Faulty PSU or faulty Graphics card?

Hey guys,

I've been having a few problems recently but I am unable to pinpoint the problem. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.

I have just recently built my new PC and everything seems to be stable in stress tests and benchmarks but I have noticed that I have a really low score on 3DMark06. I have an XFX 8800GTX XXX graphics card and I only seem to be hitting around 3380 in 3DMark06 with everything on default. I have installed the latest drivers for this card on Vista x64 and I have also tried resetting the driver using RivaTuner.

There was a topic I was reading about a very similar situation to this and the problem was solved with a new PSU: http://www.bjorn3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18783&page=5

Another reason I think the PSU might be a problem is that when I switch my PC on it will start up for like 2 seconds (the noise of the fans + the lights on the front) but then it will stop. After 10 seconds or so it will start up again and will be running as normal. The PSU in question is the XClio StablePower 1000W.

I doubt it is the motherboard as everything else seems to be working as expected (haven't had a single crash or BSOD) but theres always a chance.

Do you think it could be a graphics card or PSU problem?

Thank you very much for your help - As I said it is very much appreciated :p

(Below are the rest of my system specs in case it helps)

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
4GB Corsair XMS2 Dominator 1066
ASUS Maximus Formula
19 answers Last reply
More about faulty faulty graphics card
  1. I forgot to mention I have already updated the BIOS to the latest version.
  2. Have you got another graphic card you could try? It might show then, make sure your CPU clock speed is set correct, infact all of your setting in the bios.

Have you taken individual rails from the PSU to power the graphic card?
  3. I don't have another graphics card to try unfortunately. I have made sure that all my options are set correctly in the BIOS.

Sorry for the stupid question, but what do you mean by taking individual rails from the PSU to power the graphics card?

I currently have 2 PCI-E connectors plugged into it.

Thanks
  4. download cpu-Z and gpu-Z just to make sure everything is running at correct clocks.. and coretemp or realtemp to see hows the temps.

The cpu may be throttling down because of heat if the heatsink isn't properly mounted.

Those 8800 series cards have onboard warning siren thats supposed to go off if the card isn't getting the power it needs.
  5. I have checked CPU-Z, Coretemp, and Realtemp which all appear to be right. I'm not too sure about GPU-Z though, here are links to the screenshots:

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/3986/graphics1vc2.jpg
    http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/7047/graphics2bs8.jpg

So the 8800 series are meant to make a noise if there aren't powered correctly? I read in that topic I posted above that there is a problem with Vista giving out a power warning for the 8800. Could you possibly look at my screenshots and let me know if they look right?

Could someone also let me know if the startup problem I mentioned above points to a PSU/motherboard problem?

Thank you very much for helping.
  6. yeah those look good

just unplug the pcie power connectors and boot up, you should get pretty loud high pitched noice, really unpleasent :P

so how high were the temps at load?
  7. and could you give the detailed 3dmark scores? cpu, sm2 and sm3...
  8. The temps at load for the CPU were maxed at about 68C (after about 14 hour stress test) but I've heard staying under 72 is safe for my chip with a decent overclock (got it from 3.16 to 4 ghz, stable in everything).

The graphics gets up to about 70 or so if I remember correctly. There is good airflow in my case and my heatsink is seatly correctly after 2 attempts so I doubt it could be a heat issue.

My brother should be getting a Corsair 750W PSU in a couple of days - should I test that in my system?

I've read a couple of reviews that my current PSU does not work too well with the 8800 but they could have been faulty ones.

Any ideas about the startup problem?

Thank you so much for your help.
  9. yeah, if ur system isnt whining then u are getting enough power. ive never heard of that psu brand. check the xtremesystems psu tier list. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088 the psu u have is a tier 5. it is not recommended and is a horrible powersupply. its the powersupply for sure. get a tier 2 or a tier 1 psu. an antec or a corsair or a pc power and cooling is good.
  10. ok, the temps are good then...

testing the corsair sounds like a good plan.

I have similar start up behaviour with Antec Sonata III (psu is antecs earth watts or something) and asus p5k-vm mobo. pressing the power button gives an instant short beep and fans spin a little, then everything goes silent for 3-4 seconds and then it boots up properly. other than that it has been rock solid for 8 months... so it is not probably fatal :D
    I think it might be somesort of prepost checkup, maybe the psu is doing some internal checking or something...
  11. u know, i bet it'll work with that corsair power supply. ive tried corsair tx750w power supply but the one i got was doa on me so i just returned it for a full refund.
  12. Tier E are PSUs (with corresponding wattage range) for people who wish for Power and Stability for the most powerful rigs today.
    Tier 1 are the best-in-class PSUs representing the highest quality models in each PSU manufacturer`s model range.
    Tier 2 offers almost as much power and stability as Tier 1 at comparable Wattage levels with better price/performance.
    Tier 3 is ONLY Recommended if Price difference is present between Tier 3 and Tier 2 or due to availability issues with Tier 1/2 PSUs.
    Tier 4 is recommended for stock or low power systems if Tier 3's are more expensive or are not available.
    Tier 5 are NOT RECOMMENDED, but some brands have high/medium quality components in Tiers 2 through 4.

