $600 GTX280 fares against the cheaper $500 4870X2. The info is from the Inq., so take it with a grain of salt as usual. :heink:  I'm sure once official benchmarks are out the forums will be flooded with posts..... :na: 

EDIT: Some more info on the coming 4870X2: http://www.nordichardware.com/news,7796.html
May 26, 2008 1:47:17 PM

Avenger_K said:
http://www.nordichardware.com/news,7794.html

Just saw this and figured I'd update everyone on the current status of these beasts. Sorry if there's not much new here :(  I'll be interested to see how the $600 GTX280 fares against the cheaper $500 4870X2. The info is from the Inq., so take it with a grain of salt as usual. :heink:  I'm sure once official benchmarks are out the forums will be flooded with posts..... :na: 

600$ a GPU, funneh no ? I love this Nvidia jokes. Guess ill have to Crossfire in my next build. That will be....around January.
May 26, 2008 2:20:13 PM

Quote:
Yeh I was seriously considering the GT280 until i recently read the stats on the 4870 and its price compared. Will have to wait until the end of June and see whats up if the $100 difference will be worth it or not.

Yep, same here. I'm thinking the 4870X2 will be closer in performance (to the GTX280) than in price. Oh well, like you said we'll have to wait for the end of June to see how it all turns out. :cry: 
Related resources
May 26, 2008 2:36:22 PM

The 4870 is supposed to perform more or less the same as a 9800GTX(so "they" say). I'm pretty sure Nvidia will have the better performing product, but I think ATI will win with lower prices. As the global economy is in a rut people won't want to spend $450-600 on a great card when they can get a very good card for around $230 from ATI.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2008 2:47:12 PM

I know i'll be getting the gtx 280... unless the performance difference is like 10%... then it won't be worth and extra couple hundred... anyway... I won't get it till early 2009 first of because I won't have the dough, and I have other priorities till then so I'm just interested in the performance thus far
May 26, 2008 3:14:32 PM

It's been said that the jump from the 9series to the 2** series is like the jump from the 7's to the 8's. So the performance is intriguing.
May 26, 2008 3:38:29 PM

T8RR8R said:
The 4870 is supposed to perform more or less the same as a 9800GTX(so "they" say). I'm pretty sure Nvidia will have the better performing product, but I think ATI will win with lower prices. As the global economy is in a rut people won't want to spend $450-600 on a great card when they can get a very good card for around $230 from ATI.

You are the first one I have seen who has actually used his brain for something other than warcraft and took a look around.
I agree with you. The prices for this stuff is going to be their demise.
This is also what is going to kill the console industry.

Message to all:

If you are smart, you will realize that there will be no real benefit to buying any of this junk. The performance gains are marginal at best since everything has become CPU-bound, and you are getting ripped off. Don't buy anything at all.

Why is it that something new comes out and the video card you loved a day ago suddenly becomes a piece of crap? Well, it's not. There is no need to buy anything new. Keep what you have and that will pull the prices down on all this "new and revolutionary" doo doo they are currently trying to push.

I am tired of hearing people here touting all of the jargon relevant to these new features, and architectures without even having close to an understanding of them, only to use them as a selling point. I am also sick of seeing the same pattern with the supposed "leaked information" like it's top secret or something. That information is "leaked" on purpose to psychologically arouse the consumer base into thinking something good is coming, when history has proven it to be not near as good as it's touted to be in every case.

People have silicon sitting in their machines now not being used to near it's potential, and they throw it out in favor of getting stuck in the spider with a 600 dollar video card that can't do too much more.

One must ask themselves how many companies have become multi-billion dollar empires because of idiot consumers.

You want to get a slightly better card for a better price? Then don't buy anything for an entire production run from either ATI or Nvidia.
Let them croak for a while and come back to reality with their prices.
Then get your 150 dollar gtx 280 or whatever the hell instead of paying a fortune for something that wasn't worth half the price.

