Is Toms Hardware still right?

Cpt Deadboots

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Maybe change the memory to G. Skill DDR2-800. Better quality than Wintec IMHO.

And why in the world would you give it 1.55v? That CPU overclocks to 3.0 on stock voltage.

Looks like an excellent deal.

brett701

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
looks like i will have to purchase it and overclock. ive never done that before well see how it goes? Will the fan be excessively loud bc/ the last cpu i built was super loud. This will be fun. Thanks for the help everyone.j

100 fps at decent resolution is all i really want for the gaming portion. i just need to make sure the dual monitor portion works with lcd and crt at same time.

This cpu is built mainly for gaming. I am using it other than gaming. i will be using dragon natural speech recogntion. fultilt poker, ultimatebet poker, poker tracker and pokerace hud at the same time. Poker tracker really takes up alot of resources. Will this cpu be good enough? are their any adjustments i should make other than different ram? possibly more ram?

Also, will this be upgradeable in the future or is that out of the question?

Which is the best site to purchase these items? newegg or pricewatch? and do they have a warranty?

SOrry for all the questions.

Thanks a ton for all your help. couldnt do it without this forum and everyones help.

weinzey

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2008
is 500 all u got for this pc?
if not, remember its on a very tight budget, which means some components arent best bang for the buck.
you wont get 100 fps on any actual game with this. i'd at least change the gfx card and get a e7200, if you can afford one...

brett701

Distinguished
May 12, 2008

i can maybe spend another 100 or so, but i liked the idea of keeping it at 500 bc/ the price just keeps hopping up. i can always find more stuff that i want and the price just goes up a bit here and there and you realize its going to cost you 1000 instead of 500.

akhilles

Splendid
It's been said many times: the point of overclocking is to buy a cheap cpu & overclock it to a more expensive one. You'd be getting more bang for your buck.

I'm leaning towards weinzey's suggestion. If you have the money, get a better gpu like OEM 9600gt for a little more than $100 after rebate, and an E7200. And you're all set. 3.6ghz is possible on stock cooling.