Status
Not open for further replies.

freshazzburu

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Recently, I've upgraded my CPU, Mobo, RAM, and Graphics on my computer. After the upgrade, my monitor won't shut off in either Vista or XP. Even when I turn the computer off, the monitor doesn't shut off. The monitor just displays the "no signal" message. Could I have a bad graphics card? I updated my drivers to the newest ones but it didn't solve it. I am using the same monitor prior to upgrading and I had no problems until after the upgrade.

Monitor: Hanns-G HG281D
Graphics: eVga 9600GT

Did you accidently change any of the auto power-off settings in the monitors menu? On my Samsung, you have the option to set how long the monitor stays on before powering down. If it is displaying "no-signal", the problem is with the monitor somewhere.

freshazzburu

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Let me be clear about a couple things I left out:

After the computer shuts off, my monitor displays the "no signal" message. I can still turn the monitor off manually by pressing the button.

It's the same in windows. When my monitor is scheduled to turn off (have screen saver at 5 min and monitor power off at 20 min) it just displays the "no signal" message. I can still turn the monitor off manually by pressing the button.

I went through the monitor's menu to look for any auto settings but did not find any. I reset to the factory's setting, but it still does it.

When the monitor is hooked up to another computer, the monitor functions correctly.

Because of these symptoms, I believe its a graphics card problem. I just don't know if it's hardware or software. I'm thinking that the signal to shut the monitor off isn't happening? Usually when then monitor reads "no signal" message, is it in the monitor's internal software that tells it to shut off the monitor?

I will troubleshoot by hooking another monitor up to my computer to see if the same problem happens. I'll update the results of that later today after I get a hold of another monitor.

Please share more ideas. Thanks.

freshazzburu

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007

I think this is the closest to solving my problem. I troubleshooted a little more. I unplugged the video cable (i'm using HDMI) from the monitor and it displays the "no signal" for about 5 seconds and then goes powers off (standby) like normal. So i'm thinking it does have to do with a motherboard setting.

I've been looking through my manual and the BIOS for a DPMS option or something similar but can't find anything related. If anyone can shed some light it would be appreciated. My motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L. Maybe a bios flash would solve the problem? I'll wait on more suggestions before going that route.

freshazzburu

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
I tested another monitor on my computer and the same thing happens. So I can count out the monitor for being at fault. Now it's down to either a setting in my BIOS, or a bad graphics card. Anyone want to chime in some ideas? I'm going to flash my BIOS to the latest version to see if it clears it up.

freshazzburu

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
I just wanted to update everyone in hopes to get any more suggestions.

I went ahead and updated the BIOS to the latest for my mobo. Still getting the same symptoms. I figured the mobo might have been polling the monitor but seems like it wasn't because of the old BIOS. If it is, I can't find any settings in the BIOS. I'm wondering if it's a bad graphics card. I'll have to wait until someone lends me theirs to test.

Again, any other ideas, please post and help!! It's irritating to lean and shut off the monitor every time I leave my PC!!

crazylizardman

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2008
I have the same monitor, same issue. I have two of these monitors and the menu buttons are on the side, which makes it a pain to manually power down with the monitors side by side.

I'm using the HDMI to DVI cable rather than VGA - beginning to wonder if that has anything to do with it (not sure why it would but I'm willing to try whatever). I'll test that soon and report back.

Monitor: Hanns·G HG-281DPB Black 28" 3ms Widescreen
Video Card: GeForce 8800GS
Motherboard: ASUS P5K PRO LGA 775 Intel P35

crazylizardman

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2008
WOW! Fixed!!

So today I plugged up the left monitor with VGA (left the other using HDMI), set the monitors to power off in 1 minute in Vista, BAM. They BOTH turned off like they were supposed to. That is a first on this system using these monitors.

Hope that helps some folks out there!

