azy

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004

Hi, I already have 2 desktop pc's that have winxp home edition. they are
about 2 1/2 years old. One I use at my work, one at my home. ANyways, I am
looking into getting my teen her own pc. I will try to be careful because I
want to get one 2nd hand. I want one that is about 2-3 years old as well. If
I am lucky enough to find one in good shape, good price too, whether at a
yard sale, or an aquaintance sells it to us, I need to know a few things.
1) I don't care nor do I want any information that the previous owner had on
the former pc. What can I do to erase, clean out, etc. all the old
information on that pc.
2) how can I know what came with windows so as to NOT delete those
files/programs/software/etc.
what else can you recommend that a not so experienced person (me) can do? I
guess this info will be good to know also, in the event that I ever give
away or sell a pc. I will want to erase any thing before I hand it down.
thanks for your help

"Azy" <mr@mr.com> wrote:

>Hi, I already have 2 desktop pc's that have winxp home edition. they are
>about 2 1/2 years old. One I use at my work, one at my home. ANyways, I am
>looking into getting my teen her own pc. I will try to be careful because I
>want to get one 2nd hand. I want one that is about 2-3 years old as well. If
>I am lucky enough to find one in good shape, good price too, whether at a
>yard sale, or an aquaintance sells it to us, I need to know a few things.
>1) I don't care nor do I want any information that the previous owner had on
>the former pc. What can I do to erase, clean out, etc. all the old
>information on that pc.
>2) how can I know what came with windows so as to NOT delete those
>files/programs/software/etc.
>what else can you recommend that a not so experienced person (me) can do? I
>guess this info will be good to know also, in the event that I ever give
>away or sell a pc. I will want to erase any thing before I hand it down.
>thanks for your help

One big concern would be ensuring that you have a legitimate license
for Windows XP on that used PC. That means it must come with both the
original Windows installation CD and the original Certificate of
Authenticity with the product key for Windows XP. Note that if the
used PC has an OEM version of Windows XP then the product key should
be on a factory printed sticker that is affixed to the computer case.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

What came/comes on it would really be of no concern unless it's an oem
copy of xp,anything else wont transfer to you,1 license of xp per customer
per
computer.All this means is purchasing the computer for its hardware,you will
need to purchase a copy of xp for the computer,if buying an xp upgrade copy,
you'll need a past windows os cd to upgrade,those are transferable.

"Azy" wrote:

> Hi, I already have 2 desktop pc's that have winxp home edition. they are
> about 2 1/2 years old. One I use at my work, one at my home. ANyways, I am
> looking into getting my teen her own pc. I will try to be careful because I
> want to get one 2nd hand. I want one that is about 2-3 years old as well. If
> I am lucky enough to find one in good shape, good price too, whether at a
> yard sale, or an aquaintance sells it to us, I need to know a few things.
> 1) I don't care nor do I want any information that the previous owner had on
> the former pc. What can I do to erase, clean out, etc. all the old
> information on that pc.
> 2) how can I know what came with windows so as to NOT delete those
> files/programs/software/etc.
> what else can you recommend that a not so experienced person (me) can do? I
> guess this info will be good to know also, in the event that I ever give
> away or sell a pc. I will want to erase any thing before I hand it down.
> thanks for your help

azy

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004

Hmmm. I was going to add this question also to my original post; but forgot.
Thanks that u brought it up. Let me see if I understand this correctly. If I
get a used pc and the people that sell it to me do NOT have the CD that
comes with windows xp (OEM type), I should not buy the pc. &/OR if the
people do not have the CD that they purchased separetly & instlaled it
themselves, I should NOT buy it either?? Only buy it if they have the CD?
(which most people sell as is & quite possibly do not have the software of
the programs for sale-they keep them)
Lets assume that I buy the pc with xp in it already(OEM type)- Need I go
online and transfer there?? Is there a correct way to do this? How? WHat
about cost? Is it expensive? thanks for your quick response to both of you.

Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote in message
> What came/comes on it would really be of no concern unless it's an oem
> copy of xp,anything else wont transfer to you,1 license of xp per
customer
> per
> computer.All this means is purchasing the computer for its hardware,you
will
> need to purchase a copy of xp for the computer,if buying an xp upgrade
copy,
> you'll need a past windows os cd to upgrade,those are transferable.
>
> "Azy" wrote:
>
> > Hi, I already have 2 desktop pc's that have winxp home edition. they are
> > about 2 1/2 years old. One I use at my work, one at my home. ANyways, I
am
> > looking into getting my teen her own pc. I will try to be careful
because I
> > want to get one 2nd hand. I want one that is about 2-3 years old as
well. If
> > I am lucky enough to find one in good shape, good price too, whether at
> > yard sale, or an aquaintance sells it to us, I need to know a few
things.
> > 1) I don't care nor do I want any information that the previous owner
had on
> > the former pc. What can I do to erase, clean out, etc. all the old
> > information on that pc.
> > 2) how can I know what came with windows so as to NOT delete those
> > files/programs/software/etc.
> > what else can you recommend that a not so experienced person (me) can
do? I
> > guess this info will be good to know also, in the event that I ever give
> > away or sell a pc. I will want to erase any thing before I hand it down.
> > thanks for your help

