Sign in with
Your question

8800GT 512MB vs 1GB

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 26, 2008 7:12:27 PM

The cheapest 512MB is $169, while the 1GB version is only $30 more. How much of a difference does the extra memory make? Even if its minimal, I'm still probably going to buy it 'cause $30 isn't really much at all for an extra boost. Does anyone know of any benchmarks comparing the two versions, or, even better, have any personal experience with them? Thanks in advance.

More about : 8800gt 512mb 1gb

May 26, 2008 7:16:52 PM

What resolution are you using?
Related resources
May 26, 2008 7:27:12 PM

Anything higher than 1280x720 is ok with me, but my monitor goes up to 1920x1200 so it'd be nice to use its full potential.
May 26, 2008 7:45:02 PM

I stepped up my two 8800gt 512mb for two 800gt akimbo 1gb. I primarily play at 1900x1200 adn 2048x1536 resolutions. I noticed a nice jump in headroom from my old cards. I can play at those resolutions and still add 8-16x AF as well as 2-4x AA without hurting the end frame rate much if at all. I also use a lot of texture modifications for Oblivion so that is the main reason why I wanted more video memory. The cooler on the 1gb version is 100% better in my opinion. I used to run idle around 50c with my old cards, and with the new ones I run idle at 35c. And they run quieter. If you are going to game at 1920x1200 these cards are worth it. But keep in mind that the new 9900 g280 and g260 models are almost out... (06-18-08) Those are sporty some sweet memory too! g280 will have 1gb mem and 512mb mem bandwidth. the g260 will have something like 850mb memory and 450mb mem bandwidth. (err something close to that)... Both of those cards will run laps around anything out now.
May 26, 2008 8:12:46 PM

it sounds like you already have your mind made up, just spend the extra $30 and get the 1gb
May 26, 2008 8:33:01 PM

col-p-todd said:
Just go for the 512 the 1gb does not perform any better than than a good 512MB. I would recomend this on:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That one will blow the Dust right into the case lol...If I would get one, I would get a dual slot version so air circulates out of the case:) 
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
May 26, 2008 8:48:04 PM

Running 2 cards in SLI with 1 gig IS going to show a better relative performance gain with more memory over running just 1 card with more memory. Adding another card in SLI spreads the load on the GPU's and allows you to start cranking up the resolution and eye candy, and make use of some of the extra memory.
Also, the 256 bit memory buss becomes a bottleneck for over 512 meg of memory. That is why the 8800GTX with 768 meg of memory has a 384 bit wide memory buss, and these cards are still king of the hill when you really start cranking things up.
In other words, on the single card, the extra 512 meg of memory won't do you much good, as you will simply run out of GPU power first. In fact, at 1900x1200, a 512 card actually outscores the 1gig card in many scenerios.
But don't take my word for it, here are some benchmarks to prove it:
http://en.expreview.com/2007/12/30/review8800gt-how-man...
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
May 26, 2008 8:55:03 PM

L1qu1d said:
That one will blow the Dust right into the case lol...If I would get one, I would get a dual slot version so air circulates out of the case :) 

;)  For the extra $30, I would buy an 8800GTS 512 (g92) card over ANY 8800GT.
They are a little faster, have better cooling, more stream processors, and overclock extremely well.
May 26, 2008 8:57:14 PM

Quote:
8800GT 512MB vs 1GB

8800GTS 512mb.
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
May 26, 2008 9:04:44 PM

^that's the ticket!
May 26, 2008 9:10:59 PM

hey don't tell me tell him lol I would also go for the 8800 GTS:) 
May 26, 2008 9:15:55 PM

Quote:
it sounds like you already have your mind made up, just spend the extra $30 and get the 1gb.

Kind of.. I just wanted to know how much of a gain I should expect over the 512MB version. Really, to me, $30 is practically nothing, and the extra half gig of memory sounds like it would be very beneficial in future games. And I do plan on going SLI shortly after I buy the first card.
May 26, 2008 9:31:39 PM

Quote:
They are a little faster, have better cooling, more stream processors, and overclock extremely well.

Huh? Every benchmark I've seen, including the VGA charts here, show the 8800 GT to be faster than the GTS.

Quote:
get that one. It's a beast.

Its also $370. ~$200 is my price limit.
May 26, 2008 9:32:28 PM

prejudged_fire said:
Quote:
it sounds like you already have your mind made up, just spend the extra $30 and get the 1gb.

Kind of.. I just wanted to know how much of a gain I should expect over the 512MB version. Really, to me, $30 is practically nothing, and the extra half gig of memory sounds like it would be very beneficial in future games. And I do plan on going SLI shortly after I buy the first card.

If the $30 is nothing to you, why not go for the GTS? It doesn't make sense to me.
May 26, 2008 9:33:36 PM

prejudged_fire said:
Quote:

Huh? Every benchmark I've seen, including the VGA charts here, show the 8800 GT to be faster than the GTS.

I bet you're looking at the old G80 GTS. The new G92 GTS 512mb is different, and rivals the GTX.
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
May 26, 2008 9:35:09 PM

prejudged_fire said:

it sounds like you already have your mind made up, just spend the extra $30 and get the 1gb. [/msgquoted said:

]

Spend the extra $30 on a GTS....then buy another GTS later.....if you really want to get the most out of that $30.
May 26, 2008 9:37:36 PM

Quote:
I bet you're looking at the old G80 GTS. The new G92 GTS 512mb is different, and rivals the GTX.

Oh..
Any benchmarks for the new ones then? Toms uses the G80.

EDIT: Nevermind, this is a good'un.
The G92 GTS even beats the GTX! O.o Why hadn't I heard of the new ones before? I was about to waste my money on a GT when this card out-performs it at the same price! Thanks very much for the info, guys!
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
May 26, 2008 10:45:54 PM

prejudged_fire said:

I bet you're looking at the old G80 GTS. The new G92 GTS 512mb is different, and rivals the GTX. [/msgquoted said:

Oh..

The G92 GTS even beats the GTX! O.o Why hadn't I heard of the new ones before? I was about to waste my money on a GT when this card out-performs it at the same price! Thanks very much for the info, guys!

]

Oh..

;)  :D  , Yep, I say this over and over and over and over......
Why buy an 8800GT for almost the same money, or very little less anyway.
Why buy an 9800GTX for $100-$150 more?
The 8800GTS (g92 512 meg Version) is just a smoking card for the money, there ain't much out there that will touch it at ANY price.....unless you SLI something.
I have to get an SLI board and another one before they stop making them.
May 27, 2008 12:59:45 AM

SLi is not the perfect technology people seem to make it out to be? one good card will outperform 2 mediocre... Now i realise that the 88GT or GTS arent exactly mediocre.. But with the new Nvidia and ATi cards listed for release VERY VERY shortly, I don't understand why anyone would buy 2 cards right now? I'd say get the cheapest 8800GT you can get your hands on and save that extra money. Put it towards a newer series card when the prices make sense..

hell that's just my cents, but then, i don't have money to burn.
May 27, 2008 1:05:05 AM

If your gonna wait for the new cards, why buy ANYTHING now?
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
May 27, 2008 1:33:40 AM

gow87 said:
SLi is not the perfect technology people seem to make it out to be? one good card will outperform 2 mediocre... Now i realise that the 88GT or GTS arent exactly mediocre.. But with the new Nvidia and ATi cards listed for release VERY VERY shortly, I don't understand why anyone would buy 2 cards right now? I'd say get the cheapest 8800GT you can get your hands on and save that extra money. Put it towards a newer series card when the prices make sense..

hell that's just my cents, but then, i don't have money to burn.

Well, I would by another and SLI it because I already have one.
I never recommend buying anything new for a year. You pay a steep premium, deal with bugs,(the "new 9800GTX everybody suddenly wants is a card that comes to mind right now) although you don't have to worry about the bugs, after all it is not "new", just a rebranded 8800 series that costs a cool $100 more. I'll believe how great the new cards are in 6 months after various reiviews, the bugs are worked out, and maybe then in another 6 months when the prices come down.
The actual release will see prices at least 25%-30% higher than what everyone thinks. Remember the 8800GT's? Supposed to be under $199 at release. They were going for $269-299 at best for months after the release date. Only now are the coming down to or dropping below the expected release price!
May 27, 2008 1:40:50 AM

jitpublisher said:
Well, I would by another and SLI it because I already have one.
I never recommend buying anything new for a year. You pay a steep premium, deal with bugs,(the "new 9800GTX everybody suddenly wants is a card that comes to mind right now) although you don't have to worry about the bugs, after all it is not "new", just a rebranded 8800 series that costs a cool $100 more. I'll believe how great the new cards are in 6 months after various reiviews, the bugs are worked out, and maybe then in another 6 months when the prices come down.
The actual release will see prices at least 25%-30% higher than what everyone thinks. Remember the 8800GT's? Supposed to be under $199 at release. They were going for $269-299 at best for months after the release date. Only now are the coming down to or dropping below the expected release price!

