Change/Remove button is missing

I have a MSN Messenger v.7 installed on my WIN XP SP2. It has some problems
and I'd like to uninstall and then reinstall it. However, I cannot uninstall
it, because the MSN Messenger entry in the Add/Remove Programs in Control
Panel lacks the Change/Remove button. I can highlight this entry, but cannot
remove it... How to restore this Change/Remove button to this MSN Messenger
entry?

--
Ilya Zeldes
Fort Myers, Florida

    Some applications in Add/Remove Programs list are missing Change and Remove
    buttons
    http://www.winxptutor.com/arpbuttons.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:eMqM4C6nFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    ilyaz <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I have a MSN Messenger v.7 installed on my WIN XP SP2. It has some
    > problems and I'd like to uninstall and then reinstall it. However, I
    > cannot uninstall it, because the MSN Messenger entry in the Add/Remove
    > Programs in Control Panel lacks the Change/Remove button. I can highlight
    > this entry, but cannot remove it... How to restore this Change/Remove
    > button to this MSN Messenger entry?
    >
    > --
    > Ilya Zeldes
    > Fort Myers, Florida

    Wes,
    thanks for the URL. I visited this site and got this fix. But, in my unlucky
    case, there is no MSN Messenger in the Uninstall section of the registry
    :-( What's funny, the MSN Messenger works (although with some problems),
    it's listed in the Add/Remove Programs, but the change/remove button is
    missing. Now, the button could not be restored and the program could not be
    removed. Looks like catch 22 in reverse to me...
    Ilya

    > Some applications in Add/Remove Programs list are missing Change and
    > Remove
    > buttons
    > http://www.winxptutor.com/arpbuttons.htm
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:eMqM4C6nFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    > ilyaz <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> I have a MSN Messenger v.7 installed on my WIN XP SP2. It has some
    >> problems and I'd like to uninstall and then reinstall it. However, I
    >> cannot uninstall it, because the MSN Messenger entry in the Add/Remove
    >> Programs in Control Panel lacks the Change/Remove button. I can highlight
    >> this entry, but cannot remove it... How to restore this Change/Remove
    >> button to this MSN Messenger entry?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ilya Zeldes
    >> Fort Myers, Florida

    try to delete it manually from c:\programs files...
    hope this will help you .

    best of luck!

    "ilyaz" wrote:

    > Wes,
    > thanks for the URL. I visited this site and got this fix. But, in my unlucky
    > case, there is no MSN Messenger in the Uninstall section of the registry
    > :-( What's funny, the MSN Messenger works (although with some problems),
    > it's listed in the Add/Remove Programs, but the change/remove button is
    > missing. Now, the button could not be restored and the program could not be
    > removed. Looks like catch 22 in reverse to me...
    > Ilya

    > > Some applications in Add/Remove Programs list are missing Change and
    > > Remove
    > > buttons
    > > http://www.winxptutor.com/arpbuttons.htm
    > >
    > > --
    > > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >
    > > Wes
    > > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >
    > > In news:eMqM4C6nFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    > > ilyaz <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > >> I have a MSN Messenger v.7 installed on my WIN XP SP2. It has some
    > >> problems and I'd like to uninstall and then reinstall it. However, I
    > >> cannot uninstall it, because the MSN Messenger entry in the Add/Remove
    > >> Programs in Control Panel lacks the Change/Remove button. I can highlight
    > >> this entry, but cannot remove it... How to restore this Change/Remove
    > >> button to this MSN Messenger entry?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ilya Zeldes
    > >> Fort Myers, Florida

    I think, I can do it easily. It will remove the folder, but will it
    "uninstall" the program? I'm afraid, it could create a havoc with the system
    somehow... Any thoughts about such possibility?
    Ilya

    "Reem" <Reem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > try to delete it manually from c:\programs files...
    > hope this will help you .
    >
    > best of luck!
    >
    > "ilyaz" wrote:
    >
    >> Wes,
    >> thanks for the URL. I visited this site and got this fix. But, in my
    >> unlucky
    >> case, there is no MSN Messenger in the Uninstall section of the registry
    >> :-( What's funny, the MSN Messenger works (although with some problems),
    >> it's listed in the Add/Remove Programs, but the change/remove button is
    >> missing. Now, the button could not be restored and the program could not
    >> be
    >> removed. Looks like catch 22 in reverse to me...
    >> Ilya

    >> > Some applications in Add/Remove Programs list are missing Change and
    >> > Remove
    >> > buttons
    >> > http://www.winxptutor.com/arpbuttons.htm
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >> >
    >> > Wes
    >> > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> >
    >> > In news:eMqM4C6nFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    >> > ilyaz <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:

