Northbridge fan on GA-X48-DS4 mandatory?

hypnotico

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
I am setting up a computer with my newly purchased GA-X48-DS4. :)

According to the instruction manual: "Be sure to connect fan cables to the fan headers to prevent your CPU, North Bridge and system from overheating. Overheating my result in damage to the CPU/North Bridge or the system may hang."

This was mentioned over showing where to plug in the CPU fan and North bridge fan. Well, I didnt buy a North bridge fan and I am wondering if most of you here have one that is, if you have my mobo.

I would have thought that my Antec 900 case would supply enough airflow to keep things cool, but I dont want to screw things up. I do plan on overclocking eventually.

All responses will be appreciated! I would like to get a general idea of what people are doing.

- Hypnotico

zipz0p

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
Based on the pictures on newegg, it looks like you've got a decent heatsink already on there. That should be fine unless you're going for a fairly hefty overclock.

wtfchuck

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
I am using this board. It comes stock with passive cooling by design. They should have been a bit more concise about it in the manual.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
I use the X38 version of that board. It doesn't come with a northbridge fan, and at 1600mhz fsb runs at 32C full load. X38/48 chipset runs cool. Besides, the Gigabyte board's heatsink is massive. Feel the weight of the motherboard in your hands. :p

hypnotico

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Thanks guys! I honestly didnt think there would be an issue with not having a fan on it. It is not like there is a place on the mobo to mount it.

This was my first build, so I was just trying to be careful. My new comp is working great! Big difference from the old Compaq!

I must say that Gigabyte really did a nice job with this board. For the most part the manual was pretty decent. The only thing that pissed me off is that the I/O panel the supply to put in the case didnt have the areas for the Ethernet cables to connect into open. There are these metal things that you are supposed to fold up or something before installing the board. Well, I noticed this after I had things mostly wired in. Too late to fold them up. So now I have the task of trying to cut these stupid metal cover doors off with some kind of precision cutter that cuts metal from the outside. I wish the manual would have said something.. I think this I/O panel is the same one for a lower line board or something and that is why they didnt have just plain openings....

Regardless, Gigabyte will probably have some sort of loyalty from me.

Thanks again for the input about the fan! :)

- Hypnotico