BIOS update quite confusing.. help plz

northZephyr

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Hi
My friend's new comp is here and we'ere really wondering this :

An Intel Q9450 and a ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP ATX LGA775 P35 mobo.

To support the new 45nm, the bios has to be updated. Now, we searched the web but nobody never told how to update the bios.
So, we're thinking about two options :

1- Install the PC as usual. Plug in a USB with the bios update in it. And use the 'flash' thing they call to update the bios.

2- Install an old 65nm Intel s775 cpu, turn on, update the bios. Then replace it with the Q9450.

So what exactly we have to do to make the mobo update its bios to support the Q9450. In our opinion, logically, the computer just won't turn on since there's theorically no CPU (the mobo doesn't recognize it)...

Hope you understand what I mean

THx

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
if you have a 65nm processor --- do option 2

I don't think the board will post to update the bios with\out a processor it recognizes. Don't know for sure but i know option 2 will work

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Yea, basically you've answered your own question. It wouldn't hurt to try the first option. But most likely you will have to resort to the second option. From what I could find on Asus' website, you just download the EZ Flash 2 utility to a USB stick with the updated BIOS file on it too and boot from the USB stick. There should be instructions included with the either the utility or the BIOS file itself. In case this is also what you're wondering, it won't hurt the computer at all to try option 1 first, then resort to option 2 if option 1 isn't successful.