Multiplier in cpuz is different from BIOS...???

Hey, i have a Q9550 on an MSI p45 Platinum motherboard, and when i go to over clock it i set the multiplier to 8.5, and the fsb to 352, so i can get a 3.0Ghz overclock. but when i boot up, and look in cpuz, it says im running 352Mhz X an 8.0 multiplier... why is it doing that? how do i get it to run at 8.5? cuz if i use the 8.0 setting my computer wont boot, cuz of my 800Mhz ram.... please help me
thanks
8 answers Last reply
More about multiplier cpuz bios
  1. Its called SpeedStep, once the computer is booted up it lowers the CPU multiplier to save on energy and lower the heat being generated by the CPU. When the extra power is needed (default setting is 5% or more CPU power used under Vista) the multiplier will go up again.
  2. ok, thats what i had hoped it was, i was worried something was wrong with my computer...
    is there anyway to turn it off??
  3. oh ok, thanks.
    is there anyway to turn it off???
  4. oh ok, thanks.
    is there anyway to turn it off???
  5. JDocs said:
    Its called SpeedStep, once the computer is booted up it lowers the CPU multiplier to save on energy and lower the heat being generated by the CPU. When the extra power is needed (default setting is 5% or more CPU power used under Vista) the multiplier will go up again.

I don't know. SpeedStep usually defaults to an X6 multiplier.

@OP, you can check this watching cpuz as you run something that loads the CPU (an instance of Prime95, for example). You should see the CPU go to full speed.

SpeedStep can be turned off in the BIOS. In the "Advanced Features" menu, look for something called "EIST" (Enhanced Intel SpeedStep) and disable it.
  6. ok sweet, thanks alot! :)
    and sorry, i know im a newbie at overclocking....
  7. umm yeah i read it, but there is no speedstep option in the BIOS! why would i not read the manual first? see its people like you that make me really HATE forum websites.
    so do u have anything better to do than just sit here and look for people to flame?
    thanks everyone else for the help
    i am now running at 3Ghz with an 8 multiplier and a 353 FSB, cuz my PC wont go up to 8.5 multiplier even with prime 95 running. i know its a BIOS setting, and my manual shows a speedstep option in the Cell Menu, but there is none. oh well, my RAM can run at 900Mhz so im fine.
  8. Some motherboards support the Q9550 but not its odd multiplier. Normally the multiplier is a whole number so yeah.

Try updating your BIOS otherwise your kind of stuck there.

Also when overclocking on some motherboards SpeedStep and C1E options are either disabled or removed.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking