Sign in with
Your question

Searching for Reviews of Blu-Ray Burner Drives

Last response: in Storage
August 6, 2009 8:57:35 PM

I'm a SysAdmin for CSC. I've got a bunch of servers, and use big tape libraries for most backups, and DVD burners for small one-off backups. But sometimes we need something that fits in between DVD and LTO-4 capacity. We want to add a Blu-Ray burner drive to a PC - one that can handle write-once and rewritable disks, and in the 25 and 50 GB formats. The question is, Which drive to buy? I'm having a hard time finding decent independent reviews of Blu-Ray burner drives for PCs. Anyone have any recommendations, or any pointers to good review sources? Thanks.
a b G Storage
August 7, 2009 5:58:06 AM

NewEgg.com definitely. Some reviews are a bit subjective, but at least all opinions are from people who've actually purchased and use the products.
m
l
August 7, 2009 6:17:42 AM

WSwallow said:
I'm a SysAdmin for CSC. I've got a bunch of servers, and use big tape libraries for most backups, and DVD burners for small one-off backups. But sometimes we need something that fits in between DVD and LTO-4 capacity. We want to add a Blu-Ray burner drive to a PC - one that can handle write-once and rewritable disks, and in the 25 and 50 GB formats. The question is, Which drive to buy? I'm having a hard time finding decent independent reviews of Blu-Ray burner drives for PCs. Anyone have any recommendations, or any pointers to good review sources? Thanks.

pioneer makes an 8x blu ray burner for $200...as far as I know 8x is the fastest widely available and affordable BR burner.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
August 7, 2009 1:20:56 PM

cdfreaks.com and cdrinfo.com are the two major sites that does extensive testing for comparative data.

I occasionally read NewEgg user comments to get a sample size of reliability.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 9, 2009 9:26:36 PM

I have been using my LG Blue Ray Burner for over 1.5 year. I burned back up or image files on it and videos.

To date my drives and BR-Discs are in good condition. I never had issues with it. Playback and Burning function of my drive is so far so good.

I only use rewritable 25Gbyte Disc. The disc are still expensive but is a good alternative for archiving.

OS is Vista-Ultimate 64. Writing software that i use is from Cyberlink InstantBurn and Power2Go. I have not tried other software.

I can't comment on other brand.

m
l
!