Sign in with
Your question

Efficient Storage -- Partitions

Last response: in Storage
August 9, 2009 5:53:38 PM

So I've got two hard drives in my box..a 320GB/8mb cache and a 750GB/32MB cache. I'm looking to dual boot Windows 7 and XP 64 bit..With 7 as my primary as I like it much more :) 

Any ways, I am looking for the most efficient way I can partition these drives, something along the lines of OS/Games/Music/Documents?

Also, I'm tryng to figure out which RAID configurations would be suit my interests. Both being in 0 maybe?

I've never had this much space to play around with and I'd like to make it as neat as possible.

So any suggestions of how I can arrange all of this is much appreciated.

Thanks
August 9, 2009 6:19:23 PM

how about no raid and keep the OS's separate (aka each one on its own drive)
a b G Storage
August 9, 2009 6:41:55 PM

The simplest thing to do is put XP on the 320 and Win7 on the 750.
Related resources
August 9, 2009 7:28:08 PM

The 750 GB HDD will be faster, so you will want Win 7 and your games on it. It's the bigger drive though, so you'll probably want most of your music/documents on it as well. You should probably just do what Jsc said. You could use the 320 GB drive for XP and some storage.
August 9, 2009 8:11:30 PM

Well at the moment, They're both booting off of opposite drives (Xp is on the 750/7 on the 320) so I'll switch them around and do something like this:( ?)

-750 - Windows 7 Partition / Games Partition / Music Partition

-320 - Windows XP Partition / Documents Partition

As far as dual booting goes, in order to boot separate OS's I have to load the proper Hard Drive from my BIOS..is there a way to have a "dual OS" bootloader..like a flash screen that allows me to toggle which OS I boot into, instead of BIOS or F8

Its not really an issue, just curious.

Thanks Everyone!!

PS - So no RAID settings, would be preferable?
!