How do I create a xp/vista dual boot drive?

zompton

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
As i posted before i am getting Vista 64 in a few day. I have decided i would like to keep all the existing data on my hard drive and create another partition for vista on the same hard drive. Is this possible without re-installing xp again? If so how would i go about doing this during installation? When its all done, would i just change the boot drive in the bios to pick the OS, or is there an easier way? Here is my system specs again;

Case: Antect 900
CPU: Q6600 B3
RAM: 4GB DDR2 800
GFX: 8800 GTX
HDD: WD320AAKS (current xp install, i want vista on this drive too) and WD500AAKS (data storage only)
MB: Abit IP35 Pro
Sound: Creative Xfi Xtremegamer
DVD: Asus DVD Bruner x2

If anyone could explain this process for me that would be great, thanks.

coldneutron

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
u could do it that way. just google xp/vista dual boot to find step by step guides. vista will use its boot loader for both os and give u a choice at boot. if u don't already have another partition u will have to create one with a program like partition magic or gparted.

however, since u already have 2 hd, i would load vista on the other hd with the first hd disconnected. then use the quick boot feature of the bios to select the hd to boot from.

zompton

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
The 500GB has roughly 80GB free, and thats because I have already deleted every thing i don't mind losing. If i cant keep my current xp install (say on 120gb) and add the new Vista install (on the other 200GB) then ill just do vista alone.

carver_g

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007

I had that exact situation today: XP already loaded on a drive, one partition using all the space, and the client wanted to dual-boot Vista on the same drive to do some software testing.

I followed the steps on this website and it worked great:

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_xp__stepbystep_guide_with_screenshots.htm

After all is done, you will get a menu after post where you can choose to boot XP or Vista.

zompton

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Okay there is one problem i forgot to mention. When i installed xp i forgot not to plug in the flash card readers. Right now my primary drive is the I drive. If i follow that guide, will i be able to set the vista partition to C, xp partition to D, then add the flash card readers cd drives ect ect?