Wireless connection

johnm chase

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I recently replaced my broadband router I had one for 5 years that just went out.
The one I got was from WalMart a linksys wireless G wrt54g. I managed to link all my laptops the family has but now my Dell Axiom 30 wont link up. It sees the network and my neighbors networks but I cant get it to link up. I think this new device must have some security options preventing the Dell from working.....any Ideas?

G

Address the router's user interface and setup pages via your browser using an ethernet wired link to the problem computer.

Probably in the wireless section you'll find options for wireless security/encryption and a section allowing you to include or exclude named computers by MAC ID.

Disable wireless security temporarily and include/exclude permanently. Apply the settings and exit

Disconnect ethernet and see if you can then connect by wireless. If so the issue could be something as simple as wrong choice of encryption or mistyped passphrase.

At worst it will be incompatibility between Dell wireless adapter and router -- check that both are set to the same wireless mode (802.11b, g, n -- whatever) and download the latest driver for wireless adapter (preferably from the chipset manufacturer's site a it may be newer than Dell's).