new egg open box.. experiences

atekido82

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
anyone here have Motherboards they bought form Newegg as a "open Box" deal?

do they have any kind of return policy and such for them? just curious if they are open box im assuming they were previously returned and something was wrong if so i wouldnt want to risk it unless there is some kind of return for them.

gaiden

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
there is a help page on newegg about open box items, i think you are only getting the 'main' item, that's it, nothing else... so unless you have it all and one thing you needed is that particular item to complete a project, and you like cheaper things and dont mind possible defects and have the patience to to deal with the problem if there is one (such as DOA) then this is for you. otherwise i would go for ebay before considering an open box...

gl

shadowthor

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
I would get a brand new one instead of an open box as you never know the true reason why it was returned, maybe someone experimented on it with overclocking, etc.

shoota

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
i've heard some positive things about open box mobos. You're only supposed to get the main item so with mobos u could be missing things such as cables, driver disks, and backplate. But i've heard alot of ppl get everything that came originally with the full retail product. who cares if it's been overclocked? it's no more than a month old anyway, not long enough to hurt it really and even if there is something wrong with it you can return it. anyways just my two cents, i'll be buying an open box mobo with my next build for sure. good luck.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
I would stay away. I've seen a lot of people talk about getting something and hooking it up wrong or overclocking it and frying it and sending it back. They don't test what comes back and the warranty is much shorter so I would suggest you buy the new version.

chuckm

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007

They do test to make sure the item is functional. Sometimes people get everything ,sometimes they don't. Here's newegg's return policy, may have to scroll down to find the open box one.

http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/ReturnPolicy.aspx#8

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Ive utilized Open box for a motherboard, HD and GFX card, and all 3 work just fine. The Mobo was missing all accessories, but works just fine. The only thing is to be sure to test it quickly, as I recall, you have 10 days from when they ship to return it.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I purchased "Brand New" from NewEgg and received "Open Box" items...this is becoming more and more common with NewEgg. It's becoming such a problem that I've started buying from TigerDirect.

Not exactly sure what is going on with NewEgg as they used to be very reliable, but either they are getting A LOT of returns and it's hurting their bottom line so they're shipping out "New" when they are really "open box" -- not cool!

So be aware, NewEgg is no longer a reliable source in my eyes, so much so that I've contact "the Dog" at Maximum PC to see if they can find out more about NewEgg's "issues".

Addictech

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
Yes, I bought an "open-box" sabertoth 990 fx R2 and it came in white carton without I/O Shield. Newegg don't give me a solution, I bought the original I/O Shield in AliXprees, The mobo runs OK.