But if what you have works, don't buy anything!
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2008 3:42:54 PM

Quote:
I know i'll be getting the gtx 280... ... ... I won't get it till early 2009 first of because I won't have the dough

The you'd be stupid to get a GTX280, by that time they'll be starting to offer a shrunkend refresh, and unless you like buying first generation products ofr the nostalgia, I doubt you'll want a GTX280 versus the other options at that time.
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2008 3:58:06 PM

righteous said:

Why is it that something new comes out and the video card you loved a day ago suddenly becomes a piece of crap? Well, it's not. There is no need to buy anything new. Keep what you have and that will pull the prices down on all this "new and revolutionary" doo doo they are currently trying to push.

There's no need to buy anything new, but your theories on how pricing and development work are messed up. If people don't buy these products, that means there is no money to fund replacements, they will just keep the doo doo products in the market longer. If you don't want the new products, then buy the cheaper ones they replace.

Quote:
One must ask themselves how many companies have become multi-billion dollar empires because of idiot consumers.

Because of and in spite of 'idiot consumers'.

Quote:
You want to get a slightly better card for a better price? Then don't buy anything for an entire production run from either ATI or Nvidia.
Let them croak for a while and come back to reality with their prices.

Says the idiot consumer who thinks that chips manifest themselves from goodwill not R&D money. 'Let them croak' doesn't move technology forward it slows them down. It's because people buy the new product that you have a refresh every 18months, if peple didn't buy the product they push out their product lines to cover the cost of producting them.

Quote:
Then get your 150 dollar gtx 280 or whatever the hell instead of paying a fortune for something that wasn't worth half the price.

No then you pay 150-200 for an old product, like still paying $200 for a Geforce 7900GT
You want to save yourself money, then spend that $200 on a Geforce 8800GTS-512, whose price wouldn't be that laow without something new coming to replace it and making sellers drop their prices to sell off the 'old stock'.

Quote:
But if what you have works, don't buy anything!

That depends on what you mean by works.
An FX5600 still 'works' but I sure as heck wouldn't want to be stuck with one.
The best purchasing method is look to buy something once the games you play do not play where you would like them to play.
If someone has a high resolution LCD then there are very good reasons to get the new cards, however if you're still on an old monitor (as you probably are because that 1993 15" CRT 'still works' right?) with lower resolution, then the benifits of upgrading may be less to you.

However if you don't like progress, I'd suggest you're involved with the wrong passtime/industry, because it's those new products that fuel progress, not sitting back an not buying them.
BTW, why are you even using a computer, don't pen/paper still 'work' for you? :heink: 
May 26, 2008 4:03:54 PM

righteous, I agree prices are insane, but shut up. I have a god damn 7600 GT, and I'm looking to upgrade. The GTX280 will never be $150 that is close to the production cost. Now what does anger me is the idiots with 2 8800 GTXs who want to upgrade to this crap, there will not be a huge performance difference. They always say, yeah but I can't max out Crysis! Thats because Nvidia built their last few cards AROUND Crysis, that is the only game where the performance difference is large enough to differentiate the 9800 GTX from the 8800 GTX, and just barely. Also the 4870 is supposed to be as fast as a 3870 X2 which is slightly faster than an 8800 Ultra, and without the instabilities of the the design of a dual card system in one card the performance should be pretty good, if not close to the 9800 GX2. The only thing that worries me is that they are only using a mere 512mb of GDDR, even if it is GDDR5. Also Crossfire should be much more effective with 4870s than 3870 X2s, whether the 4870 X2 will be worth it, who knows. We shall see I guess.
May 26, 2008 4:12:24 PM

I plan on doing trade up for the geforce 260 because that is only a 100 dollar difference for me. I agree though that everything has become cpu bound and that is a problem that should be fixed with nahalem.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2008 4:15:48 PM

TGGA just pwned righteous... lol

anyway tgga your point about the refreshes or the smaller die makes sense to me... I just meant like what ever is top of the line, I have a 24" monitor and like being able to play games on it, so i 'd basically be getting the best card no matter what, even if the price is a little more, but unless it's something like the 8800 gtx to the 8800 ultra original price, then no way, but I think you get teh idea

=D
May 26, 2008 4:28:44 PM

@Righteous and greatgrapeape.

