Change/Remove button is missing

August 13, 2005 12:48:27 AM

I have a MSN Messenger v.7 installed on my WIN XP SP2. It has some problems
and I'd like to uninstall and then reinstall it. However, I cannot uninstall
it, because the MSN Messenger entry in the Add/Remove Programs in Control
Panel lacks the Change/Remove button. I can highlight this entry, but cannot
remove it... How to restore this Change/Remove button to this MSN Messenger
entry?

--
Ilya Zeldes
Fort Myers, Florida

Some applications in Add/Remove Programs list are missing Change and Remove
buttons
http://www.winxptutor.com/arpbuttons.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eMqM4C6nFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
ilyaz <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> I have a MSN Messenger v.7 installed on my WIN XP SP2. It has some
> problems and I'd like to uninstall and then reinstall it. However, I
> cannot uninstall it, because the MSN Messenger entry in the Add/Remove
> Programs in Control Panel lacks the Change/Remove button. I can highlight
> this entry, but cannot remove it... How to restore this Change/Remove
> button to this MSN Messenger entry?
>
> --
> Ilya Zeldes
> Fort Myers, Florida
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 3:08:28 AM

Wes,
thanks for the URL. I visited this site and got this fix. But, in my unlucky
case, there is no MSN Messenger in the Uninstall section of the registry
:-( What's funny, the MSN Messenger works (although with some problems),
it's listed in the Add/Remove Programs, but the change/remove button is
missing. Now, the button could not be restored and the program could not be
removed. Looks like catch 22 in reverse to me...
Ilya

> Some applications in Add/Remove Programs list are missing Change and
> Remove
> buttons
> http://www.winxptutor.com/arpbuttons.htm
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:eMqM4C6nFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> ilyaz <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>> I have a MSN Messenger v.7 installed on my WIN XP SP2. It has some
>> problems and I'd like to uninstall and then reinstall it. However, I
>> cannot uninstall it, because the MSN Messenger entry in the Add/Remove
>> Programs in Control Panel lacks the Change/Remove button. I can highlight
>> this entry, but cannot remove it... How to restore this Change/Remove
>> button to this MSN Messenger entry?
>>
>> --
>> Ilya Zeldes
>> Fort Myers, Florida

August 13, 2005 4:55:01 AM

try to delete it manually from c:\programs files...
hope this will help you .

best of luck!

"ilyaz" wrote:

> Wes,
> thanks for the URL. I visited this site and got this fix. But, in my unlucky
> case, there is no MSN Messenger in the Uninstall section of the registry
> :-( What's funny, the MSN Messenger works (although with some problems),
> it's listed in the Add/Remove Programs, but the change/remove button is
> missing. Now, the button could not be restored and the program could not be
> removed. Looks like catch 22 in reverse to me...
> Ilya

> > Some applications in Add/Remove Programs list are missing Change and
> > Remove
> > buttons
> > http://www.winxptutor.com/arpbuttons.htm
> >
> > --
> > Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >
> > Wes
> > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >
> > In news:eMqM4C6nFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> > ilyaz <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> >> I have a MSN Messenger v.7 installed on my WIN XP SP2. It has some
> >> problems and I'd like to uninstall and then reinstall it. However, I
> >> cannot uninstall it, because the MSN Messenger entry in the Add/Remove
> >> Programs in Control Panel lacks the Change/Remove button. I can highlight
> >> this entry, but cannot remove it... How to restore this Change/Remove
> >> button to this MSN Messenger entry?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ilya Zeldes
> >> Fort Myers, Florida

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 3:45:59 PM

I think, I can do it easily. It will remove the folder, but will it
"uninstall" the program? I'm afraid, it could create a havoc with the system
somehow... Any thoughts about such possibility?
Ilya

"Reem" <Reem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> try to delete it manually from c:\programs files...
> hope this will help you .
>
> best of luck!
>
> "ilyaz" wrote:
>
>> Wes,
>> thanks for the URL. I visited this site and got this fix. But, in my
>> unlucky
>> case, there is no MSN Messenger in the Uninstall section of the registry
>> :-( What's funny, the MSN Messenger works (although with some problems),
>> it's listed in the Add/Remove Programs, but the change/remove button is
>> missing. Now, the button could not be restored and the program could not
>> be
>> removed. Looks like catch 22 in reverse to me...
>> Ilya

>> > Some applications in Add/Remove Programs list are missing Change and
>> > Remove
>> > buttons
>> > http://www.winxptutor.com/arpbuttons.htm
>> >
>> > --
>> > Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> >
>> > Wes
>> > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> >
>> > In news:eMqM4C6nFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>> > ilyaz <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 5:01:19 PM

