Sign in with
Your question

HDPARM Western Digital Scorpio Blue (standby mode?)

Last response: in Storage
August 6, 2009 7:20:09 PM

Hi,

has anyone managed to actually get their drive into standby mode on a linux environment?

I'm even trying to manually force standby by issuing a hdparm -y command.
I'm measuring the current on the power supply and it seems the lowest i get is to power mode 3 which is 170 A on top of my embedded setup.

I also can't see any power improvements between a sleep and a standby command hdparm -y vs hdparm -Y

Anyone got any tips or hints? How does Tom's usually go about testing their idle or standby power consumptions? I see a lot of stats on the website, but I'm curious to as to their test procedure for measuring it.

Thanks in Advance!
acchao
a b G Storage
August 7, 2009 6:11:49 AM

Hey acchao.

AFAIK, Tom's isn't exactly a Linux-centric website, but have you checked the Linux section of this forum?
m
l
August 7, 2009 4:48:45 PM

Well, regardless of the OS, the ATA commands should be the same 0xE0 to standby, 0xE6 to sleep. If there is also no difference between the two commands on a windows setup, then I'll know its not my software. If people are seeing the power reduction 50A/30A respectively for the standby/sleep commands, then It's an issue with my embedded system or drivers =/ .

In the meantime I'll check out the linux section thanks r_manic.
m
l
!