Your both right, just because your are both too far on the edges of the spectrum. Righteous as a point that much if this info is just hype, and tecnically is way hard to understand (microcode-level). We , the enthusiasts get the short straw to test what works, what doesnt. I somewhat gotta disagree with you grape on one thing. There should have been a bigger diference between GPUs generations. And a lower price. Although there will always be a market for High end above 500€/$ market, a flagship product, i believe those same flagship products are pushing people away from PC gaming. I always worked with/for Joe Computer, who has a friend thats engeneer, and knows a thing or two. They dont know bollocks, and they get scared by the hefty premium some cards goes, and the fact their windows doesnt boot faster.

A good point is being made although, the cards prices are getting too high. Upgrading a 5600 would be a good idea if you wanna keep playing. I have a X800XT and im severely thinking of upgrading although it still performes decently.

I know its all promocional hype, and while i was hoping to upgrade my whole system this summer, ill wait till january to buy a (possibly) CFx/SLi configuration. All this hype comes worse and worse in my eyes. I think ive just being a computers consumer for too long. Sorry about the rant mates.

Keep fighting !!!
May 26, 2008 4:43:19 PM

I'm confident there will be a significant price drop in a very short time, also I don't belive the INQ at all.
May 26, 2008 4:47:16 PM

SirCrono said:
I'm confident there will be a significant price drop in a very short time, also I don't belive the INQ at all.

Off-topic: About your signature. I prefer :

"Dont take life too seriously, you wotn get alive out of it"

May 26, 2008 4:49:02 PM

I like new products bring more competition and if u dont have the money 4 previous generation chip ..with the new one u probably will ...
Crysis i love it but the engine is not that well made ..what bothers me is the fckng distance or the world map distance that put the world limits beyond logic... cmon i miss the time when u can asign the world distance and increase the fps like hell ... tooo much processing and memory is required...
Peace
May 26, 2008 4:50:58 PM

SirCrono said:

Why would you "not believe the INQ at all" when (in this case :kaola:  ) their info is consistent with everything else we know about these cards? I admit I am no great fan of them myself, but it doesn't mean they can't ever be right.

radnor said:
Off-topic: About your signature. I prefer :

"Dont take life too seriously, you wotn get alive out of it"

Haha I agree, you certainly can't get out of life alive!
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2008 5:14:22 PM

y is everyone arguing about upgrading or wat not. most of the ppl saying not to buy this card doesnt have money. If u work hard and make money go buy the dam thing if u want the latest tech. humans r never satisfied!
May 26, 2008 5:39:36 PM

Do you guy's think upgrading to a 4870 from an 8800gt would be worth it? I have the first MSI NX8800gt that came out,the one with the crappy cooler. But i have since installed a VF900 on it.

What do you guy's think?
May 26, 2008 5:54:46 PM

xx12amanxx said:
Do you guy's think upgrading to a 4870 from an 8800gt would be worth it? I have the first MSI NX8800gt that came out,the one with the crappy cooler. But i have since installed a VF900 on it.

What do you guy's think?

It will be an upgrade, but in my opinion it probably would be better to just wait. The 8800gt is a good card, and if it plays all the games you want at the settings you want, then there is no need to upgrade.

But this is coming from someone that does not have much money. If you do have an excess of money, or are just more comfortable spending more money more often on videocards, then it might be worth it to you. Things are relative, and from my perspective, it isn't worth it.

I used to have an x800gto. I upgraded from that to an x1950pro. It was an upgrade, but not as much as I would have wanted, and the cooler on the new card was smaller, and it could not overclock as much. I am still happy with the card, I just could have been happier.

