Sign in with
Your question

Cannot format usb flash drive as NTFS

Last response: in Storage
August 8, 2009 1:00:47 PM

Hi there... i also have the Sandisk Cruzer 16gb. i am having the same problem cannot transfer files over 4GB. The help files tells me to format it as NTFS but that option isn't available to me. I have Windows XP and am running SP3 on it. Please help and advise. Thanks.

SD
a b G Storage
August 10, 2009 6:04:40 AM

You sure you want to do this? You may have a harder time ejecting your disk when you're done with it, since Windows will keep it active longer than usual.

In any case, here's what you can do:
  • Go to Device Manager
  • Look for your flash drive under Disk Drives. Right-click on it and select Properties.
  • Under the Policies tab, select Optimize for Performance, then click OK.
  • Try formatting the disk again through Windows. You should now see an option for NTFS.

Hope this helps!
    m
    l
    a b G Storage
    August 10, 2009 7:36:56 AM

If you have any computers with Vista available, you should be able to format it as NTFS with vista without any trouble (and once you do that, XP will recognize it too).
    m
    l
    Related resources
    a c 415 G Storage
    August 10, 2009 8:04:45 AM

Be aware that if you use "Optimize for Performance" then you should be careful to make the "safely remove drive" request before unplugging the drive. Performance-optimized drives do write caching which can cause data corruption if they're not removed cleanly.
    m
    l
    January 21, 2014 6:55:14 PM

I have ever also encountered the similar USB drive problem. But, in order to rescue all the inner stored data back, I also post my question here. And fortunately, I finally restored all my wanted data back successfully by following some suggestions.
    So, you may read my thread and get some clues here:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1988314/format-san...
    m
    l
    January 21, 2014 7:21:36 PM

Have you tried a USB flash drive formatting tool?
    m
    l
    February 17, 2014 1:04:40 PM

r_manic said:
    You sure you want to do this? You may have a harder time ejecting your disk when you're done with it, since Windows will keep it active longer than usual.

In any case, here's what you can do:
  • Go to Device Manager
  • Look for your flash drive under Disk Drives. Right-click on it and select Properties.
  • Under the Policies tab, select Optimize for Performance, then click OK.
  • Try formatting the disk again through Windows. You should now see an option for NTFS.

Hope this helps!

m
    l
    February 17, 2014 1:05:09 PM

Thanks bro that was to me wery helpfull thank you so much :*
    m
    l
    !