EDIT: Upon a second test, only the left (VGA connected) monitor is shutting off. I guess that means I'm going to go with VGA on both monitors.

freshazzburu

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
For those still having this issue, I've fixed it somehow. i think all I did was unplug all the connections on my power brick, unplugged the power brick and reattached it later - I'm assuming that's what it took because I recently moved and when everything was plugged up I never saw that problem again.

Hope that leads to solutions.

PS: I have my computer hooked up to DVI->HDMI for the digital input and I also have an XBOX360 hooked up to component->VGA for the analog input (still displays as 1080P).

adamlucas4

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
Ok , now i know you already fixed it but what I find with my 22" Samsung Moniter is that if i have it plugged into a Power Surge protection bar than it wont shut off so i just plg it straight into the wall outlet. :hello: :eek:

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
why do i get the distinct feeling you guys were not talking about monitors but TVs, please dont get the two mixed up, a tv will generally stay on display the "no signal" error until its turned off.

tudor_m27

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Hello! Is this thread still alive? I have the same problem getting the 'no signal' message after shuting down the computer and i really hate to press the power button. I'm using a Samsing 2033sn with a nvidia 8600gt on a Asus M2A-VM board and i couldn't find any DPMS setting on the bios. Does anybody have other sugestions?

haldavid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
i'm getting this exact same problem and it is incredibly frustrating!

HP w2408h monitor
ATI HD 5850 vid card
Gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3p mobo

using straight hdmi

blargh! anyone have any positive results?

haldavid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
hm i found on another forum that it might possibly be an issue with the catalyst drivers identifying the monitor as an HDTV and not a monitor, causing the DPMS function to not work. how can we fix this?

nightfishing

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010

Anyone make any progress. I have the same issue. Monitor shuts off fine if connected VGA, but does not if connected via HDMI.

Samsung monitor/ATI card

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

Samsung monitor+ ATI card. The remote control switches the monitor OFF :na:

liviushor

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
i have this problem too.....i discovered that when i shut down my computer in my monitors source menu , Samsung p2470hd, hdmi is greyed out and it shows no signal beacuse it remotes itself in the PC mode(analog VGA) . U can select HDMI PC in the source menu when u open ur pc and u can see the image when WIn 7 logs on, still i cant see an image when it boots. My question is....is there any way for the HDMI PC in the source menu to stay active while computer shuts down or is in stand by????

Samsung monitor + Gforce 8300....i surely believe it is a monitor problem!

rwiersma

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
I am encountering the same issue with my Hanns-G HG281D and a GTS250 XFX card.

I just upgraded from a 8800GTX that worked fine, but now the monitor remains on "check video input" when the PC goes into standby or when its shutdown.

asus crosshair mobo (latest bios with S1&S3 acpi enabled)
Hanns-G HG281D Monitor - connected using DVI out to HDMI in, on the monitor
XFX GTS250 GFX with clean install of latest nVidia drivers installed.
Win7 Ultimate

The standby feature on the monitor worked fine on the eVGA 8800GTX card I replaced. Connection DVI>>HDMI was the same as well. I have not bothered with DVI>>VGA because the last time I used it, it looked horrible, so if that is what it takes I won't use the card. ha ha

Extremely frustrating, I already forgot to turn off my monitor once, an had 5 1/2 hours of "Check input" square sitting in the middle of my screen.

EDIT: I tested a DVI>>VGA cable I had laying around, an that of course works fine. Not a surprise really. But I can notice a text quality and color vibrance hit easily just looking at my desktop. Either my cable is of poor quality, or my screen is just big enough to tell the difference. The monitor will standby in win7 and when the PC is shutoff when using that cable. So it is for sure linked to the HDMI input factor. At least in this case. It just baffles me that it worked fine on the older card, but the newer one is giving me issues.

olympios

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Same happened here when I replaced MoBo and video card (Nvidia GTX 470). Now I have to manually turn off the monitor. However, I have noticed the following: When I shut PC down and monitor displays "No signal, check video...", if I manually turn the monitor off and then back on, it will go to STAND-BY mode after ten seconds!!! Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.