To replace or not to replace

arnet

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
So a couple months back I upgraded from a 939 board/cpu/7600gt GPU to a Asus M2N-E MB and a MSI GeForce 8600 GTS OC.
Shortly after installing everything and getting it running the PC began freezing at random times and required a reboot (no entries in the event viewer). Thinking it was a MB or PSU problem I got a Gigabyte MA770-DS3 MB and a OCZ PSU and guess what...still freezes. I am either gonna buy
8800gs
8800gt- MSI
8800gt- BFG

Anyone know what the problem might be with the freezes or which new card would you recommend? Bang/buck wise.

Thanks in advance.

Night-Stalker

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
8800 GT BFG will probably be the Bang for the Buck right now. You might be able to find some below $200. I personally have a EVGA one and it performs very well.

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
8800 GTS 512 evga is a dandy i'm told.

E-vga has a step up program, so if you're not happy with the card you can mail it away for a trade in at a split difference cost as long as you keep your receipts.

I'm using 8800 GT SLI, I had started with a single 8800 GT and I was pretty happy with it but I upgrading to dual 8800 GT so I could play crysis with eye candy :p

BTW:

Test your ram, its quite possible that is the problem. A lot of higher end boards you need to manually set your ram timings/voltages amongst other things. Make sure your bios has the same settings as what your ram manufacturer is supplying.

Not withstanding the fact that ram is a very sensitive component and one of the more common causes for system stability. Memtest is a good program~

What are your Temps? CPU and GPU? Does it freeze during certain activity, games,apps, or just sitting idle?

But if you are in the market for a new card get an 8800GTS/512 or a dual slot cooled 8800GT. That is saying you are looking at a gaming card. Otherwise it would be a waste.