So now I try to skip a generation before upgrading. Which is what I'm doing now. I'm planning on getting a 4870 sometime after it comes out. So I'm pretty confident that this time it will be very satisfying.
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2008 5:55:28 PM

xx12amanxx said:

What do you guy's think?

r the games u play running fine? if it is i dont so y u would want to upgrade now but if ur not getting the best of the game time to upgrade. =]
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2008 6:04:53 PM

I think the naming schemes for the various video cards are there to confuse the public. Hard to tell what is a good value, unless you have someone to test all the cards and tell you what is a good value.

I think AMD has brought competition back to the discrete graphics market, and even the IGP market as well. I find it encouraging.
May 26, 2008 6:10:27 PM

yadge said:
It will be an upgrade, but in my opinion it probably would be better to just wait. The 8800gt is a good card, and if it plays all the games you want at the settings you want, then there is no need to upgrade.

But this is coming from someone that does not have much money. If you do have an excess of money, or are just more comfortable spending more money more often on videocards, then it might be worth it to you. Things are relative, and from my perspective, it isn't worth it.

I used to have an x800gto. I upgraded from that to an x1950pro. It was an upgrade, but not as much as I would have wanted, and the cooler on the new card was smaller, and it could not overclock as much. I am still happy with the card, I just could have been happier.

So now I try to skip a generation before upgrading. Which is what I'm doing now. I'm planning on getting a 4870 sometime after it comes out. So I'm pretty confident that this time it will be very satisfying.

It's not that i have alot of money but im a recently divorced man who lives on his own and has maybe 2-300$ a month to spend on himself..

My card now run's all games great but then at the same time i enjoy buying new hardware and waiting for it to come in the mail and installing it ya know!! And i would'nt mind having an ATI card in my setup besides an Nvidia card even though i have never bought an ATI card before.

May 26, 2008 6:29:31 PM

The flaw people have is with the term "upgrade"....

So many computer users assume that if an "upgrade" or "update" is available, they need to get it...

Probably because of Windows Update :)  People see that there are critical recommended updates, and without even reading the descriptions, they download and install them - after all, if I have all the updates, I must have the best version of Windows!!

Of course, once you do that, you start whining about how Windows is a lot slower... and you can't uninstall most of those updates....

Same thing with video cards... You have a perfectly good video card already - some 8 series or maybe even a 9 series card... All your games run perfectly fine... But now there's a new card (I'm calling it the 10 series, even if nvidia wants to call it the 280!), and you need to have it!

WHY do you need to have it? No game (with the possible exception of Crysis at insane resolutions) will take advantage of this new card for about a year... And if you waited a year, that card will be drastically cheaper...

Much like a Windows Update, don't install something new UNTIL YOU NEED IT!!
May 26, 2008 6:30:43 PM

xx12amanxx said:
It's not that i have alot of money but im a recently divorced man who lives on his own and has maybe 2-300$ a month to spend on himself..

My card now run's all games great but then at the same time i enjoy buying new hardware and waiting for it to come in the mail and installing it ya know!! And i would'nt mind having an ATI card in my setup besides an Nvidia card even though i have never bought an ATI card before.

I know what you mean. I love that too. Compared to me, you do have money. Because I am an unemployed 17 year old. So I have no income (although I am trying to get a job....).

If I had two to three hundred dollars a month to spend on whatever I wanted, then I probably would definitely do it. To me the researching, getting, isntalling, testing, and just having the hardware is almost better than actually using it. I just love everything about it.

But then again, maybe you should spend the money on some other component that isn't as good as your 8800gt. But it looks like your other components are pretty decent as well.... maybe you can get a new monitor or speakers or something like that.

I just know that whenever I have extra money and all my components are pretty good, I'll spend it on the non performance parts. Like a really nice keyboard or mouse or case or whatever. And you still get the feeling of buying new stuff and waiting for it and getting it and installing it and all that.
May 26, 2008 6:42:46 PM

frodbonzi said:
The flaw people have is with the term "upgrade"....

So many computer users assume that if an "upgrade" or "update" is available, they need to get it...

