making a desktop for 1500-2500$ need help :p

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
So I have around 1000-1500 euros (I live in europe) or 1500-2500 $ i think that is...
I want to build a desktop wich I am going to use for everything:
-surfing a lot
-gaming: WOW, assassins creed, GTA, swat, everything (downloading lots of games),
-use it as a server (my own game),
-for school stuff...

So I want it to be fast and good and powerfull and silent!
Can u help me?:
-the building itself will be fine but I don't know wich parts to choose!
-choosing or recommend me things? (some brand that is very good or so)
-I'm not good at the technical stuff about computers but I can learn, give me links to tutorials about what parts I need

IS THERE a guide where they tell you this stuff?:
Where to look at when buying a case
" " " " a motherboard
" " " " a processor
etc?? that would be IT

I want the best for my money that's all :p

Thanx!

Skullhuntre

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
I'd probably go with a xeon intel but thats me..idk dude I couldnt give you a good answer quick, it takes time to research and find out which parts match, are compatible, benchmarking, etc..just browse the website, theres a wealth of knowledge here.

gow87

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
XEON... wtf?

id say q6600, 4gb ram pc6400, decent motherboard, 8800GT (maybe upgrade when the new series come out) good psu, around 500-600w. a good cpu cooler (check out frostytech's rankings) samsung F1 hdd whatever size you want..

look into these kind of things and you should be able to find plenty of stuff... a uk magazine called custom PC usually has some good reviews and such (www.custompc.co.uk) search the web for benchmarks and tips.

i would recommend build yourself it isnt too complicated and you have the benefit of hand choosing parts.

also remember brand names! OCZ,corsair,crucial make good ram, MSI,gigabyte,asus make good mobo's, powersupplies.. generally you pay for what you get.

and always run everything by people on here. we wont bite

snajper69

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Do you own research first. Don't let other people choose your build for you. How are you expecting to solve problems that you will run into during your build? You need to be ready to do a lot of reserach and have a lot of patiense. So do you work now before you blow away so much money and be dissapoitned.

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
U don't understand me, I don't expect people to make a build for me...
I'm new to this I can use a computer etc but I don't kinow what it is made of the parts etc...
And I wonna learn that, I just need good sites where they sell a lot of parts and I need to know what parts to look for...
maybey some tips about branches and types that are good...
I want a fast computer mainly for gaming and downloading at the end :p
TYVM!

*I'm browsing this forums for information but most of the threads are to specific and to difficult for me :p

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008

thanx!! The building itself is no problem, my friend knows something about that
I just need to choose the parts...
But I don't know *** about it lol, so much choice...

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008

No, I don't need it to be able to be on 24/7 :p

I've read tuts from google: build ur own PC and I understand all the "install a part" steps
but I'm stuck at the second step wich is: choose and collect ur components
because I don't know what to take/choose out of all the stuff avaible so help me with that please!

No problem. What would be a good online shop in Belgium? I can try and find you some links if you tell me a URL.

I think these parts would be right for you: E8400, GA-EP35-DS3R, WD6400AAKS, 8800GTS 512MB, CM-690 or Antec 900.

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
The people are right about research and this forum is a great place to spend some time. Look closely at the "rate my build" or "what do you think of this" type of threads to gather some opinions. Keep in mind that these are opinions but it gives you the parts to start doing your own comparisons. You can start looking up individual components and see how they work with each other and compatibility/performance experience from others.

Good luck. It can really be lots of fun.

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
yea, I wonna learn to know more about computer, and I want to know exactly what's in my own one...
But don't certain types of mobo or something are used for different uses? like a gamer needs another sort of it then another person?

Absolutely. There are motherboards with sockets for two CPUs for CAD work, motherboards with 2 or 3 or even 4 slots for video cards for gamers with a lot of money, etc. Then there are features like eSATA and FireWire and RAID and integrated video and so on that some mobos have and some don't.

madaniel

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
You need to start with the basics,

CPU
Motherboard
Video Card
Hard Drive(s)
DVD/CD-ROm driver
RAM (memory)
Monitor
keyboard, mouse, speakers etc...

The biggest thing you need to find out about is to make sure all your parts will work together, most cases if they will work with the selected motherboard.

Starting with a CPU is a good way to go because once you have chosen one you can then narrow down more what type of motherboard you will need, according to socket.

Basically as you narrow down parts you need to check and make sure that the selected motherboard will accept them. This is where this forum can help, by asking questions and providing parts you want to know about.

Make sure you do your own research on parts before hand because more likely then not you can find the answers on your own, which will help you understand even more what you are doing.

