j2talc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Hello all,

I have a question about RAID setups. My system is a q8200, 8gig ram, 750gig hard drive, 2x 1.5tb hard drives, and radeon 4850 gfx card.
On the 750gig hdd I have Vista x64 (almost always use) and also Windows 7 x64. I just setup the two 1.5tb hdds in a RAID 1 arrangement. It was quite some work because when I would enable RAID in my bios the OS would blue screen and restart. Also intel storage matrix would not install without RAID being enabled so I was stuck in a loop. After some research I found this site , http://drnathan.teamhackaday.com/2009/03/09/how-to-enable-intel-ich-raid-after-installing-windows-vista/ , which helped me set it up correctly.

Now I have Vista booting and both 1.5tb drives show up as one drive. However, I cannot get into Windows 7 because it still blue screens. I could disable the RAID in the bios and boot into W7 and repeat the same process from the website, but will disabling the RAID cause my data to be lost? Or can I simply disable it / enable it as I feel? My other question is if I were to reinstall the W7 partition or eventually W7 as the entire 750gig drive will I be able to keep my RAID and it's data? If this is possible how do I do it?
Thank you.

j2talc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
I'm not really sure about the waiting. The main thing I want to figure out is if I disable the drives in the bios now that they are working and storing data and then enable them on another boot. Will that erase the data?