help! need to know more about speeds!!

scpunx

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
okay.. so i really dont know a lot about networking and how it works etc so i need to find some stuff out.

i have had a Addon wireless adaptor in my pc since i bought it, and recently noticed my internet speed had drop so much my internet had pretty much stopd working, i looked at the mpbs speed and at times it was reading as low as 12mpbs!! i tried reinstalling it etc and still it had no change on the speed.

so got an ethernet and connected it straight from my router to my on bored modem and it started reading speeds on 100mpbs. i think my broadband connection is 2meg (ano that isnt even fast, but still)..
these are the specs on my onbored modem(/ ethernet cable connection thing) LAN Broadcom AC131 10/100 Lan Phy and my router is a Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL2+ Modem/Router will i be able to higher than 100mpbs using that?

any feedback on why my wireless adaptor is running so slow would also be great!

thanks.

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
distance from router, walls, other electrics in the way, tis a radio signal afterall so if your house has thick walls it will lose a lot of performance connecting.

well if your internets only 2mb, 12mb is fine.
i would suggest logging into your router to check what speed you are currently connecting to the internet, load up ie (or similar) and enter the address of your router (eg 192.168.1.1)

just because you can connect faster to the router does not mean you will connect faster to the internet.

i would try restarting the router, possibly running a virus/spyware scan on the machine to make sure nothing else if using your bandwidth.