To securely 'erase' old data try 'eraser' from:

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/default.php

In simple terms, licenses are tied to either a 'certificate of
authenticity' or a '(cd) key'. The 'certificate of authenticity' or '(cd)
key' is your proof of legitimate license ownership. In spite of this, many
programs use the install disks as proof of purchase when doing upgrades. If
you receive the 'certificate's' or 'key's' with the PC you are almost
golden. What this means to you is that you want both the 'certificate of
authenticity' or a '(cd) key' and the assoicated disks for the software you
get with the PC. Keep in mind that you will want any applicable disks
(cd's, floppies, etc.) for the operating system, system recovery, and
applications you are getting, incase you ever have to re-
install/repair/upgrade. A 2-3year old OEM PC should have some 'system
recovery' and/or 'applications recovery' disks, possibly an OEM operating
system disk, and some application disks. You do not need to contact
microsoft or the manuifacturer to transfer the licenses. Transfer occurrs
when you get the legitimate cd-key and/or certificate. By the way, any cd-
keys should be on the cd jewel case or envelope, not squibbled on a piece
of scratch paper. Microsoft operating system disks have holograms on them,
look for these holograms. If you get an OEM operating system disk be sure
it is for the PC you are getting. Don't accept a Dell disk for an HP PC.
This will not work and the license probably will not transfer. Dell OEM
licenses are for Dell PC's only and so forth.

Good Luck

Azy wrote:
> Hi, I already have 2 desktop pc's that have winxp home edition. they are
> about 2 1/2 years old. One I use at my work, one at my home. ANyways, I am
> looking into getting my teen her own pc. I will try to be careful because I
> want to get one 2nd hand. I want one that is about 2-3 years old as well. If
> I am lucky enough to find one in good shape, good price too, whether at a
> yard sale, or an aquaintance sells it to us, I need to know a few things.
> 1) I don't care nor do I want any information that the previous owner had on
> the former pc. What can I do to erase, clean out, etc. all the old
> information on that pc.

With second-hand computers, especially if acquired from strangers but
perhaps even if acquired from a family member or friend, your wisest
course of action would probably be to format the hard drives and start
fresh. You don't want to get in trouble because the original owner may
have filled the hard drive with kiddie porn, or have problems because
the original owner downloaded/installed viruses or other malware.

> 2) how can I know what came with windows so as to NOT delete those
> files/programs/software/etc.

No extra applications come with Windows. The only applications you'd
be entitled (licensed, actually) to used are those which are
specifically included in the sale of the computer, and for which the
seller gives you all installation media, Product/Registration Keys, and
documentation.

> what else can you recommend that a not so experienced person (me) can do? I
> guess this info will be good to know also, in the event that I ever give
> away or sell a pc. I will want to erase any thing before I hand it down.

To protect your personal information and data from any future users
of average skills, you should, at the very least, format the hard drive
and reinstall only the OS and those applications whose licenses are to
be included in the transfer. If you wish to do a more thorough job of
protecting your personal data, WipeDrive 2.2.1
(http://www.accessdata.com/Product07_Overview.htm?ProductNum=07) meets
U.S. DoD standards for securely cleaning surplus unclassified hard
drives, and could be used before formatting and reinstalling the OS and
applications.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Azy wrote:
> Hmmm. I was going to add this question also to my original post; but forgot.
> Thanks that u brought it up. Let me see if I understand this correctly. If I
> get a used pc and the people that sell it to me do NOT have the CD that
> comes with windows xp (OEM type), I should not buy the pc.

That's not necessarily always the case. Many uncaring, low-end,
bargain-basement OEMs, such as Compaq, HP, and Sony, in an effort to
save pennies and reduce their support costs by having to hire support
people that can only say "Boot from the Recovery CD to return your PC to
its original condition," provide only a "recovery" partition on the hard
drive, from which the computer owner is expected to make his own CDs.
If you're thinking of purchasing one of these low-quality machines,
ensure that the recovery partition is still intact, and that the seller
has all of the remaining document, including the instructions for
recovering the OS.

Reputable, customer-service aware OEMs, like Dell and Gateway, who also
- unsurprisingly - provide a higher quality product, do provide a full
OEM installation CD, that does permit custom installations and repairs.

> &/OR if the
> people do not have the CD that they purchased separetly & instlaled it
> themselves, I should NOT buy it either??

Again, the answer is: "It depends." If there is a retail license
involved, and if the sale of the computer is supposed to include the OS
and application, then you must also be given all of the installation
CDs, Product Keys, and documentation. If, however, the sale pertains
only to the physical hardware, you'll need to separately purchase your
own OS and software licenses.

