Lowering Memory Timings

redrage

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
Is it possible to lower memory timings, lower than what they are rated at while still keeping the same mhz? I want to get memory that is over 1000mhz rated and will run in really low timings but i can't find any that i want. Is it possible to have 1000mhz+ DDR2 Memory with 4-4-4-12 timings?

doomturkey

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Its probably possible, but you will have to add more voltage than the memory is rated for. This will probably kill the chips pretty fast.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
Yes, although it depends on the chip. Ram that overclocks well also tend to do well when tightening timing at the same clock. My 800mhz ddr2 is rated at 5/4/4/15 timing at 2.0v, I run it at 4/3/3/12 timing at 1.95v.

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
You can try it, it is not guaranteed to work which is why that is not what it is spec'd for. IN that lottery, some do better than others. All you can do is get the best memory you can find and try it, if it does't work you'd just have to settle for the same performance as everyone else, which by the way, is what you should be doing anyhow because nobody actually needs to push it every single build to get some trivial small increase. Being technologically fit means being able to use existing tech, not always thinking "what if it were a tiny bit faster". By that I mean a year or two from now the difference would be boring and applications are designed to run on contemporary hardware, not just tommorrow's hardware.

That's not meant to be an insult, I'm just recounting years of experience overclocking including tweaking the memory, that it's an interesting thing to do at first but in the larger picture only the overclock that is cheap and easy is worth the bother. That just means don't worry about the little things, you can still get a good o'c even if you can't hit some number you presently think is important with the memory timings.