Sign in with
Your question

Noob oc'ing a e6400

Last response: in Overclocking
February 17, 2009 11:49:06 PM

I've read the sticky and I am still clueless, and before you post or anything, I know this is obsolete and outdated hardware, please don't post saying so :( , but what is the best I can get out of this ? I've used the bios auto overclock thing and i can get to 10%, after than the pc boots up black, my cooling is more than suffice.

I have a C2D e6400 (2.1ghz), Kingston Ram PC2-5300 DDR2 667MHz
CPU-z for ram is -
Frequency 332.5MHz
FSB:D RAM 4:5
CAS # Latency 5.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# delay 5 clocks
RAS# precharge 5 clocks
Cycle Time (Tras) 15 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (TRC) 21 clocks
Motherboard is P5LD2-VM

links to hardware -
memory http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX10790(ME).aspx
motherboard http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
cpu http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?manufacture=Inte...

More about : noob ing e6400

February 18, 2009 1:16:59 AM

Does your BIOS have voltage adjustment options? If not, then the only thing you can do is raise the FSB until you reach the limit of your CPU.
February 18, 2009 1:55:43 AM

Looks like it.

do I just raise that? what are stable raises ? and what can go wrong if I mess it up? do i need to up anything else there?

Thanks alot

adding a clearer pic of bios

Related resources
February 18, 2009 10:47:40 PM

anyone please?
February 19, 2009 3:48:01 AM

What cooler do you have on the CPU? The temps in your other thread seem quite high for idle.
February 19, 2009 3:51:10 AM

oh hey, between those two posts i actually figured out most of it, i was able to OC upto 2.66ghz (333x8) max I could OC was upto 2.66 (667mhz/2). right now I'm running a stock cooler, on idle its 59c on the cores / 38c on the CPU, on load its max of 69c on the cores and 48c on the cpu.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 19, 2009 3:26:14 PM

The E6400 is a great CPU and unless it is houlding you back - no need to "Call it old" I have a E6400 OCed to 3.2 GHz for 2 years with out a hitch on a P965-DQ6 MB. 3.2 Seams rather common.

Think you have 2 problems, Memory and temps.

Memory, could be wrong, but I think that is holding you back. With DDR667 and a Bus of 333 your ratio should be 1::1. I would replace with DDR2-800. Set bus to 400 (Not faimilar with your MB). and ratio to 1::1 for memory, All voltages to stock (Not set memory to manuf. specs - 1.9V for link. I like muskins, but corsair is also great, Get CL 4)

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682014676...

Temps- Not sure what your room temps are. Mine is around 70F and my core temps are approx 32C idle and 50 C under full load.
The stock cooler (HSF) for the E6400 is next to junk, Ton of post to support this view. But even with the stock HSF your temps are high. Check that it is mounted properly and is secure. Many find that one leg is not secured. Don't forget, if you remove it, you need to clean paste off of CPU/HSF and reapply termo compond.

Download CPUID's hareware monitor and verify your core 0 & core 1 temps.
www.cpuid.com/

My recommendation:
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683520700...

Also download CPUID HDwaremoitor and veify yor individual core temps.
www.cpuid.com/

For $70, You can be proud of that "old" E6400 and enjoy it at it's fullest.

PS May search for your MB and see if any problems hitting 3.2
February 19, 2009 10:56:10 PM

Hi, thanks for the reply, but I doubt I will be dropping any more money on this for a while, the 2.66ghz is already a 25% increase which I'm happy with.

some questions about the ratios, how exactly do they work? like is it better to go with a 1::1 ? what if I went with something that wasn't on a simple 1 digit ratio?

As for the cooler, it is the stock one, which isn't in its best condition, still using day one compound.

Thanks alot for all the links, I'll definitely look into those programs, I'm also running a Prime95 test now, getting 40c on the cpu but 67 on the cores .

as for my mobo hitting 3.2, it could but at the same time, I don't want to as for some reason I need to increase my PCI express frequency. at stock I need 100Mhz, 2.66ghz / 333FSB I need 112Mhz, 2.49ghz/312FSB I need around 105. I don't want to push it too high and damage/break anything.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 20, 2009 4:39:33 PM

The Ratio determines if your memory is running synchronous (1::1), or asynchronous, mode. The synchronous mode is generally best as the timing is “in step” with the CPU clock and is more efficient. DDR2-667 is rated at a FSB of 1332, By running at 4:5 ratio you are overclocking your memory which can be done if you reduce the timings. The increase in timings offsets the increase in memory speed and often leads to instability.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_side_bus#Memory

Additional discussions:
www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Memory+fsb+ratio

Why are you changing your PCIe Freq. The majority of discussions on this say leave it LOCKED at 100 MHz and that increasing it can lead to data corruption, instabilities and even destroying your Graphics card.

www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=PCIe+frequency
February 20, 2009 4:51:45 PM

For some reason my mobo needs it to be increased

http://www.google.ca/search?q=p5ld2-vm+pci+frequency+ov...
check the first few results.

to get 2.66ghz I need 112 PCI-e freq
to get 2.496ghz I need 105 PCI-e freq

I can't overclock on this motherboard without uping the frequency for some reason.

Thank you for all the help, I'll look into those links and learn about the FSB etc.
!