Probably because of Windows Update :)  People see that there are critical recommended updates, and without even reading the descriptions, they download and install them - after all, if I have all the updates, I must have the best version of Windows!!

Of course, once you do that, you start whining about how Windows is a lot slower... and you can't uninstall most of those updates....

Same thing with video cards... You have a perfectly good video card already - some 8 series or maybe even a 9 series card... All your games run perfectly fine... But now there's a new card (I'm calling it the 10 series, even if nvidia wants to call it the 280!), and you need to have it!

WHY do you need to have it? No game (with the possible exception of Crysis at insane resolutions) will take advantage of this new card for about a year... And if you waited a year, that card will be drastically cheaper...

True..very true actually...but one flaw.

one word..."WANT"

Im the kind of guy who enjoy's buying new hardware and waiting for it in the mail then getting it and playing with it for awhile before i install it..It's not alway's about result's some people buy becuase like me they enjoy putting on the sticker checking out the box and gloating online about there purchase.

It's fun and it makes me feel good.... :) 
May 26, 2008 6:52:50 PM

I want to fck free i want to fckkkkkkk freeeeeee
May 26, 2008 6:59:22 PM

frodbonzi said:

Indeed :-)

I am waiting for my vacation to make the SP3 upgrade, because I have time to fight when nothing does not work anymore...
I allso have desent GPU AtiX1800, that has served me well, but some new games are getting too much, so I think that now is the time.

So, if something is not broken, don't fix it. (Unless you really won't to do it. It can be fun to change something... if you have time to fix when Murphys law strikes.)

And yes, the GTX 280 will be expensive as long as it is prodused. It's big, it's expensive, it's complex. Later we will definitely see GPU's that are as fast as it, but are cheaper to produse, so cheaper to consumer. But it will take some time.
May 26, 2008 9:39:16 PM

I am somehow concerned about theoretical power of the new 280/260 series.

Lets do some simple math here:

old 9800GTX have 128 SPx1.78GHz = 227GOps
new 280GTX have 240 SPx1.3 GHz = 312GOps

which is less than 40% more raw computational power

also 9800 - 64 TMU x 650 MHz = 41.6 GT/s
and 280 - 80 TMU x 600 MHz = 48.0 GT/s

which is less than 20% more Fill Rate

DDR3 memory will operate on similar rates.

So does that mean that the new 280GTX will be less than 40% faster than a 980GTX.

I really hope I am wrong in my calculations but if I am right Nvidia are in deep **** after new ATI 770

And we are talking only theoretical performance, which is always more than actual (due to drivers efficiency)

Do you people agree or disagree?
May 26, 2008 10:22:52 PM

It's a different architecture though, so there are other factors then just all that.

ATI's graphics cards have more impressive specifications, but they do not necassarily perform better.

You have to take the architecture into account.
May 26, 2008 10:24:08 PM

well, they say the new shaders are 50% faster as well, and it has a bigger memory bus and well as 1gb of ram. it should be a bit faster.
May 26, 2008 10:30:14 PM

yeah it'll be faster if you want the fastest of the fastest, but it sure won't be worth the price.
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2008 11:18:11 PM

Not really a rant, more of a clarification. :whistle: 

radnor said:
@Righteous and greatgrapeape.

Your both right, just because your are both too far on the edges of the spectrum.

I don't think I'm on the edge of the spectrum, I haven't bought a high end card in about 5 years, back when I had 3-4 computers (One for Gaming, one Dual CPU for Editing and one or two laptops [Fujitsu Stylistic1200 Tablet for a while]). For me there was a point when I was in my 20s, when I spent a mint on new computers, but now I'm laptop only, and I just buy what suits me as I only have limited time for gaming and other priorities (spend more on skiing in a day than many people spend on a graphics card for their 1-2year life cycle). It's like SLi/Xfire, it's no my bag baby, but I understand those who want and use it (even if they don't 'need' it by someone else's terms , perhaps they need it for self-actualisation :lol:  ). However I do upgrade almost yearly, and have for quite some time. Whether it's components or whole systems, I find it's the way to make sure I have only mild bottlenecks and can still make my old PC/parts useful for friends. And I've been doing this since the original IBM PC days when I sold my monochrome monitor to upgrade to an electrohome CGA (neither the PET nor the Apple ][ had much to refresh, just upgrade/add memory). My edge of the spectrum would be pro-technology if anything.

