Desperately need help! Boot error!

kegs88

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Hey everyone, I would be extremely grateful if someone could help me diagnose my problem!

I recently put together a new system with the following parts

-XFX Extreme Gamer Motherboards 33P-N680-ILT SLi Intel Socket 775
-Western Digital 320G SATAII 7200 rpm HDD Surveillance (16Mb Cache)
-Thermaltake Tough Power 750W Modular PSU
-Albatron GeForce 9600GT 512M DDR3 HDTV Dual DVI TV Out DirectX10
-Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF 4GB (2x XMS2 2GB) PC-8500 (1066MHz) DDR2 5
-Intel CORE2QUAD Q9300/2.50GHz/6MB/1333FSB/LGA775/QUAD CORE
-my old sony dvd-rom drive.

The issue is that when i turn on the computer it starts up with the motherboard logo etc and then when i press F1 to "continue" it says:

Boot from CD : DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

The boot device priority list has everything disabled except the CDROM drive and I have tried booting with Solaris, Linux and Windows XP professional (all of which returned this error). I have also tried a total of three different CD-ROM drives to no avail. When i contacted the tech-support from the place i purchased the parts they said WTFZZ? I am hoping you guys can help me out!!!!!

Any ideas? (I can only think that the motherboard is faulty).

deadcells

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Alternatively, check the cd's to make sure they are bootable.

Why don't you set the first boot device to CD rom and second to HDD to see what happens.

kegs88

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Hey deadcells,

Yes, both the HDD and CDROM drives are being detected. I tried what you suggested but it still doesnt work :(. Thanks for your assistance

maximiza

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
"my old sony dvd-rom drive" might be headed to the dumpster, try anouther DVD-ROM drive, you probably got to upgrade the firmware in that Sony oldie

I know you have the boot device priority set to cd rom but do you have the hard drive boot priority set to the correct drive> That is if you have more than one hard drive installed. If they are booting in reverse you will get that same message.

Its usually that or a loose data or power cable or it could be a bad cd rom. If you can get your hands on another drive to install windows with if the other two suggestions dont fix.

That should do it.

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
I believe the OP has tried 3 different CD-rom drives. It would seam odd to me but perhaps the bios needs you to tell it to boot from an IDE CD-ROM drive and not a SATA drive. Just a guess but see if it helps.

kegs88

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Still not working.

Does it make sense that the CDROM is broken / too old considering I used it to install the motherboard/chipset software?

Are you using an IDE wire with 40 or 80 wires?
Jumper on master or cable select?
End or ribbon cable?
Like englandr75 3 said maybe cable is bad or IDE channel failed.
Check that all pins are there on the motherboard and CD-Rom.

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
The questions about the cable are great (and really important) I can't believe it took so long for someone to ask it (I didn't and feel a bit silly for it).

Definately check the cable and pins.

By end or ribbon I belive evongugg meant: Is the CD-ROM at the end of the cable or on the middle connector.

The jumper is very important as well, if your CD drive is not sharing the cable with another drive the jumper should be set to Master and the drive should be connected to the end of the cabel. The pink wire on the ribbon cabel should be on the same side as the power connection.

kegs88

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
The cable is 40 pin (IDE-ATA 133 HDD Cable)
DVDROM is set to Master (only drive)
There is a cable going from the power supply straight to the cdrom (just a 2 way connector).
There is no pink cable on the ide cable (so i got nfi)

i checked the cables and they seem to be plugged in correctly (IDE to the CDROM and to the Motherboard).

kegs88

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
my mate just picked it up and is going to do a 100 point test. Hopefully thatll solve the problem, any further advice is much appreciated tho!