Raid0 boot drive setup and restore

magicine

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
Doing some planning and I'm a little out of my knowledge area.

Once I do a fresh install of an OS, say Win7 or XP on a raid 0 SSD setup, I assume I can then use a disk imaging software to image that onto a backup drive, THEN restore that same image from a single drive back onto the raid 0 drive set I boot from and have a successful reboot??

In other words will the image be deposited in such a way that files necessary for booting will be put back on the correct drive in the set?? if that is even a potential problem?

Thanks for the most excellent feedback

jh

maxima120

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
I know Acronis will do just fine. However it cost money.

I'd rather use free Win7 system backup which will create image of your OS and also backup necessary files.

Also - in case of backup - you deal with logical disk and your RAID configuration will be irrelevant, hence it is more simple and error prone (in normal words - if you **** up the RAID your data will be lost, if you use backup - it is no matter how bad you **** your RAID up - the data is still with you and can be placed on any disk).

magicine

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
I use Shawdow protect, it has worked great. F--up of the raid is actually highly rare, as rare any single drive in a computer that has two seperate drives statistically in my opinion, the reason for the raid 0 image being made often.

The question really is, the backed up raid 0 inmage will be written back and cause no problems t reboot, I have not this type of setup yet. If it was just a data image from a raid 0 setup, imaging back is no problem as I have done that, it's just the boot drive special needs as far as specific file locations.