Quote:
I somewhat gotta disagree with you grape on one thing. There should have been a bigger diference between GPUs generations. And a lower price. Although there will always be a market for High end above 500€/$ market, a flagship product, i believe those same flagship products are pushing people away from PC gaming. I always worked with/for Joe Computer, who has a friend thats engeneer, and knows a thing or two. They dont know bollocks, and they get scared by the hefty premium some cards goes, and the fact their windows doesnt boot faster.

Well I disagree with the difference between GPU generations, because it's somewhat typical the the improvement is usually more mild than the weak GF7900 to strong GF8800 jump, for each generation there were noticeable differences, but also people saying 'well it's not that much better than the previous one except in the extreme situations'. The two biggest 'there's no denying a big leap in performance' is the R9700 and the GF8800, they did make significant shifts, but they are just generation changes, they were architecture changes which were huge compared to their previous models.
As for the price, if you think about the price of the GF6800U/X800XTPE and GF7800GTX and X1800XT at launch, these prices are pretty much in line. The deals have always come at the end of the generation, the biggest problem is people don't know when to buy and then don't do any research (they do more to buy a $200 iPod or garden furniture than computer parts, relying on the naive idea that a higher number means better performance.

I also disagree with the notion that cards are getting too expensive (they are NOTHING compared to CPUs) and considering the launch price and unavailability of previous generations I'd say the $500-600 market is the norm for the 'king-of-tthe-hill' eWang part. The thing most people don't realize is that that part is not meant for them. In the graphics card market, everyone thinks they're a Ferrari or at least BMW driver, when in fact they should be buying a nice reliable Toyota after the market has fed the real high end buyers, and then if they want they can buy a late model BMW (GF8800GTS-640) or the brand new Toyota (GF9600GT) or Lexus (8800GT) when the time comes.

No one is forced to buy any of this, it's just a question of whether you will get your money's worth from the benefits (big or small they provide). I don't 'need' them, but I have 5 pairs of Skis because I want them and DO use them. However I wouldn't expect others to do so, nor would I want anyone telling me what to do with my money. And I'd also be damned annoyed if Salomon or Atomic slowed production and lowered prices just to cater to the lowe-rent groom runners and the parkers exclusively because that's where the majority are.

The main thing is to look at your needs and wants, and then pick them. The companies likely know more about people's need and wants than we do, and the reality is that in the first 2-4 weeks $600 ensure that the cards get to those who are really wanting them for their 30" LCDs and such and are replacing the last latest/greatest, and not to the people who've been saving up for 2-3 years to finally get a card. It's the harsh reality of limited resources, at launch the MSRP is meant to be high to ensure that of that initial 10,000 cards avialable, only those that really want them get them, and then after the X number of weeks later, then the sales start kicking in.

I wouldn't be surprised if 4-6 weeks after launch you see the price of the GTX-280 & HD4800s lowered by about $50 as part of Multi-tiered prcing strategy going from an initial high MSRP (reduces the price gouging more too and keeps most of that money in their own pockets) to a much lower e-tailer price within weeks afterward, and then drop again months afterwards.

Anywhoo, I'm not going to be buying one of these cards, but I might get a mobile HD4K if the price/performance/features is worth it in a montevina laptop, not because I need one, but I'd like a new one in the fall when I usually buy toys before devoting all my spending to skiing and beer to keep me warm. [:thegreatgrapeape:7]
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2008 11:52:25 PM

hey how much performance difference will there be between gtx 280 and 260?
May 27, 2008 12:22:16 AM

yadge said:
It's a different architecture though, so there are other factors then just all that.

