Last response: in Motherboards
July 10, 2008 10:02:53 PM

Hi guys,

Relative system specs:
Asus Rampage Formula
Q6600
Thermalright Ultra Extreme
Corsair 650W

I've been buying parts for a new PC for a month now and the last parts arrived today - the motherboard, RAM and processor. After spending a few hours putting it all together, fully expecting it not to work for one reason or another (First time, something's bound to go wrong), I was proved right, and when I turned it on, I heard a slick "crack" noise, the fan started then stopped, and nothing more. I tried turning the power supply off and on a few times with more and more devastating results - eventually the upstairs power blew and I had to go reset the fuses. This was a Corsair 650W.

I tried the motherboard out of the case with an Antec 550W and got the same kind of results without the bangs, but basically no matter which parts I took out or put in, I got no BEEP to say whether it wasn't detecting parts or anything, when I turn the switch on on the power supply, the power, reset switch and sound card etc light up on the board fine, but when I press the on button, the LEDs light up for a fraction of a second, power goes to the fan and stops instantly, i heard the fan in the power supply do the same.

I've spoken to a technical friend who thinks that the initial damage from that first boot has blown something in the motherboard, which is causing it to short out, and cut the power as a safety feature.

I wondered if you guys had any advice on whether the board is borked, power supply or both. The error message I'm getting on the POST LED display is "CPU INIT", which I don't think is an actual error, it's just not supposed to happen for more than a few secs.

I've sent in a request to RMA the Motherboard and the PSU but any advice on what went wrong, if it's my fault, and how to fix it would be much appreciated.
a b V Motherboard
July 10, 2008 10:24:28 PM

did you see any smoke or any momentary flash,can you smell anything,like burnt semi conductor,do you have a V.o.m., meter ??
as you probably know all psu's have a "power good" line which if it does not get the proper signal back from the mobo will shut the system down and,,, can you test your power supply with another mobo,if your psu works on another system then there is no doubt that the mobo is toast,maybe ,just,,maybe the mobo was not properly seated on the backplane ,,thus the short out,after all you did have to reset a fuse..eh what ?? :>)
July 10, 2008 10:35:47 PM

Wait a minute...
Did you just say "borked"?
Did he just say "borked"?

Yo, yo man, let me ask you something:

Are you a virgin?

-------------
Also, if something fried that badly in the PSU, you should be able to put your nose up to the intake or exhaust openings and smell "burnt electrical". It might be faint, but it will be acrid and perceptible.

Also, check your motherboard for bulging or blown capacitors, mosfets, transistors, etc. Look for tiny smoke trails on the motherboard that come from the above components.

Sorry to hear about the worst case scenario happening to you.
Related resources
July 10, 2008 10:51:22 PM

Thanks for the quick replies - the restting fuse thing was the fuses for the house - when the PSU blew, it knocked out the rest of the power... which was wierd.

Other than that I can't see any noticeable damage to the motherboard - no blown capacitors etc. I don't even think there was a proper burning smell, although when the PSU went, something defintely blew up inside it, sparks and everything
July 10, 2008 10:53:30 PM

Quote:
can you test your power supply with another mobo,if your psu works on another system

To be hones the last time I turned on the PSU the bang made me fairly wary of touching it again - I wouldn't want to attach it to another computer and blow that up too.
July 11, 2008 12:17:50 AM

I would say, based on what you've said, that the PSU fried and took out your motherboard (since a different PSU isn't working).
It might not have blown any components, or it just might not be visible, and there is always the chance that circuit traces in the layers of the motherboard could have been damaged, too.
And RAM.
Do you know someone who will let you try your CPU & RAM in their LGA775 motherboard to make sure you don't have to RMA the CPU and/or RAM, too?
In fact, all components that were attached to the mother board should be checked out, just in case. ;-)
July 11, 2008 10:18:14 AM

I guess I'll have to try that. If this is the case, I'm guessing Corsair are responsible for replacing the damaged components yes?
July 11, 2008 11:06:12 PM

I've just tried all the different parts in a friend's computer - the PSU has definitely killed the board, but at least the CPU and RAM is ok. I've sent sent the PSU back, time to RMA the motherboard.
Thanks for all the advice
!