Sign in with
Your question

question bout graphics cards using ram

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 26, 2008 7:34:06 PM

hi i was wandering if someone could answer my question please.. if i have 1 gb ram and i get a 512mb vid card then does that mean that i now only have 512 mb ram? does the vid card give u more ram or take it from u? i kinda think it gives u more ram for when i installed my 256mb 8400 gs and i ran dxdiag it showed me as going from bout 960 mb to almost 1024mb.
May 26, 2008 8:00:49 PM

the video card uses its own memory, you will still have 1gb of system memory. your video card will have 512 of its own to use, its dedicated to the video card.
May 26, 2008 11:44:40 PM

Bubba82 said:
hi i was wandering if someone could answer my question please.. if i have 1 gb ram and i get a 512mb vid card then does that mean that i now only have 512 mb ram? does the vid card give u more ram or take it from u? i kinda think it gives u more ram for when i installed my 256mb 8400 gs and i ran dxdiag it showed me as going from bout 960 mb to almost 1024mb.

Your total system RAM stays the same when you install a new video card. Like Stoner said, it's dedicated. The change you saw when you installed the 8400 gs was because your integrated card was using system RAM, since it didn't have any of its own. Your computer always had 1024mb, the integrated video adapter was using 64mb of RAM to power itself. But, now say you install a 512mb card, you won't see your system RAM go up anymore, because the integrated card isn't drawing from it.
Related resources
!