Picking parts can be a bit overwhelming at first simply because there can be so many and you don't really know what each may do or be better for.

For the most part, CPUs can be divided amongst 1 core, 2 cores, 4 cores, and most recently 3 cores. The major producers are Intel and AMD. Intel for the most part has a step ahead of AMD yet as far as performance for the average user both may do the job right. Once you choose one or the other, you must then select the number of cores you want. General rule of thumb is the more cores the better, yet this comes at a cost and is debatable according to usage.

Once you have a CPU chosen then you can select a motherboard that has the same socket type. This is where you have to fid it out on yourself or ask. The technical specs of a CPU can mean alot to one person and absolutely nothing to another.

I suggest you check out http://www.newegg.com/Info/KnowledgeBase.aspx
there is a wealth of knowledge and links to various forums where you can learn and ask questions.

I just realized there is probably too much to say in a single post, but best advice is to ask yourself what you are going to be doing with it. Form the sounds of it you have a good idea.

I can suggest a dual core or quad core (Intel), p35,x38, or x48 motherboard (Asus, Gigabyte), 3870 (ati) or 8800GT/GTS (nvidia) video card, and either western digital or Seagate HDD depending on size of storage needed. RAM 2 - 4 GBs DDR2 800 (PC2 6400).

Doesn't sounds like you will be doing anything too crazy so you basically have alot to choose from.

As far as getting parts, check out www.Newegg.com, they almost have anything you'll need. You may not be able to purchase from newegg, being in Europe, but it is at least a good place to read about different parts.

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008

WOW this is a godly response!!!
Exactly what I'm looking for thanks!!
I saved this :p
So what's the thing about choosing between 2,3,4 core?

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
-The true corner stone of a system, the very foundation itself, is the motherboard. When deciding what system to build, or upgrading, you can start with the motherboard as the 'known' or you can choose a CPU and build a system based on that CPU. It depends on what capabilites you want you computer to have.

Got this from the CPU's buyers guide, currently reading it...
So base the system on ur CPU or ur motherboard depends on what capabilities u want?

madaniel

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Basically the CPU is the brain of your computer and the motherboard can be seen as the rest of the body, where you have different body parts that function in different ways.

While the motherboard is just as important as the CPU you have to make sure they both can work together. This refers to their compatibility. Since there are many different types of CPUs and many different types of motherboards, you need to decide with which part you want to start your research with.

You can choose any old motherboard but that will then limit you to CPUs that "fit." The same goes the other way around, every CPU will fit in a certain type of motherboard. Luckily as time goes on you see less and less of the older formats of both CPUs and their corresponding motherboards.

From the sounds of it you are looking for the best that your money can buy.

Its good that you have made a budget because that is an important step.

Now just look at the "newer" CPUs and/or Motherboards (specifically the chipsets, and socket type) and decide how future proof you want to be. What this means is that just cause there is a newer cooler product out doesn't necessarily mean that it is the perfect thing for you. If you want it to last for the next couple of years generally newer things are the way to go, but if you are looking to just do what you want, then there are great 6 month - 1 year old products that will work just as well.

CPUs according to cores, can basically be seen as many CPUs in one. dual-core, tri-core, and quad-core are simply that many cpus in one ( 2, 3, and 4 respectively) If you are doing heavy applications that require multi threading and lots of CPU power then the more cores the better. Generally for gaming and light multi-tasking, Dual-Core is the least you should look at, while quad-core is simply an extra luxury and will make things even smoother, and last longer as applications take more power. 3-cores is new and has come from AMD, it is still too recent for me to judge on its performance, yet it is just another option that you can look into.

Once you have chosen a CPU you must find a motherboard that has the same socket type, for now most all Intel CPUs used by enthusiast and most builders is LGA 775 and the newest chipset for that socket being X48 or the nForce 790i Ultra (for nvidia SLI). When looking on websites the chipsets are reffered in some cases as the North Bridge as that is the component on the motherboard that it is identifying.

If choosing a motherboard to begin with, you have to use the same thinking: What kind of socket do i want? Yet you will also be choosing other things such as, How much memory do I want? DDR2 or DDR3? How many video card slots do I want? How many USB ports, LAN ports, Audio, firewire, STATA connections, and basically all the little things you can find on a motherboard that you hook things up to.

Either method, CPU or Motherboard first, you will be deciding these things. Both ways make you learn. Once the motherboard is selected, learn about it, learn about what each port, plug, and slot is used for and for what part it is for. This will help identify the other computer parts that you need and more importantly that specific motherboard can support.

Its alot at first, but the more you learn about each thing, the better you'll understand what things you need and don't need on a motherboard.