Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard+CPU FSB Compatibility Question

Last response: in CPUs

Will my motherboard support the processor?

Total: 9 votes (2 blank votes)

• Yes.
  • 72 %
  • No.
  • 29 %
June 15, 2008 10:10:16 PM

I would be most appreciative if someone would be kind enough to answer me the following question: Will this motherboard, with 1600/1333mhz [CPU] FSB support this processor that has a FSB of 800mhz?

And, since it supports memory up to 1066mhz, then I suppose 800mhz memory would be fine, so no questions about that.

Anyway, I would be insurmountably grateful if someone were to answer me this question. I'm looking to run a server out of my home, and these are some of the parts going in to it, so I need to know if the parts are compatible.

Thank you very much in advance!
June 15, 2008 10:24:27 PM

Thank you very much for answering quickly. Quite appreciated.

The processor I plan to use is a Core 2 E4600, a clock speed of 2.4ghz with 800fsb. The motherboard itself said that it supports 1600/1333 fsb, which is why I sought for an answer. The motherboard is very good, at an incredible price, and offers a lot of breathing room as far as upgrading from the E4600 and the memory goes. And yes, it is socket 775.

Thank you once again.

June 15, 2008 10:33:59 PM

I have that motherboard. It will work but...................................

That board is only $69.99 new. Yours is open box and wont come with the I/O plate, any cables and connecters, or CD's/Drivers. Don't buy open box. Without the I/O plate your mobo will be more likely to get shorted out by static.

I have the e2180 which is only $65 and can run on the 1333 FSB which would be 3.33 instead of your 2.4 or..................

for $10 more then the CPU you picked you could get the e7200 which would run on the 1600FSB at 3.8 on a better CPU cooler. I run e7200s @ 3.4-3.6 on stock cooling all the time.

Or I have a complete system I just finished with that mobo and the e2180 for sale for $369.
Related resources
June 16, 2008 1:01:40 AM

Thank you much for all of your support. I know this isn't CPU related, but it's another question I need some opinions on. That, and this is the most active forum on this board.

What operating system is recommended for the running of a MySQL database and apache, and handle many clients?

I am running behind a router, and with Windows Home Edition on this PC I've had some problems forwarding ports to run a Ventrilo instance on it. I forward the ports fine, and the connection registers with clients, but they cannot enter the Ventrilo itself. I will be very angry if I invest in this primary database/query server and find that clients cannot connect. Perhaps it isn't the operating system and is simply something else, such as my firewall, but as a note, I followed Ventrilo's instructions to the letter.

Anyway, I seek not to make a ventrilo any longer, but I do need to be assured as possible that the operating system I purchase will allow connections.

I suppose this question will take quite a bit more expertise to adequately address than the front side bus question. So, with that, I thank you all for your input so far, and thank in advance those who would don to answer this more complicated question.

On one last note, I ask that you do not answer unless you are 100% certain of what you say, because I cannot afford a single mistake.

Perhaps one of the following?

Windows Server 2003
Windows Server 2008
Windows Server 2003/2008 Enterprise/Corporate Edition

Maybe even a version of Linux/Ubuntu? I have no biased for Operating Systems, I just need the dang thing to work, and work in a timely manner, which is why I am shying away a bit from Unix based systems because of their occasional requirement of emulation.

Thanks again.
!