All Aboard the Failcopter: Don't use Ruiz in your Advertising

http://breakfree.amd.com/slicedbread/?cmp=kac-bfreecmbread&cr=FBL&pub=google&cat=Intel

I saw this when clicking an advert at a different site (a site that promotes CPUs of the extreme variety).

HOW LAME!

AMD can't say "we're the fastest", or "we're the best price/performance ratio" or "we're the lower power choice". So now they're marketing department is in overdrive grasping at straws. Sorry, but that's just LAME!

"Competition Matters"
"More Choice"
"For nearly 50 years the AT&T monopoly only offer (sic) one model of telephone" <--- He can't even speak proper English in their own commercial
"Why does 80% of the world still lack basics (sic) access to the Internet?"
"At AMD, we innovate for our customers"
"We're (AMD) not perfect, but we're a force that pushes the marketplace"

L A M E !

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
You're not reading the underlying message man....;)

All these just to say one thing:

AMD tries the hardest.

1531_fail.jpg

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
This is the very best thing i have seen in a very, very long time. It's way past 3 in the night and i can't sop laughing after watching that sorry infomercial.

I can only guess that this is the punishment the AMD stockholders demanded after AMDs repeated failures to launch their various products. I can almost envision the raging mob standing at Mr. Ruiz' doorstep, demanding a public lashing, hanging or, well, that sorry testament of desparation. Should've picked the lashing. Repent, Hector! Repent!

The whole AT&T reference is brilliant and a nice hint for the raging stockholders to what is going to happen once Hector ruinz the next few product launches. AMD will get bought, split and sold apiece. To further the competition.

I really expected to see a bank account number at the end of that spot and hearing a soft female voice saying "open for donations. Think of the children."

There is not really a word describing how bad this is. I usually have no problem with AMD, apart from them constantly messing up launches, but this really sets a new record and makes AMD actually the leader of horrible advertisment.
This is actually the moment of truth for the personell manager to pick up the red phone, whip out his black-uniformed Shocktroops and purge the whole marketing department for letting this happen. Once they are at it they should do their best to get to Hectortubby before he does another one of these or some charity hires him as their sorry looking catastrophy mascot.

Pathetic. That's the word i was looking for. Not quite strong enough, but it conveys the message. This video will haunt me for the rest of my life, running around as some nut-case with a 1000 yard stare and a wicked giggle going on. Whew.

royalcrown

Distinguished

Wow...you need more in your life if it's that disturbing to you, pathetic sure, but it won't haunt me...go outside today or get laid or something...you need a break from the computer .. :p

Not half as pathetic as Ruiz.

ACTUAL QUOTE FROM VIDEO: "We're (AMD) not perfect, but we're a force that pushes the marketplace"

WHAAA! WHAAA! We're not perfect, but we sure do try damn hard!

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
:ouch: Wow. Just.... WOW. Who in AMD could have sanctioned this crap? As if the lame quotes weren''t enough, did you notice that almost a full 50% of the video discussed AT&T? Did you notice the profound absense of the AMD logo? How many times did he actually mention his company's name? The only saving grace, and not much of one at that, was that the video was hosted on an AMD site.

What I got out of the video:
■He displayed very little enthusiasm or pride in his company. His complete lack of stage presense only componded the problem.
■He seemed to be trying to sell the idea that breaking up a giant is a good thing. And he did a miserable job at selling the point.

This is something that should NEVER had gotten past the marketing department. Unless of course they don't have much of a marketing department (Marketing never seemed to be one of AMD's best disciplines). Or even worse, their CEO out is of control and acted without the blessing and/or knowledge of his marketing department. Again... WOW. :ouch:

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
How about ineptitude.

JDocs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
I... ummm.... I still can't believe it...

The pot shots at AT&T make it look like he wanted to say taking Intel appart would be a good idea but was to afraid to...

Edit: And what does the choice generated by competition matter if the choices available suck so badly you don't want to choose them?

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Somehow I think Hector's sarcasm will kill us all...

Somehow I think that I could create a better video... aiming at the HTPC market... something that AMD actually excels at... not to mention energy efficiency...

Alas I shalln't make a video...

Last time I checked wasn't Intel the one doing most of the pushing... I mean like without the Core 2... dual-core Sempron being mainstream high-end...