Yep, I thought I was being smart waiting until after the holiday rush to buy my 8800GT (February..). Eventually I gave up on the price drop and just bought it at $250 + an HR-03 ($50). I think it was well spent nonetheless. The 8800GTS 512MB wasn't out yet.
May 27, 2008 6:34:32 PM

Agh... Does anyone have any more info on the performance on the upcoming 9900's? I thought the 9-series was geared toward the mid-range performance machines, and the 8-series is still the best for mid to high end gaming?

I'm having a hard time following all of this. The GTS 512 G92 is still the best buy even though the new cards are coming out soon? Is that what you're saying?
May 27, 2008 9:00:10 PM

prejudged_fire said:
Agh... Does anyone have any more info on the performance on the upcoming 9900's? I thought the 9-series was geared toward the mid-range performance machines, and the 8-series is still the best for mid to high end gaming?

I'm having a hard time following all of this. The GTS 512 G92 is still the best buy even though the new cards are coming out soon? Is that what you're saying?

There is no 99xx series. There's a new GTX 280 and 260 coming out on the high end, though.
May 28, 2008 1:56:23 PM

far327 said:
Quote:
Are GTX 280 and 260 just other names for the 9900? They seem to be used interchangeably.

Nvidia is no longer using the 99xx planned name scheme. They are changing to 260 GT and 280 GTX for the newest batch of cards to "lessen the confusion".

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia-GeForce,5400.ht...

Here are the latest confirmed specs for the new cards...

http://www.megagames.com/news/html/hardware/nextgenerat...

To "lesson the confusion"....I love Nvidia.....if they'd just move on to the 10,xxx series everyone would be happy (or at least I would :kaola:  )

@OP +1 for the GTS512 if you're buying now, but like they others said it might be best to wait a bit.

Although I just thought of something. Has anyone had any experience with Evga's step-up program? The OP could always buy an 8800GT/GTS512 from Evga and then step up to the new cards when they are released........
May 28, 2008 6:44:09 PM

Quote:
Nvidia is no longer using the 99xx planned name scheme. They are changing to 260 GT and 280 GTX for the newest batch of cards to "lessen the confusion".

Ahh I see. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Although I just thought of something. Has anyone had any experience with Evga's step-up program? The OP could always buy an 8800GT/GTS512 from Evga and then step up to the new cards when they are released......

Yes, I thought of that too, only EVGA's card is $60 over the sweet spot in my price range. I'm thinking maybe just not get anything yet and save my money till the new series comes out, read the reviews, research the prices and benchmarks, and then decide if its better than the GTS 512 (which will hopefully drop in price by that time too).
May 28, 2008 8:48:17 PM

prejudged_fire said:

Quote:
Although I just thought of something. Has anyone had any experience with Evga's step-up program? The OP could always buy an 8800GT/GTS512 from Evga and then step up to the new cards when they are released......

Yes, I thought of that too, only EVGA's card is $60 over the sweet spot in my price range. I'm thinking maybe just not get anything yet and save my money till the new series comes out, read the reviews, research the prices and benchmarks, and then decide if its better than the GTS 512 (which will hopefully drop in price by that time too).

Is this out of your price range? ;)  You could always get this and use the step-up later on, but I like your plan of just waiting and researching.......
May 29, 2008 12:21:58 AM

That is definitely in my price range, yes. But if I were to buy the GT, it would be in hopes that the new series is worth stepping up to (you still have to pay the price difference). If it turns out the new series is crap, then I'm stuck with a GT when I could have gotten a G92 GTS from a different brand that would be in my price range. See what I'm saying?
May 29, 2008 1:59:08 AM

prejudged_fire said:
That is definitely in my price range, yes. But if I were to buy the GT, it would be in hopes that the new series is worth stepping up to (you still have to pay the price difference). If it turns out the new series is crap, then I'm stuck with a GT when I could have gotten a G92 GTS from a different brand that would be in my price range. See what I'm saying?

