ssgciscokid

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
i bought a gateway fx6800 my problem is when i tried to install one external hard drive in one of the two sata ports my computer would not recognize the hard drive. After spending hours on the phone with gate way I still have not got it fixed what can I do.

dan_sundin

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
fx6831_FV2.png

This is the front view of the computer. Refer to the following table for more information.
Number Description
--- 1. --- Media control center, its functions and features are further explained here.
--- 2. --- Optical disc drives
--- 3. --- Two tool-free external expansion SATA hard drive bays with drive carriers with the cover open.

http://support.gateway.com/s/desktop/2010/gateway/fx/fx6831/FX6831fvr4.shtml

The prior link shows the Front Door Open for the FX-6831 series. Item Number 3 indicates the area where the external expansion SATA hard drive bays are located.

You need to follow the procedure outlined by Gateway in attaching your hard drive to this expansion tray. The following link will provide this procedure.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Support Document Title: Removable Hard Drive May Not Be Recognized

http://support.gateway.com/s/issues/150205091.shtml

Affected Products: Desktop Computers
Affected Operating Systems: Not OS Dependent

ISSUE: The computer may not recognize a hard drive inserted in the removable hard drive bay. Gateway® LX6810 and FX6800 series computers support tool-less removable hard drives in the two front expansion bays. The following scenarios may cause a removable hard drive to not be recognized.

• The removable hard drive was not properly installed in the tray.
• The removable hard drive tray is not fully inserted into the bay.
• The removable hard drive is not allocated.
• The removable hard drive tray was inserted into the bay while the computer was turned on.

RESOLUTION: Use the following steps to determine the cause of the problem and correct it.

Note: Turn the computer off before inserting the hard drive tray into the bay.

1. The hard drive was not installed properly in the tray. The metal prongs protruding from each side of the tray must be inserted into the screw holes closest to the connector end of the hard drive.

150205091_01.jpg

Note: Do not insert the metal prongs into the notches near the screw holes. Doing so does not allow the hard drive to connect properly to the power and data connector at the rear of the hard drive bay.

150205091_03.jpg

Refer to the hardware reference guide "Adding a removable hard drive" section for more information.

FX6800 - FX Hardware Reference Guide [ http://support.gateway.com/s/Manuals/Desktops/8513213.pdf ]

LX6810 - Gateway Hardware Reference Guide [ http://support.gateway.com/s/Manuals/Desktops/8513217.pdf ]

2. The removable hard drive tray is not fully inserted in the bay. The hard drive tray is not fully inserted if the computer's front sliding door cannot close. Reseat the hard drive tray and make sure it is slid fully into the hard drive bay.

Note: Turn the computer off before inserting the hard drive tray into the bay.

3. The removable hard drive is not allocated. If the hard drive is not allocated and partitioned, it is not recognized in My Computer. However it is visible in Disk Management. The hard drive becomes accessible in My Computer after it has been configured in Disk Management. To configure a blank hard drive in Windows Vista® Disk Management, follow these steps:

a. From the Windows Vista default Start menu, click Control Panel.

b. In Control Panel, click System and Maintenance.

c. In Control Panel System and Maintenance window, click Administrative Tools.

d. In the Administrative Tools window, double-click Computer Management.

e. In the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.

f. In the Computer Management window, select Disk Management.

g. Right-click the unallocated space you wish to create a new volume in, and then select New Simple Volume.

h. In the Welcome to the New Simple Volume Wizard dialog box, click Next.

i. In the Specify Volume Size dialog box, enter the appropriate information and then click Next.

j. In the Assign Drive Letter or Path dialog box, enter the appropriate information and then click Next.

k. In the Format Partition dialog box, enter the appropriate information and then click Next.

l. In the Completing the New Simple Volume Wizard dialog box, click Finish.

m. The volume is formatted. Larger drives take longer to format.

n. After the format process is complete, the drive is visible in My Computer.

4. The removable hard drive bay is not hot-swappable. Turn off the computer before installing or removing a hard drive tray. If a hard drive tray containing a hard drive is removed or installed while the computer is powered on, the hard drive may no longer function properly.

DATE RESOLVED: 02/19/2009