Spend your money on 45nm and etc. not marketing...

AMD used to have the best marketing. It had nothing to do with advertisements, videos, or marketing dollars. It was a rock solid product (that was superior to Intel's products) that a group of hardware enthusiasts swore by.

They don't have that anymore.

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Well, like its said, there is not such thing as bad publicity.

Although this case i would have better suggestions than to use dollars like that.
Really. Promoting Geode ? Promoting the 9100e ? The X2 4850e ? Anything. Really.
Promoting PUMA, FUSION,KUMA(RIP), Bulldozer , Phenom (why not) X3 or X4, promoting bang per buck ?
Good god. They are low on motivation. really.

But..really.

@amdfangirl: no no, no wiki fer ya !!!

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
:heink: <-watched the video...

:cry:. o O (why didn't Intel think of that...)

(We're doom.. doooomed, the Intel Wagon is falling apart!! Somebody plz he.... ouch)O o . [:datmanii:4]

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
I was speaking mostly from the fact that I can't recall encountering much of AMD's marketing efforts out in the field, though as you say a big marketing push probably wasn't necessary - it's been said that a good product can sell itself (to a degree). In my mind, a good marketing department is one that has the muscle and/or talent to manufacture success (netburst comes to mind). I've never seen that in AMD, but then that's just a personal perception.

Paul liked it ... he was very pleased.

TC has no memory of the semiconductor industry to speak of because he is still wet behind the ears (under 25).

AMD has never had a decent marketing Department.

They still don't really have one ... just a few print based people and a couple of spinners.

Nothing of significance.

Their PR Department (if they had one) would never have condoned Hector speaking.

It made me think of La Bamba ... poor Mexican kid makes good.

That doesn't give me much confidence though.

Didn't he die in a plane crash in the end?

Hector does play guitar ...

*fits parachute harness to all home PC's ... just to make sure*

Vertigon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
For me AMD and Apple have been like the two retarded kids in the neighbourhood, everyone always supporting them because they felt sorry for them. I never bought either product, but what I'm wondering is do they actually pose competition to Intel or simply allow some people to be totally ripped off?
I don't like the idea of Intel being able to charge what they want, so perhaps AMD need to band with someone else to actually aid the market in some way.

If it ever gets tothe point where all we get is a Princess phone, then say bu bye to Intel as we know it. This unfortunately is the current situation, the CEO talking monopoly. If I were Intel, Id be a little nervous, unless they go completely to China and can except tarrif fees, a monopoly will harm them, and this is no joke. We need AMD, and so does Intel. No modern western government will accept a monopoly

Don't sell me short! My birthday was last week and I'm now 25!

My point was that the best marketing AMD ever had was a great product, which turned people like me and Reynod into walking AMD advertisements. I used to recommend AMD to all my friends because they had faster products, at a lower price, and most of the time using less energy.

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

I still recommend AMD to Most my friends. AMD doesnt hold the flagship CPU now, nor the best overclocker. But price point, they are still dam good. Its great to make AMD machines because you save money on the CPU, to buy a better GPU or a bigger HDD. Although i am an enthusiast like most of the people that storm this forums, for most people it is silly, to waste more than 200$/€ in a CPU.

As for me that is my price/point. Would i SLI/Crossfire ? I intend to do it in my next build. Will i spend more than 200/250 €/$ on my CPU ? Lol, no way. Will i over clock ? Maybe a bit, maybe ill tinker, maybe ill run stock. My buying cycle is getting big as the years go by, and i don't overhaul my rig every year now. More like every 3 years.

AMD still wins in a value section. The money still is there. See the number of shipped board with different chipsets. See Value vs performance chipsets.

Your bashing AMD (like bashing Nvidia atm) just for the sake of it. Hey something god flawless, other go flop. Take it easy. Discuss the products, compare, take an educated guess. This is CPUs we are talking.
These are not beer brands, that have the same formula, same taste, same color, in your lifetime !!

These are CPUs !!! The shift change yearly, its normal !!

I am a Fan, but im hardly Fanatic. (Pun intented...ok..bad pun)

You do know that Intel also sells processors at the low end as well, right? Most of which have similiar, if not better price\performance, but with one distinct difference, most OC like a mother-bleeper. (If you're into OCing).

Still doesn't change the fact that the advertisement in the original post sucks donkey-bleep.