WinXP is firewalling wireless adapter

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Since no one over at Microsoft's forums can answer this I thought I'd give it a shot over here. At least real world users are here. Any way, I cannot get my wireless adapter to function under WinXP Pro SP3. Under network connections it shows both the wireless and the wired connections are "Firewalled". I used to have my laptop with WinXP MCE 2005 connecting with no problems to any wireless network in range. If I kill the WinXP firewall, the connection will (usually) work. The wireless adapter is a usb 802.11n connecting to a 802.11n wireless router. WinXP is referring my router, a D-Link DIR-628, as an access point as well. I tired using both the WPA password and the network password but still get the firewall message.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Solution

That "firewalled" message is always there and only refers to the protection the system is giving you against anything coming through the router - not preventing the router from reaching you. The router is an access point so that isn't the issue. You may need to find the relevant USB port in Device Manager then under the Power Management tab, untick the "Allow the computer to turn this device off to save power" option.

The WPA password is the security key you need only to input once, after which XP will go straight into the network. What are you calling a network password?
[/#000ff]

Solution

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I may be using the term incorrectly but the network password is the one I use to access the router itself from the D-Link log-in screen. I get the two confused. Thanks for the response. A much better and more concise than anything I got over at the MS Forums, which was squat.