small htpc to ... beastly mozart tx aluminum

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
any thoughts on this vending machine of an htpc case? anyone own it? i'm always looking for something different and if i can't get a more traditional htpc case to work with my zalman 1000W and my gtx 280 ftw, then maybe this will be a show stopper all in it's own right.

anyone have any experience with it?

thanks.

I have had the Mozart TX for about a year. With it's eleven 120mm fans, It's the coolest running case I have built to date, but you need a fork lift to move it around. Would not recommend unless you are a weightlifter. I plan to switch cases soon. Will miss the cooling the TX offers though.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
two more questions i've been wondering about if you have the time too.

1. does this have a small vfd (?) display on the top left for time etc. that comes with the model (separate from the 5.25" drive bay version you can add as an extra)?

2. did you immediately have to buy extra cabling (sata etc.) to put the build together, or is the size not a problem as fas as wiring goes? i'm trying to get a build together by the 5th of july for a lan party i'm hosting and i'd hate to get everything i needed to my house and then find my cables aren't long enough and i can't join in on the fun at my own house.

thanks again.

1. No. I installed the media lab remote control. There is also a 7" Thermaltake LCD made for this case, costs more than a 19" widescreen.

2. You will need very long sata cables. This case is not for Lan parties. It's heavy. I had to sit my desk on blocks to fit it under the desk. Seriously, the thing weighs over 50lbs. Maybe more than that. You will not be wanting to transport this anywhere.

halcyon

Splendid

I must admit, that yes, I do own a Thermaltake Mozart TX case. It sits in a corner used as a table.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
badge, thanks for all of the help. i was thinking of getting the silver version of the vfd for the 5.25" bay as well. i think only $80 through radio shack and i'll just have it sent to a local store (if i get this case).

if the case weighed half as much (aluminum version compared to the steel version) would it be manageable for four or five lan parties a year? (i'm going to be hauling an xhd3000 along as it is so it won't be an easy carry no matter what case i get).

halcyon

Splendid
Oh, its not that I wouldn't recommend it. When I got it I remember how neat I thought its hugeness was. I replaced ALL the fans with Scythe S-SFLEX SFF-D 800RPM fans. ...but its hugeness got kind of old, and my Raptors vibrated the hell out of it, even with the anti-vibration mounts.

If you just want something really big, then I'd say go for it. ...but don't let all of the fans fool you, its not an ultra cool (temperature-wise) case.