    Wes,
    while waiting for your reply, I found step-by-step instruction on how to
    remove stubborn application and clean the registry. It took me a while, but
    I removed everything there was in sight. Reboot. Checked the Control Panel
    and to my dismay the MSN Messenger was there... What a piece...
    Ilya

    "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I think, I can do it easily. It will remove the folder, but will it
    >"uninstall" the program? I'm afraid, it could create a havoc with the
    >system somehow... Any thoughts about such possibility?
    > Ilya
    >
    > "Reem" <Reem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> try to delete it manually from c:\programs files...
    >> hope this will help you .
    >>
    >> best of luck!
    >>
    >> "ilyaz" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Wes,
    >>> thanks for the URL. I visited this site and got this fix. But, in my
    >>> unlucky
    >>> case, there is no MSN Messenger in the Uninstall section of the registry
    >>> :-( What's funny, the MSN Messenger works (although with some
    >>> problems),
    >>> it's listed in the Add/Remove Programs, but the change/remove button is
    >>> missing. Now, the button could not be restored and the program could not
    >>> be
    >>> removed. Looks like catch 22 in reverse to me...
    >>> Ilya

    Hi Ilya,

    How to Manually Remove Programs from the Add or Remove Programs Tool
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314481

    Remove invalid entries in Add/Remove Programs
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/AddRemove.htm

    [[The simplest, safest and recommended way to uninstall an application is
    via 'Add/Remove Programs' (in Control Panel).

    Some applications (particularly older ones) do not create an entry in the
    'Add/Remove Programs' list, but instead create an "uninstall" or "remove"
    shortcut in the Start > Program Groups menu.

    The remainder of these notes are intended only if you have tried the above,
    and the application will not uninstall.]]

    How to manually uninstall an application
    http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian/windows/howto_manually_uninstall.htm

    Uninstall Programs Manually
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/manually_uninstall_programs.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:%23YIphiCoFHA.764@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    ilyaz <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Wes,
    > while waiting for your reply, I found step-by-step instruction on how to
    > remove stubborn application and clean the registry. It took me a while,
    > but I removed everything there was in sight. Reboot. Checked the Control
    > Panel and to my dismay the MSN Messenger was there... What a piece...
    > Ilya
    >
    > "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I think, I can do it easily. It will remove the folder, but will it
    >> "uninstall" the program? I'm afraid, it could create a havoc with the
    >> system somehow... Any thoughts about such possibility?
    >> Ilya
    >>
    >> "Reem" <Reem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> try to delete it manually from c:\programs files...
    >>> hope this will help you .
    >>>
    >>> best of luck!

    Wes,
    thanks for the long list of helpful links. I cleaned registry twice. First
    for all <MSN Messenger> entries, second for <MSNMessenger> entries. This
    made the trick and the MSN Messenger was removed from Control Panel.
    Thanks for your help.
    Ilya
    > Hi Ilya,
    >
    > How to Manually Remove Programs from the Add or Remove Programs Tool
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314481
    >
    > Remove invalid entries in Add/Remove Programs
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/AddRemove.htm
    >
    > [[The simplest, safest and recommended way to uninstall an application is
    > via 'Add/Remove Programs' (in Control Panel).
    >
    > Some applications (particularly older ones) do not create an entry in the
    > 'Add/Remove Programs' list, but instead create an "uninstall" or "remove"
    > shortcut in the Start > Program Groups menu.
    >
    > The remainder of these notes are intended only if you have tried the
    > above,
    > and the application will not uninstall.]]
    >
    > How to manually uninstall an application
    > http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian/windows/howto_manually_uninstall.htm
    >
    > Uninstall Programs Manually
    > http://www.theeldergeek.com/manually_uninstall_programs.htm
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:%23YIphiCoFHA.764@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > ilyaz <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> Wes,
    >> while waiting for your reply, I found step-by-step instruction on how to
    >> remove stubborn application and clean the registry. It took me a while,
    >> but I removed everything there was in sight. Reboot. Checked the Control
    >> Panel and to my dismay the MSN Messenger was there... What a piece...
    >> Ilya
    >>
    >> "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> I think, I can do it easily. It will remove the folder, but will it
    >>> "uninstall" the program? I'm afraid, it could create a havoc with the
    >>> system somehow... Any thoughts about such possibility?
    >>> Ilya
    >>>
    >>> "Reem" <Reem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Ilya,

    Glad you got it worked out. Keep having fun. :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User