-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----

Will be posting here a list of PSU Companies and underneath them their Model names and what tier I believe they should belong to. Please let me know if you agree/disagree. NO PSU FROM THE OLD LIST WILL BE INCLUDED IN THE NEW LIST (Except for a few).

Enermax
    Powertek
    ABS
    Enlight
    Powmax
    AcBel
    E-POWER
    Raidmax
    AeroCool
    ETASIS Electronics
    Rosewill
    Antec
    FOXCONN
    SeaSonic USA
    APEVIA (Aspire)
    FSP Group (Fortron Source)
    sigma product
    APEX (SUPERCASE/ALLIED)
    GIGABYTE
    Silverstone
    Athena Power
    HIPER
    Sparkle Power Inc.
    Athenatech Inc
    HIPRO
    Spec-Research
    ATOP Technology
    In Win
    STARTECH
    ATRIX
    JPAC COMPUTER
    Sunbeam
    BFG Technologies
    Just PC
    TAGAN
    BGears
    Kingwin Inc.
    Thermaltake
    Broadway Com Corp
    Linkworld Electronics
    TOPOWER
    COMPUCASE CORP.
    Logisys Computer
    TUNIQ
    Cooler Master
    MSI
    Winsis
    CoolMax
    Mushkin
    XClio
    Corsair Memory, Inc.
    NZXT
    XIGMATEK
    Dynapower USA
    OCZ Technology, Inc.
    XION
    EAGLE TECH
    PC Power & Cooling
    Zalman Tech Co., Ltd

Tier E Brands - For Those With Rigs That Can Never Have Enough Power

Tier 1 Brands - The Most Powerful And Stable Components On The Market

Tier 2 Brands - Top Quality components With Top Notch Stability - For Those With Price/Availability Issues With Tier 1

Tier 3 Brands - High Quality and Stability, Second Only To Tier 2 Brands

Tier 4 - Not Recommend If Tier 3 PSU Available In Same Price/Wattage Range

Tier 5 - Other than the units listed above for any of these brands, NOT RECOMMENDED

Phase IV cometh.

Perkam

"As machines exceed human intelligence, will they threaten humanity?" - Thomas Edison
    Last edited by perkam; 04-25-2008 at 07:54 AM.
    perkam is offline Reply With Quote
    perkam
    View Public Profile
    Find More Posts by perkam
    Old 07-22-2006, 08:22 AM #2
    perkam
    Optimus News

Send a message via MSN to perkam Send a message via Yahoo to perkam

*** OLD LIST ***

WHICH ONES TO BUY ??

Tier 1 can handle 4Ghz Conroe or 3Ghz AMD along with Oced Quad Crossfire/SLI With Ease.
    Tier Z offers quality and power unequalled in its wattage range and is second only to other Zippy units.
    Tier 2 offers almost as much power and stability as Tier 1 at Comparable Wattage levels with lower price/better availability.
    Tier T offers the high quality components of Tier 2 with slightly less Rail stability due to Topower internals.
    Tier 3 is ONLY Recommended if Price difference is present between Tier 3 and Tier 2 or due to availability issues with Tier 1/2 PSUs.
    Tier 4 is recommended for stock or low power systems if Tier 3's are more expensive or are not available.
    Tier 5 are NOT RECOMMENDED, but some brands have high/medium quality components in Tiers 2 through 4.

Tier 1 Brands - The Most Powerful And Stable Components On The Market
    Enermax Galaxy
    PCP&C TurboCool
    PCP&C Silencer >610
    Zippy/Emacs SSL
    Zippy/Emacs GSM
    Zippy/Emacs PSL
    Silverstone ZF (Etasis 85/75/56)
    Seventeam ST >600 (SSI, V2.91)
    Silverstone OP/DA >700W

Tier Z - Less Powerful Than Tier 1 Zippy Units...but they're still Zippys
    Zippy/Emacs HG2
    Zippy/Emacs HP2

