How to get ati and nvidia working on same motherboard

magnus33

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
Have a nvidia 8600gts and 1650 ati.

M2N sli deluxe motherboard.

Windows vista

Now i can run two at pci express cards no problem but the moment i try to get the mvidia and ati cards working together i get told one driver is compatable with the other vga card.

Is there anyway to get them both working or am i just stuck getting another nvidia card?

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
you can't "link" cards made under different architectures

if you want to SLI you have to use 2 nvidia cards of the same type (ie: 2x 8600 gts) if you want to crossfire it has to be 2 ati of the same type (ie:1650 x2)

If this isn't what you meant, i'm not sure where you're going with this.

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007

ovaltineplease is correct ! :bounce:

magnus33

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
That i understand.

I was just wishing to run them.

It was done here before i think...h**p://www.techarena.in/comments.php?shownews=2382

romulus47plus1

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2008
Like how? They're of different brands, and I don't think you can like, make them friends.
About the link you gave us, it is still like, not working together

4745454b

Titan
Try loading one driver with one card installed, and then the other? Make sure you have all SLI functions turned off in the bios (if any) AFTER you install the second card. You should be able to run one card from each company in your computer at the same time.

leo2kp

Distinguished
Yes you should be able to run two different cards separately if done right. People do it all the time for the same reason you are. And in many games, you have a choice of which video driver to use. Those are games that will allow you to choose different cards if you have more than one installed.

4745454b

Titan
Try switching which slot they go into? Try loading them singularly to make sure they both work? Did you verify that SLI is turned off everywhere (including any options in the bios) after installing the second card? What error message did you get again?

magnus33

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
Sadly it seems on this board ati and nvidia don't work together.

No matter which order or how you load the card.

Ahh well time for another nvidia card it would seem.

Turns out its not the fault of any of the hardware but rather the fault of vista.

Vista no longer lets you use two different types of video card unless they use the same driver.

h**p://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/multimonVista.mspx

4745454b

Titan
OMG, thanks for the link. Yet another reason why Vista sucks.

With XP, you simply load the driver, plug in the device, and away you go. Not so with Vista.

Thanks for the education, I'll be sure to make note of it.

G

well try two nvidis preferable the same speed and model because when you link on crossfire or sli the software match both video card like one thats meanfusuin like one but with 2 core processors and even if you set up ati and nvidia that my result in a blue screen or mybe system corruption
same cards same brand same speed in one (2 in 1) otherwise you might have a painfull times thats it i really recomend nvidia chipset better than ati i use ati for many years and it sucks its good but nvidia is better try separately and see the diference by your self
ati make a lot of problems every 1 or 2 months yes the driver out of date and with nvidia only 1 or 2 years
like my one 2 evga nvidia 9500 gt sli yesterday install the new driver and is workink like a charm no more problems in many months but ati still good try by yourself better grapics 110% warranty

TRENDING THREADS