Sign in with
Your question

how do you guys like firefox 3>?

Tags:
  • Firefox
  • Components
Last response: in Components
June 17, 2008 8:08:42 PM

i think it will take a bit to see if i really like it but so far i have no problems with it. quite nice, and pages do seem to be loading faster :) 

More about : guys firefox

June 17, 2008 8:20:26 PM

address bar is too big, doesn't have enough links in it. doesn't give a "scrolling" option for previously viewed sites.
Related resources
June 17, 2008 8:21:54 PM

Must admit I'm more of an Opera guy, they just released Opera 9.5 BTW
June 17, 2008 8:32:15 PM

firefox 3 is stupid fast.....
June 17, 2008 8:37:31 PM

sciggy said:
address bar is too big, doesn't have enough links in it. doesn't give a "scrolling" option for previously viewed sites.

If you type about:config into the address bar, you can change the maxRichResults setting to choose how many links you want the address bar to show. You can also look up the oldbar extension to get the smaller address bar back.
June 17, 2008 9:21:36 PM

justjc said:
Must admit I'm more of an Opera guy, they just released Opera 9.5 BTW

I agree! :D 
Opera 9.5 ftw.

I'll prolly grab Firefox 3 for my laptop, though, as Opera doesn't run well in linux.
June 17, 2008 9:36:58 PM

Opera really has problems with loading big forum threads and Images. + Firefox works faster. Firefox fTW :p 

IE FTW^2 :D 
June 17, 2008 9:41:50 PM

IE....does anyone use that anymore?
June 17, 2008 9:48:55 PM

It lost my bookmarks in the upgrade somehow(on XP), but i just grabbed them off vista. When i installed it on vista it lost nothing.

It looks clean and works well. The new download manager is cool.

So far so good.

I only have one complaint, it seems to not run Windows Live Mail, it forces classic mode, but i am sure that will be fixed.
June 17, 2008 10:01:28 PM

MooseMuffin said:
If you type about:config into the address bar, you can change the maxRichResults setting to choose how many links you want the address bar to show. You can also look up the oldbar extension to get the smaller address bar back.

ahhh much better now :)  thanks
June 17, 2008 10:09:59 PM

I've used Firefox 3 Release Counts 1-5 and both Betas, Its still takes too much memory. Great otherwise though.
June 17, 2008 10:13:03 PM

It's not bad, new interface is nicer graphically, Windows Hotmail does force classic for me too. Gmail works, and appears to load faster too. :) 
June 17, 2008 10:24:39 PM

SpinachEater said:
IE....does anyone use that anymore?

I still use it. I tried Firefox a while ago. I don't remember why, but I didn't really like it. So I deleted it. I'm downloading Firefox 3 right now though to see if I like it. I might switch over.

I don't really think Internet Explorer is really that bad though...

It's simple. Which I like. And I guess I'm just used to it.

But who knows. I guess I'll see in a few minutes after it's all installed and stuff.

EDIT: I just downloaded it. And I still like Internet Explorer better. I think Firefox is a little faster, but I don't mind waiting an extra half a second to view a webpage.

In firefox, I don't like that to open a new tab you have to go to File>new tab. I know it isn't really a big deal, but I'm used to just clicking the next tab as in IE. And furthermore, with IE I completely turn off the toolbar that has the File/Edit/View and stuff like that. I couldn't find a way to do that with Firefox. As I said, I like the simplicity. So I like as little as possible at the top of my browser. And I like that with in vista, with IE, the Aero feature or whatever goes around the whole top part of the browser, and it's a lot less with Firefox.

So pretty much I'm just sticking with IE because I think it looks better, and is easier to use, despite a slight lack in speed.

Plus the lack in speed doesn't really bother me at all, because I usually have multiple tabs open doing many things, so I'll click on something and then move to a different tab to do whatever. So my switching between tabs pretty much takes up the time that I'd be waiting.

