A question about my 8800GTX temps.

Redfox

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
Hey guys,

I was looking at riva tuner while i was playing some games and i noticed that the temperature of my BFG 8800GTX OC2 hits about 78C while playing games. I was just wondering if this would be ok for the card to run at this temp.

Riva Tuner reports the core frequency is at 621Mhz, (its the OC2 version from BFG factory overclocked) and I was thinking that this temp might be a bit high and reduce the lifespan of the chip. Therefore I was considering purchasing and Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme 8800 http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=154&data=1&disc=

I'd really like to know what you guys think,

Thanks,
Matt

Hello and welcome to the forums mate :)

Well i myself have OCZ 8800GTX @ 612/1080 (=8800ULTRA) and it idles @59c and goes max 77 when heavy gaming, so your temps are fine dont worry about it :)

The max temp for 8800GTX is 100c

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
My 8800GTX regularly gets up to 84degrees, Its overclocked to a similiar level and running on a stock cooler. Its been going strong for 18 months now... But then Im planning on replaceing it as soon as a worthy replacement card comes along, Hopefully it will have a few years life left in it still in the kids computers. They arent going to push it as hard as I do :D

Yup, the G80 runs hot.
As long as it stays below 90C, I wouldn't worry to much about it.

If you really want to cool it a little better, use RivaTuner to crank the fan speed up.
Around 80% should still be nearly silent and knock a few C° off your temps.

Redfox

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
Thanks for the all the replies :)

It has put my mind at rest now as i had a ATI 9800XT a few years ago which died from heat at a similar temperature, although it did hit 90C before i put an aftermarket cooler on it.

Yeah putting the fan speed up a bit sounds like a good idea it sits at 60% normally.

Thanks again,
Matt

Just make sure you have good case flow. I know my cards always run hot in the summer because the ambient temps are higher. Depending where you are located that may be the case as well. The G80's do run hot and they are made to run that way. My old x1900xtx with the stock cooler hit 95C at times. Video cards are not like CPU's, they can take the heat. I prefer a cooler running card but the norm is they do run hot. So don't worry and GAME ON!