I understand your point, just keep in mind that the performance difference between an 8800GT and a GTS512 is generally quite small. Still you'd do fine with either of those cards, and certainly should not regret a purchase of either.
May 29, 2008 2:20:21 PM

The GTX 280 or GTX 260 will definitely be more powerful. http://www.nordichardware.com/news,7809.html It shows that in 3dmark vantage that the gtx 260 scores even higher than the 9800gx2 and it is 2x8800gts in sli so i would say that would be twice the performance of the eight series.
May 29, 2008 3:08:21 PM

darthvaderkenneth said:
The GTX 280 or GTX 260 will definitely be more powerful. http://www.nordichardware.com/news,7809.html It shows that in 3dmark vantage that the gtx 260 scores even higher than the 9800gx2 and it is 2x8800gts in sli so i would say that would be twice the performance of the eight series.

Yeah I just posted that over here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/251188-33-interesting...

Just wait and see, and then decide what's best for you . Come check out the discussion and read my thoughts on the performance of the 4870X2. GL with whatever card you decide on. :D 
May 29, 2008 10:50:36 PM

Quote:
I understand your point, just keep in mind that the performance difference between an 8800GT and a GTS512 is generally quite small.

Not according to the benchmark I linked to earlier: (talking about Crysis)
Quote:
At the maximum resolution we tested (1920 x 1080), the GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB was actually just over 30 % faster than the GeForce 8800 GT. Truly amazing performance.

Quote:
Still you'd do fine with either of those cards, and certainly should not regret a purchase of either.

Maybe not regret, but it'd still bug the heck out of me knowing I could've gotten better performance for just about the same price. I dont know, maybe its just me?

Quote:
Just wait and see, and then decide what's best for you . Come check out the discussion and read my thoughts on the performance of the 4870X2. GL with whatever card you decide on.

Sounds like a plan. With potential price drops and new benchmarks right around the corner, it'd be silly to buy right now. I just hope I can hold on to my money till then, it burns holes in my pockets somethin' fierce :) 
May 29, 2008 11:13:23 PM

prejudged_fire said:
Quote:
I understand your point, just keep in mind that the performance difference between an 8800GT and a GTS512 is generally quite small.

Not according to the benchmark I linked to earlier.

Quote:
Still you'd do fine with either of those cards, and certainly should not regret a purchase of either.

Maybe not regret, but it'd still bug the heck out of me knowing I could've gotten better performance for just about the same price. I dont know, maybe its just me?

Quote:
Just wait and see, and then decide what's best for you . Come check out the discussion and read my thoughts on the performance of the 4870X2. GL with whatever card you decide on.

Sounds like a plan. With potential price drops and new benchmarks right around the corner, it'd be silly to buy right now. I just hope I can hold on to my money till then, it burns holes in my pockets somethin' fierce :) 

It's not just you. :ange:  After I bought my first real PC I kept checking up on everything that came out and wishing I'd waited just a little longer!
May 29, 2008 11:26:28 PM

Any idea when the new cards are gonna come out. I'd like to buy asap but might wait in hopes of the new cards making 8800 cheaper
May 30, 2008 12:14:31 AM

Earlier in this thread:
Quote:
But keep in mind that the new 9900 g280 and g260 models are almost out... (06-18-08)

Or shortly thereafter.
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2008 2:45:46 AM

Probably to late, but maybe this will help someone else. I just did the 9600GT vs 8800GT debate with myself the last couple days. Here's what I ended up finding and ordering. :) 

ECS N8800GTS-512MX GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB

It's $219.00 - $50 MIR = $169.00 (Rebate expires 5/31/08)

So after rebate its the same as the cheapest 8800GT you found.

Now, if you really want an 8800 GT I'd hit up Tigerdirect.com

They've got an XFX 8800GT for $179.00 - $30 MIR (also expires 5/31/08)
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2008 5:44:13 AM

I'm with those who say forge the 1Gb and go 8800GT 512MB or 8800GTS 512MB.

I only skimmed, so forgive me if this was mentioned, But I would like to see 8800GT 512MB and 1GB as well as 8800GTS 512MB all in SLI. I would not be surprised to see settings where 1GB would then pull ahead and at settings dual GPU's have the power to exploit and play at. One G92 really doesn't have the brawn to handle such settings. Two G92 sure might.
!