Wes,
while waiting for your reply, I found step-by-step instruction on how to
remove stubborn application and clean the registry. It took me a while, but
I removed everything there was in sight. Reboot. Checked the Control Panel
and to my dismay the MSN Messenger was there... What a piece...
Ilya

"ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o Edme4BoFHA.2224@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>I think, I can do it easily. It will remove the folder, but will it
>"uninstall" the program? I'm afraid, it could create a havoc with the
>system somehow... Any thoughts about such possibility?
> Ilya
>
> "Reem" <Reem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> try to delete it manually from c:\programs files...
>> hope this will help you .
>>
>> best of luck!
>>
>> "ilyaz" wrote:
>>
>>> Wes,
>>> thanks for the URL. I visited this site and got this fix. But, in my
>>> unlucky
>>> case, there is no MSN Messenger in the Uninstall section of the registry
>>> :-( What's funny, the MSN Messenger works (although with some
>>> problems),
>>> it's listed in the Add/Remove Programs, but the change/remove button is
>>> missing. Now, the button could not be restored and the program could not
>>> be
>>> removed. Looks like catch 22 in reverse to me...
>>> Ilya

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 5:01:20 PM

Hi Ilya,

How to Manually Remove Programs from the Add or Remove Programs Tool
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314481

Remove invalid entries in Add/Remove Programs
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/AddRemove.htm

[[The simplest, safest and recommended way to uninstall an application is
via 'Add/Remove Programs' (in Control Panel).

Some applications (particularly older ones) do not create an entry in the
'Add/Remove Programs' list, but instead create an "uninstall" or "remove"
shortcut in the Start > Program Groups menu.

The remainder of these notes are intended only if you have tried the above,
and the application will not uninstall.]]

How to manually uninstall an application
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian/windows/howto_manually_uni...

Uninstall Programs Manually
http://www.theeldergeek.com/manually_uninstall_programs...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23YIphiCoFHA.764@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
ilyaz <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Wes,
> while waiting for your reply, I found step-by-step instruction on how to
> remove stubborn application and clean the registry. It took me a while,
> but I removed everything there was in sight. Reboot. Checked the Control
> Panel and to my dismay the MSN Messenger was there... What a piece...
> Ilya
>
> "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o Edme4BoFHA.2224@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> I think, I can do it easily. It will remove the folder, but will it
>> "uninstall" the program? I'm afraid, it could create a havoc with the
>> system somehow... Any thoughts about such possibility?
>> Ilya
>>
>> "Reem" <Reem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> try to delete it manually from c:\programs files...
>>> hope this will help you .
>>>
>>> best of luck!

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 2:45:25 AM

Wes,
thanks for the long list of helpful links. I cleaned registry twice. First
for all <MSN Messenger> entries, second for <MSNMessenger> entries. This
made the trick and the MSN Messenger was removed from Control Panel.
Thanks for your help.
Ilya
> Hi Ilya,
>
> How to Manually Remove Programs from the Add or Remove Programs Tool
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314481
>
> Remove invalid entries in Add/Remove Programs
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/AddRemove.htm
>
> [[The simplest, safest and recommended way to uninstall an application is
> via 'Add/Remove Programs' (in Control Panel).
>
> Some applications (particularly older ones) do not create an entry in the
> 'Add/Remove Programs' list, but instead create an "uninstall" or "remove"
> shortcut in the Start > Program Groups menu.
>
> The remainder of these notes are intended only if you have tried the
> above,
> and the application will not uninstall.]]
>
> How to manually uninstall an application
> http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian/windows/howto_manually_uni...
>
> Uninstall Programs Manually
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/manually_uninstall_programs...
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:%23YIphiCoFHA.764@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> ilyaz <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Wes,
>> while waiting for your reply, I found step-by-step instruction on how to
>> remove stubborn application and clean the registry. It took me a while,
>> but I removed everything there was in sight. Reboot. Checked the Control
>> Panel and to my dismay the MSN Messenger was there... What a piece...
>> Ilya
>>
>> "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:o Edme4BoFHA.2224@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>> I think, I can do it easily. It will remove the folder, but will it
>>> "uninstall" the program? I'm afraid, it could create a havoc with the
>>> system somehow... Any thoughts about such possibility?
>>> Ilya
>>>
>>> "Reem" <Reem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 5:11:32 AM

Ilya,

Glad you got it worked out. Keep having fun. :-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User