And there may be ways to get around the things I don't like in Firefox, I don't know. But I just like IE better. I always thought Firefox was a little over rated among enthusiasts... it's almost like macs. It's the "hip" thing to have. I'm not trying to make any judgments, that's just what it feels like to me.
June 17, 2008 11:02:07 PM

I definately prefer Firefox just for the addons, currently have about 18 running :) 

There's no way i could go back to IE now becuase I just wouldn't be able to get it to do what Firefox does now. I like things to be really customisable and to give me lots of options so that I can do anything I want within a webpage... and firefox does that !

I've only used Firefox 3 for a bit now but it definately seems faster than v2 which is always nice :D 
June 18, 2008 12:26:49 AM

Has anyone else had a problem where FF3 is deleting logins even though you have it set not to delete private data? Every time I come back to the forum, I have to sign in.

Also, I still use IE for one reason only: Windows Updates.
June 18, 2008 12:47:42 AM

Yadge, there is an easier way to open a new tab. Just either middle click (clicking down the scroll wheel) on a link or middle click on the Home button.
June 18, 2008 1:11:55 AM

Well, compare to IE...what's not to like? However, one of my favorite add-ons (just for the coolness factor) ...Tab Effect, sadly doesn't work in 3. That's okay though...evolution must happen.
June 18, 2008 1:22:56 AM

linksolo74 said:
Yadge, there is an easier way to open a new tab. Just either middle click (clicking down the scroll wheel) on a link or middle click on the Home button.

I knew about the middle clicking on a link thing, but sometimes I need to open a new tab to go to a completely new site. But I didn't think about middle clicking the home page. That does make it a lot better for me. And I just realized that if you double click next to a tab, it'll open a new one. but you have to have two tabs already open.

I think I'll keep firefox for a while. I'll use both, and see which one I want to keep.

And I can't get Adobe Flash player to install.... anyone have any advice here? It tells me I need to close firefox before it installs, but then it keep telling me that even after I close it.

Also, if anyone knows if there is a way to hide the File/Edit/View/History toolbar, please let me know. If I could get that gone, it would be even less cluttered than IE, and I would definitely consider keeping.

EDIT: ok. So I got the Adobe to work. I didn't realize that I had to close the download manager. oops, lol.

I'm actually starting to like Firefox a lot more. It does seem to be quite a bit faster than IE...

Anyway, I guess Firefox has converted at least one more person to their side today.
June 18, 2008 1:52:50 AM

Anyone ever bothered to use crtl+t? That's how I open a new tab.

I'm waiting for the automatic update, which hasn't come out yet. Hopefully they'll fix the crashes I've been getting with one particular web service.

June 18, 2008 2:02:42 AM

I like the fire the best......hehehehe fire! fire!

June 18, 2008 2:04:09 AM

^ :pt1cable:  :lol: 
June 18, 2008 2:04:34 AM

Seems to crash more often than FireFox 2 did. On the SouthParkStudios.com it seems to have a lot of issues. But I noticed Explorer will crash on it too.
June 18, 2008 2:09:13 AM

I'm very happy with Firefox 3; I've been using it since RC1 with absolutely zero problems.

I've been using Firefox since version 1.0; I used 1.5 until well after Firefox 2.0 came out. Firefox 2 was the first time that FF ever crashed on me; it crashed quite often on Vista and semi-often on XP. The memory usage also got pretty out of hand, and loading pages felt quite slow after I tried Safari on Windows.

I'm very happy with Firefox 3; it loads pages fast, it renders pages properly (in my experience, IE and Opera have some issues rendering webpages), it's secure (I've never gotten a virus when using Firefox...), and the text looks good (Safari has massive text rendering issues on Windows...).

So, again, I'm very happy with Firefox 3 (how many times can I say this?)
June 18, 2008 2:14:10 AM

I've been using FF3 with Ubunto 8.04 for a while and see no really big difference besides some minor cosmetic changes...and like I mentioned, my beloved Tab Effect plug-in needs to be upgraded so I can have my cool flip-3D thinggymabob back.