ATI's graphics cards have more impressive specifications, but they do not necassarily perform better.

You have to take the architecture into account.

1820304,34,134729 said:

What's the difference in the architecture? I haven't heard of many changes. Does anyone knows any details. Are the new SP's somewhat different, more like ATI's 96 x 5 or something?

If they are like the old ones then there is no much of a change in the architecture, if not any at all.

About the memory bus, remember 4870 have DDR5 working on near 4GHz which is about 2x than the 280 so 256 bit bus of the 4870 will be almost the same as 512 bit of the 280.

My speculations are if 4870 beats the 9800GTX with 10-20%, then 4870x2 will beat the 280GTX, but we will see.

We know ATI are much more dependent architecture on the drivers so lets hope ATI dont drop the ball there
May 27, 2008 1:21:34 AM

rawsteel said:
What's the difference in the architecture? I haven't heard of many changes. Does anyone knows any details. Are the new SP's somewhat different, more like ATI's 96 x 5 or something?

If they are like the old ones then there is no much of a change in the architecture, if not any at all.

I think there are other factors in the architecture than just the specifications that the companies can give us. I'm pretty sure there are things that I wouldn't really understand about the architecture that they can change or improve to get more performance.

Like the difference from Pentium 4 to Core 2 Duo. They specifications for the Core 2 Duo aren't really that impressive(Ghz) but they still do a lot better than the Pentium 4's.

But then again I might be wrong and you might be right, I really don't know that much about all this.
May 27, 2008 1:44:35 AM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
I also disagree with the notion that cards are getting too expensive (they are NOTHING compared to CPUs) and considering the launch price and unavailability of previous generations I'd say the $500-600 market is the norm for the 'king-of-tthe-hill' eWang part. The thing most people don't realize is that that part is not meant for them. In the graphics card market, everyone thinks they're a Ferrari or at least BMW driver, when in fact they should be buying a nice reliable Toyota after the market has fed the real high end buyers, and then if they want they can buy a late model BMW (GF8800GTS-640) or the brand new Toyota (GF9600GT) or Lexus (8800GT) when the time comes

First of all, classic, second of all you are absolutely right. I had not thought of it before, but yeah CPUs ARE insane right now. You know what the difference between a Q9770 and my E6750 is? 2FPS? 5 FPS? 3 seconds of start up time? 3 seconds of shut down time? Miscellaneous points from some program? 30 minutes even for HD encoding?!?!?! No, about $1300, thats what. The only true difference is in HD encoding and even that is only a 5 minute difference between a Q9770 and a Q9450, also thats $1100 difference! AMD must get back in the game, because Intel is killing me. :cry: 
May 27, 2008 1:45:17 AM

Yeah, I think it is time for me to upgrade, that XFX 7600 GT XXX is getting kind of dated lol. I plan on either going for 2 4870s or a GTX280, which ever gives the best performance.
May 27, 2008 2:22:13 AM

The_Blood_Raven said:
Yeah, I think it is time for me to upgrade, that XFX 7600 GT XXX is getting kind of dated lol. I plan on either going for 2 4870s or a GTX280, which ever gives the best performance.

That should be a pretty nice boost, lol.
May 27, 2008 4:09:50 PM

I do believe ATI Crossfire and NVIDIA SLI are just marketing rubbish and create more problems than the benefits. How many times do I read of people having problems with such configurations, it's just a Marketing ploy for someone to buy two of their cards rather than one.

As for Graphics technology in general, I do believe that someone coming from a slower older card to say a 9800GTX would see a huge performance gain for example. I just don't see the point of coming from an already perfectly capable fast card to the 'latest' just for the sake of having the newest technology. Yeah it's nice to have new technology, but is commonsense disappearing? Isn't it better to upgrade when the upgrade offers something significant over existing hardware?

I'll upgrade when I need it, not because ATI and Nvidia say I should.
!