New CPU and RAM

gamax

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
Hi. I currently am thinking of upgrading my CPU and RAM. I have atm 2GB and an Opteron 170 overclocked to 2.8.

I read on some websites that Quad cores and 4GB are the way to go if I had vista 64 bit or something. However I don't plan on getting it and will continue to use XP for a while until I finally buy a new system.

I want to play Crysis though (have a 8800GTS 512), so I am curious, which processor would you guys recommend for this? A core2quad or core2duo? My main thing is gaming, I don't really do anything else on this comp. Also, for WinXP32, would 2GB be fine? Or must I get 4GB to play crysis fine? (I take it crysis is the most demanding game for a long shot)

I am estimating a budget of $450 by the end of June probably. (Including memory CPU and motherboard)

As of now, since I will build a new system around Summer next year, leaning towards a Q6600 and 4GB DDR2 G.Skill RAM (2x 2GB). Just would like to know if the cheaper E8400 and only 2GB would be enough.

Thanks.

akhilles

Splendid
Dualies still rule gaming until the majority of games start taking advantage of the remaining cores. The e8400 is the most popular choice. I used to game. At 4ghz, it flies.

You can use up to 3.5gb in 32-bit os. You can get a 2gb kit for less than $50. However, the 4gb kits are dropping in prices like there's no tomorrow. It might be worth the money for the extra 1.5GB. The low prices won't be around forever.