Tier 2 Brands - Top Quality components With Top Notch Stability - For Those With Price/Availability Issues With Tier 1
    Antec Neo HE
    Akasa PowerGreen 80+
    CoolMax CTG-750W/850W/1KW
    Cooltek CT
    Corsair HX
    Enermax Liberty
    Enermax Infiniti
    Enhance ENP-GH
    Fortron (FSP) GLN
    Hiper Type-M >650W
    Hiper Type-R >650W
    iStarUSA PD2
    iStarUSA PD3
    OCZ GameXStream
    OCZ EvoStream
    PCP&C Silencer <610
    Seasonic S12
    Seasonic M12
    Seasonic Energy Plus
    SevenTeam ST <600
    Silverstone EF
    Silverstone OP/DA <700W
    Supermicro/AbleCom
    Thermaltake Toughpower >600W
    Xclio GreatPower
    Zalman ZM
    Ultra X3
    Ultra X-Pro

Tier T - High Quality PSUs Made With Topower Internals - Less Rail Stability Compared To Tier 2 But Still Better than Tier 3
    Mushkin Enhanced
    Tagan U95
    Tagan U25
    Tagan U15
    Tagan U22
    OCZ PowerStream

Tier 3 Brands - High Quality and Stability, Second Only To Tier 2 Brands
    Acbel Polycom
    AMS Mercury
    Akasa PaxPower
    Akasa PowerPlus (>500W Models)
    Antec Phantom
    Antec TruePower III
    Antec True Power II
    Antec True Control II
    Antec Neopower 480W (Old Model)
    Antec Smart Power 2.0
    Athena Power Space Shuttle Series
    Be Quiet Dark Power Pro
    Channel Well
    Enermax Maximum Plus
    Enermax Noistaker II
    Enermax Noisetaker
    Enermax Whisper II
    Enermax CoolerGiant
    Enhance ENS-G
    Epower Xscale
    Fortron (FSP) GLC
    Fortron (FSP) THN
    Fortron AX
    Fortron HLN
    Fortron PFN/PN/PA
    Seasonic Super Versatile
    Silverstone F
    Sparkle FSP
    Spire Rocketeer V/VI
    Sunbeam Nuuo
    Thermaltake Purepower
    Thermaltake Toughpower <600W

Tier 4 - Not Recommend With Tier 3 In same Price/Wattage Range
    Aerocool
    Asus Atlas
    BFG
    Coolermaster Real Power
    Coolermaster iGreen
    Delta
    Enlight
    E-Power
    Futurepower
    Hiper
    HIPRO
    Lite-On
    Masscool
    MGE XG
    Mushkin HP
    NorthQ 4775-500S/BU
    OCZ Modstream
    Scythe Kamariki
    Sintek
    Thermaltake TR2
    TTGI/Superflower
    Ultra Xfinity/X2

Tier 5 - Other than the units listed above for any of these brands, NOT RECOMMENDED
    A-TOP Technology
    APEX (SUPERCASE/ALLIED)
    Aspire(Turbo Case)
    ATADC
    Athena Power
    ATRIX
    Broadway Com Corp
    Cooler Master
    Coolmax
    Deer
    Diablotek
    Dynapower USA
    EagleTech
    FOXCONN
    I-Star Computer Co. Ltd
    In Win
    JPAC COMPUTER
    Just PC
    Kingwin Inc.
    Linkworld Electronics
    Logisys Computer
    MGE
    MSI
    NMEDIAPC
    Norwood Micro/ CompUSA
    NorthQ
    NZXT
    Powmax
    Q-Tec
    Raidmax
    Rosewill
    SFC
    Shuttle
    Skyhawk
    Spire Coolers
    Star Micro
    STARTECH
    TOPOWER TOP
    Ultra X-Connect
    Wintech
    XClio
    XION
    YoungYear
    Zebronics

13. That list is quite interesting. I'm surprised to see XClio in Tier 5 as I thought they were quite good. I've also noticed that the XClio GreatPower is in Tier 2 but mine is a StablePower so that it probably the lower quality version.

Thanks for that list pcgamer12!

If the new PSU doesn't work I guess that narrows it down to either the graphics card itself or the motherboard.

Thank you for all your help Kari - I'm sure I'll be here again with results of the new PSU!

Thanks again :-)
  14. no problem, good luck
  15. no probs :)
    hope you'll get it all sorted out.
  16. Just thought I'd mention this quickly, I just found another topic in which someone is having similar problems with almost the exact same setup.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=52141

Gives me hope that it is the PSU!

17. psu related problems are usually a little difficult to pinpoint if you dont have a replacement unit handy (thus the 'dont skimp on the psu' phrase), but luckily your bro is getting the corsair...
  18. UPDATE:

I installed the new Corsair PSU just now and booted up successfully. My score on 3DMark06 with the old XClio PSU was around 3380 and the score with the new Corsair PSU is 12980!!! :D

I noticed that 3DMark06 was running much smoother than previously, my framerates were tripled!!

I was doubtful that it would work but now that it has fixed the problem I am so happy!

Thank you so much for helping me in this topic!

Take care :)
  19. Nice to hear you got your rig running properly.
    Have fun! :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product