I haven't had any crashes in Vista64 with FF3.
June 18, 2008 2:17:16 AM

Firefox 3 (at least the RCs) improved the memory leak issue, but it hasn't been fixed. I agree with halcyon on the speed, no difference. It just looks different and doesn't let me easily sort my bookmarks by name with the context menu.
June 18, 2008 2:20:45 AM

TBH, I can't see any burning reason to upgrade. ...but that's likely because I'm unaware of all the wonderful things they've done to it behind the scenes.
June 18, 2008 2:24:17 AM

Yadge, download the Tiny Menu Add-on, it turns the menu bar into one button, then right click the bar and hit customize. You can drag anything anywhere.
June 18, 2008 2:29:49 AM

By far the coolest feature is the Intelligent Zoom Feature

I have a 30" display with a reso of 2560x1600 and most browsers render sites that are difficult to read when one lounges back - thus making "browsing" an unpleasant experience.

However, the new Firefox 3 is a whole different story. The Zoom feature not only zooms in on the text but also the entire page proportionally.

This feature is so well developed that I can now sit around 5 feet away on my bed and read Tomshardware on a Maximized Firefox 3 browser window with the text clear visible from far (ctrl and + atleast 10 times I think) - Of course some pixelation is unavaoidable for low-res images but who cares :) 

Thank you Mozilla - You Guys Rock!
June 18, 2008 5:41:21 AM

Firefox 3, good release, hopefully not a lot of bugs, like the post above, really like the zoom feature.
June 18, 2008 5:52:30 AM

im loving it. really neat. :) 
June 18, 2008 5:56:41 AM

Grimble_Crumble said:
Yadge, download the Tiny Menu Add-on, it turns the menu bar into one button, then right click the bar and hit customize. You can drag anything anywhere.

Hey, that works pretty good. I like the Tiny Menu. And I did go to customize before, but I didn't realize that you were supposed to drag and drop. the only thing is, it won't let me drag the Menu....

But anyway, I think it looks way better now, thanks. this is cool.

EDIT: Awesome! I found this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4762

Just what I was looking for. Now I only have one row of stuff, and then the tabs underneath. It's pretty nice. It's even less than I had in IE. I guess I just needed to mess around with Firefox for a while to see how to customize it. This is cool.
June 18, 2008 6:07:02 AM

I absolutely love Firefox 3. So many improvements to Firefox 2 and the speed increase is extremely noticeable. I'm extremely pleased with it through the first few hours of using it. They really did a nice job with this one and I really feel this release as well as the release of Opera 9.5 spells the demise of Internet Explorer.

Granted there are millions of uninformed users worldwide who still believe that IE is the best or only thing out there...that and being pre-installed on Windows OS' helps...but like Michael Jackson says..."that's just ignorant!"
June 18, 2008 6:25:04 AM

How is this noticeably faster? I thought it was at first, but realised that was a one-off and it's just as slow/fast (whatever you consider it to be) as before.
June 18, 2008 6:49:29 AM

ya im beginning to see that its basically the same speed as before. i dont really notice a change.

but if they tell me its more safe then it is o_O
June 18, 2008 12:00:55 PM

I guess I haven't been keeping pace with browser news...didn't realize that FF2 was notably unsafe.
June 18, 2008 1:14:37 PM

I LOVE firefox 3 ... the new download manager is great! And though not by very much, it does run faster. The new bookmarking options and linkbar is swell. Cheers mozilla.
June 18, 2008 2:17:34 PM

So far nice and dandy. Was using a RC here at work, but i downloaded a new one. Same at home. Seems faster, some addons still need to be updated, but hey its cool. Im kinda biased because i don't use IE for several years now. Used opera, didn't liked much, so i kept Firefox.
June 19, 2008 1:23:25 AM

I'm just glad you can disable the pointless virus scanner they added.
June 19, 2008 2:06:11 AM

yea, that's definitely a plus.
June 19, 2008 2:07:36 AM

where do i disable the virus scanner?
June 19, 2008 2:11:12 AM

Type about:config into the address bar and you'll get a nice popup telling you that "Here be dragons". Just continue and search in the list for:

browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone

Change it's boolean value to false. You can't actually search for it, but the list is in alphabetical order :) 
June 19, 2008 2:28:30 PM

FF3 crashes, esp. when downloading files, whether video or even pdf files. I've had more crashes in two days than two years with FF2. I'm sure Micro$oft is enjoying all those reports of crashes going to them.

That said, it IS better than FF2, except for the crashes. Wish more add-ons were already updated for FF3.
!