Voltage setup question

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
I was wondering if letting the CPU voltage at auto is a problem when OCing you rig ? I am stressing my rig right now with the voltage at auto and it doesn't seem to pose a problem for the moment. It's not a huge over clock q9450 from 2.66 to 3.2.

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
wow, i'm messing around with my voltages right now. i'm currently stress testing
if you leave it on auto, the voltages will change with the demand. the problem is it can overexagerate the demand and damage the processor(or make it hotter than you want). i recommend that you set the voltage as low as you can. your CPU will run several degrees cooler. just do what you normally do when overclocking (eg little change, stress test)

calinkula

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Exactly what cheepstuff said, motherboards tend to over compensate on voltages causing a higher temp. Your system will be just as stable on manually set lower volts, thus bringing lower temps and allowing a higher OC.

gonk98

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
What i'm doing to my pc is pick a lower number of voltage first, run a stress test, if your overclocked cpu is undervoltage, it will probably hung up instantly in about 15-20 sec, then choose a higher voltage, until you can do about 15-30 minute stress test. And dont forget that there are other factor that can make your system to crash (ram, psu, etc)

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
While I am at it, voltage wise, should all other voltage be set in manuel ? things such as south bridge, north bridge, VTT, etc etc. I know the RAM voltage should be at the manufacturer specification. I am asking this because when reading guides things are not always so clearly explained concerning those matters