Sign in with
Your question

New System - recommendation on case

Last response: in Systems
May 13, 2008 4:08:21 PM

I'm building a new system. I'd be happy to hear any opinions on my components, but I already ordered them. My current system wont boot and I need it for work. So I went ahead and ordered what I thought would be a decent system for my needs. I might be putting my new system in my existing case or I might put it in a new case. That all depends on whether the new PSU fixes the current problem. I'd be interested in any recommendations for a case.

I dont game. I use my PC mostly for programming in Visual Studio, office applications, some light graphic design, some video and music. I'm going to be running XP Professional 32 bit. I might upgrade to Vista after I get this new rig running and catch up on my work.

New System:

OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI 600W ATX12V
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz
GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R
Crucial Ballistix 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM (2 sticks)
MSI NX8500GT-TD256E OC GeForce 8500GT
Pioneer 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model

I'd be using a 150GB WD Raptor from my existing system and a 320GB WD Caviar. I might add another CD/DVD later but dont imagine I'll be adding much else inside the case.

For a case I'd like to spend up to $100 or so. I dont necessarily want a plain case, but I wouldn't mind something with a little style if black is stylish. I dont really want a case with colorful leds or anything. The most important thing is decent cooling (a couple 120mm fans would be good), ease of installing drives, front USB and audio, and enough space (I have big clumsy hands).

I want the USB, power buttons and audio to be on the top. But I prefer it to be on the top front as this system will be on the floor. My current case has those on the top and they get dusty. I dont really like or need a door.

Anyway, any thoughts on my already ordered components or suggestions for a case would be appreciated.
May 13, 2008 4:32:06 PM

I would personally go for a Cooler Master RC690. You won't find better cooling for less than $100, and the peripheral inputs are on top.
May 14, 2008 11:59:25 AM

While the cm690 is a very good budget case with more than sufficient cooling for even extreme overclocking, I wouldn't pay $100 for it. :)  $70 tops.

You should've picked out the Sonate III with quality Earthwatts 500W that can do 8800gts.

FWIW, your selection is pretty decent.
May 14, 2008 12:25:21 PM

YUP! I have one cm690 too....
The reasons, why I have bought it :
1. It can hold up to 8 fans (3 are included).
2. It looks soooo coooollll.
3. You won't find better cooling for under $100. (this is very important)
4. USB, headphone, microphone output are on top. Only the power and reset button are on the front.
5. Good lay out, with psu underneath not on the upperside.
6. More than enough room for your HDDs, and other drives and even for your SLI/crossfire.
7. Cable management layout.
8. It is made of good material and good manufactured.
9. It is also very silent even with 3 fans.

My last computer was built with Antec Sonata II.This was very good but I like my new Coolermaster cm690 better.
!