Is this bios or os problem

pappysniper

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
Hi all, I seem to have lost my cdrom drive, It really stange it shows up in the post and if I go into the bios setup it there along with the HDD but when I go to the boot menu it gone, it never show up in MY COMPUTER in Windows but i can see it in device manager with Exclamation Mark going througth it uninstalling and reinstalling it make no differance.

I am wondering this has got to be a bios problem, because even though the bios see it I can not boot from it, I don't no I'll leave it to greater computer minds than mine.

thanks for any help you can give.......

It's rare that an ide or sata port fail. Check your bios settings and enable all ide and sata devices, even raid; some boards won't detect sata except in raid mode. You can enable it without using it.

pappysniper

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
Thanks o1die for your reply, been into the bios setup but can't find where to turn these thing on. what I have tried is to try different HDD's on both ide and they are working fine.
I'v also tried 4 different cd/dvd roms plus an external rom, I always get the same problem so that would say that the ide controllers are working correctly,
If I update the bios do you think this will make a difference

thank's for your help.............