Mid-range budget gaming rig ($1100 Canadian)

blu3ness

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
Hello everyone, I am building my first system in 5 years, based on about a 2 month research and reading that i've conducted here around tomshardware, newegg, I decided on the following system. Please comment and let me know if there's any problems I should look out for, mainly in 45nm compatibilities, memory problem, PSU problem (I might go for SLI when the price of 8800gt drops more)

Here is a link to the excel spreadsheet, it's on google doc, guaranteed no popups or spywares :)

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pvd4xy2daY0rOAAfyOnwPEA

I should also add that I do consider Abit IP35-Pro as an alternative, however, it seems that the IP-35 only works well with 65nm CPUs, they are somewhat buggy when it comes to 45nm CPUs, their tech support is also very poor. Therefore, I have been having doubts on picking the IP35-Pro. I appreciate any feedback on my mobo choices.

Thank you very much!!

evilshuriken

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
I like your list, only thing that bothers me is that motherboard... do you really need a $260 motherboard?
I guess I could be really cheap...

If you're pursuing triple-sli in the future I guess it might make sense, but I've never really thought such extremes are really worth it.

blu3ness

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
Hello Evilshuriken, In answering your question, my stupid local part shop only have Asus and .. well go figure, EVGA that are worth considering, the P5K has some problems with 45 nm CPUS without flashing to a new BIOS, and the P5E, which is close to the price of EVGA 780i has a high DOA rate and seems to be getting a lot of complaints for its poor customer services. So yeah, in short, I don't really have any other options, if I order online, after tax/shipping it comes down to be pretty close.

Thank you for your input!

evilshuriken

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
You could always try ebay(contrary to popular belief you CAN get good things from reputable merchants) :p. I bet you can get something nice if you do a little research, and perhaps use the savings on something else like saving for a new monitor or something.

Also, thanks for indirectly giving me the idea of using google docs for organizing builds.
I used their spreadsheet for something else once before, but it never occurred to me to use it as a way of sharing build ideas :)