> Only buy it if they have the CD?
> (which most people sell as is & quite possibly do not have the software of
> the programs for sale-they keep them)

Then you would need to purchase your own OS and software licenses for
your use on that computer.

> Lets assume that I buy the pc with xp in it already(OEM type)- Need I go
> online and transfer there?? Is there a correct way to do this? How? WHat
> about cost? Is it expensive?

No, there's nothing that need be done, along this line.

Oh, one other thing: To help ensure that you are making a legitimate
purchase of an installed OS, make sure that the seller provides you with
a working password for the built-in Administrator account. The
computer's legitimate owner will know this, the seller of a stolen
computer most likely will not, unless he's gone to the additional
trouble of cracking the password. If the seller doesn't know the
password, and doesn't have a reasonable ("I forgot it" and/or "I never
knew that there was one" are not reasonable. "The computer belonged to
a deceased family member who didn't pass on the information" is
reasonable.) excuse for not knowing it, you should, at the very least,
check with local law enforcement authorities to see if that particular
computer, by serial number, has been reported stolen.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Azy

There is no problem in buying the computer.. that is the easy part.. as for
software included, you can then run into problems..

If the computer is supplied with its original recovery media, one can just
do a clean install using the key supplied with the machine.. any software
originally installed other than the OS may or may not have recovery media..
if not, then that is a lost cause..

As long as you know what the machine is, and the original vendor has driver
support for the OS on a website, you can buy your own version of Windows and
install that in place of any former recovery process..

The majority of computers sold for home use come supplied with XP Home..
there are people who feel that they get something better if the upgrade to
XP Pro, but in the majority of cases, there is a good chance that, if XP Pro
is installed, it is a pirated 'Corporate' version..

Erasure of data is easy enough.. a re-format will take care of anything..
that is not to say that old data previously on the drive is not there
anymore.. it can be recovered (with varying results).. the thing here is not
to get too paranoiac about it.. data recovery is a specialized task
requiring specialized software.. one can't just start up Wordpad and then
use the 'open' function to magically call back somebody else's documents or
pictures..

Caveat Emptor.. buyer beware.. if you buy a second hand computer, try to
ensure that you get the original software media.. this applies especially to
laptops where, without the original media, you more or less out of luck
completely.. if in the case of a desktop machine, the original media is not
available, be prepared to take a financial hit at the first problem you have
with whatever was installed..

When buying a computer privately, you are doing just that unless you have
original software media included in the sale.. one can only charge for
software if recovery media is made available to you at the time of
purchase.. it matters not what other software is installed on the hard
drive.. if the original media CD is not supplied, then anything installed on
the hard drive is worth jack or less..

Good luck

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

In article <#vSuBh8nFHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, mr@mr.com says...
> Hi, I already have 2 desktop pc's that have winxp home edition. they are
> about 2 1/2 years old. One I use at my work, one at my home. ANyways, I am
> looking into getting my teen her own pc. I will try to be careful because I
> want to get one 2nd hand. I want one that is about 2-3 years old as well. If
> I am lucky enough to find one in good shape, good price too, whether at a
> yard sale, or an aquaintance sells it to us, I need to know a few things.
> 1) I don't care nor do I want any information that the previous owner had on
> the former pc. What can I do to erase, clean out, etc. all the old
> information on that pc.

Good, since anytime you get an unknown PC from anyone you want to wipe
it and reinstall everything from scratch - if you don't there is no
telling what bad things could be on the machine. Heck, they could have
installed a key logger and have it report to them each evening.

> 2) how can I know what came with windows so as to NOT delete those
> files/programs/software/etc.
> what else can you recommend that a not so experienced person (me) can do? I
> guess this info will be good to know also, in the event that I ever give
> away or sell a pc. I will want to erase any thing before I hand it down.
> thanks for your help

You need to ensure that you get the Windows installation CD with the
pretty sticker that shows the groups of 5 digit registration/activation
numbers so that you can reinstall.

You need to get any drivers CD that came with the PC.

You need to get a formal bill of sale.

You need to format and reinstall before you connect it to your home
network.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 23:32:31 -0700, Andrew E. wrote:

> What came/comes on it would really be of no concern unless it's an oem
> copy of xp,anything else wont transfer to you,1 license of xp per customer
> per
> computer.

The EULA for the retail copy of XP allows transfer with the original
install media and key needed to install it.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

johnf

As an add-on,
My opinion that if it's supplied with the original full CD + serial no., or
an OEM CD with the no. attached to the case, they should (hopefully) be OK?

--

johnf

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:03:14 +1000, johnf wrote:

> As an add-on,
> My opinion that if it's supplied with the original full CD + serial no., or
> an OEM CD with the no. attached to the case, they should (hopefully) be OK?

That's my opinion too, johnf.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User