So I've started playing Age of Conan. My video card is holding me back as I'm having to play the game on "Low" settings to get 28-32FPS. Graphics are STILL better than WoW, lol but I'd like to get better FPS and improve the image quality. ;)

Can't really afford to do it, but I'm thinking about splurging on a video card for Father's Day ;)

Looks like performance between the 9600 GT and 8800 GT aren't a huge difference. I've always liked the idea of going SLI but lets face it, I really can't afford two video cards right now. And by the time I can, it'll be time to upgrade again anyhow.

Using www.pricegrabber.com I've found a couple options.

Lowest price on 9600 GT is a PNY board for $142.

Can also find 9600GT of varying brands from $150-$169 with rebates between $10-$30 depending on e-tailer.

I can get an 8800 GT from Tiger Direct for $179 + shipping and a $30 MIR + a free copy of Company of Heroes (whatever).

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3427124&Sku=P450-8812&SRCCODE=PRICEGRABBER&CMP=OTC-PRICEGRABBER

Anyone have any suggestions from experience on whether I should go 9600 GT or 8800 GT? Pros & cons?

HPCE_Larry

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
The 8800GT is the better card, and with the MIR and the free game it sounds like a pretty good deal. If you want to save some money though, the 9600 is still a good card.

The GT and the old GTS 640 are roughly equal with a slight lead towards the GT. Your new GTS 512 is about the equal to the old GTX. Good call, I am sure you will not be disappointed with it.

Yeah good call. Way to pull the pin on that, you made a good call. All GTS's are pretty much the same. Same board, same cooler, different sticker. Everyone that ordered the ECS from Newegg seems to be happy with theirs, per the rating. It's a Terrific price and great rebate.

You will be very happy with it. Assuming the rest of your system is up to par.

Yeah my only concern is my PSU. It's only a 480W Antec True Power.

I use the onboard audio (as I personally can't tell the difference). Only 2 hard drives and 1 CD drive. No Floppy. 2 DDR dimms.

So there's not a lot of 'extra' pull. However, I am running a Q6600 (stock speed currently).

Looking at that list it looks most like this one, except mine is black in color.

TP-II 480PGB
http://www.antec.com/us/support_productInfo_details.php?ProdID=17481

All the other 480w power supplies on that list look different. I suppose at some point I can simply open my case and take a peek at the actual model #. The PSU came with my Antec case about 3 years ago. Been a champ thus far.

Someday it'll get replaced, but not until I can afford something really solid. Most of the PSU units out there I like for future uses are a pretty penny.

Thanks for your help by the way. :)

EDIT: I think this is my case:

Performance TX 1088 AMG with 480WTruePower 2.0 ATX 12V V2.0 TPII 480
http://www.antec.com/us/support_productInfo_details.php?ProdID=11051

Specs
http://www.antec.com/specs/TX1050B_1088AMG_spe.html

G

you could sli 2 8800 gs... it would give great performance... but the only limiting factor would be your resolution... if play over say... 1440 by 900 then get teh 8800 gt... but if you play at 1280 by 1024, 1440 by 900 get the sli 8800 GS... you can get 2 now for just under 200 bucks

Cool I'm glad my PSU will work. :)

thogrom, I already ordered an 8800GTS (G92). And my monitor maxes at 1440x900 which is where I always set it. It's 16:9.

:) Thanks for all the feedback guys. Can't wait for my new card to get here. Should be a crap-ton faster than my X1950.

You will be happy with that upgrade. I went from an X1900XTX OCed to all crap to the 8800GTS/512 And I was VERY pleased. I can run COD4 maxed everything at 1680x1050 so you should easily have no issues. My x1900 could handle mediumish settings with vsync on.

Your PSU is SOLID. You will probably have no need to upgrade it unless it fails or you decide to SLI. Everything going forward is going to start using shrunk dies and have conserving power in mind. So don't expect to need a hight output power supply for your run of the mill gaming PC. I hvae a 600W PSU that I plan to keep with my PC until I sell it off and rebuild.