Sign in with
Your question

interesting: Vantage results for GTX 280, 260, Radeon HD 4870 and 4850

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 29, 2008 1:39:59 PM

Quote from article: "These are of course in no way official and we can't say for certain where they come from. The only thing we know is that the numbers are not unreasonable........"

http://www.nordichardware.com/news,7809.html

OK everyone, I just came across this over at NordicHardware and figured I'd share it with you all. I actually think this may be good for ATI (if the benchies are true that is). First of all, this is just another 3Dmark score comparison :pfff:  (and we don't know if real gameplay will offer better performance to the ATI cards); second, as mentioned in the article, ATI's cards should improve with newer and better drivers; and thirdly, the 4870X2 is not included in the comparison.

Given that it is pretty much two 4870s in Crossfire (and I've read that it may be more than that, and that scaling should be largely improved over the previous generation), and assuming that with newer drivers it could see something like 80% scaling (in 3Dmark at least ;)  ), that would yield a score of ~4600-4700 (which beats the GTX 280s score of ~41xx).

Or just forget about all these assumptions and simply realize that if the 4870X2 gets more than about 63% scaling, it will outperform the GTX 280 (again, in 3dmark Vantage).

This will be an interesting summer to say the least........
May 29, 2008 1:51:23 PM

Yea I can't wait for these bitches to come out so we can see some real benchmarks. The anticipation is kickin my ass... does that make me a geek? lol

--Arson94
May 29, 2008 2:04:13 PM

What i want to see are gtx 280 sli results....
Related resources
May 29, 2008 2:12:07 PM

What I want is to play Crysis on an IGP.
May 29, 2008 3:08:55 PM

arson94 said:
Yea I can't wait for these bitches to come out so we can see some real benchmarks. The anticipation is kickin my ass... does that make me a geek? lol

--Arson94

^Yes! :D 
May 29, 2008 3:40:23 PM

rodney_ws said:

You can already play Crisis on Low settings on ati 780G :bounce: 
May 29, 2008 5:58:44 PM

If these numbers are valid and if they are taken with the DDR4 version of 4870XT then I think 4870 will be a killer (supposing even drivers are not the best at the moment for sure) :) 
May 29, 2008 6:13:03 PM

wrazor said:
You can already play Crisis on Low settings on ati 780G :bounce: 

You know what I meant!
May 29, 2008 6:39:41 PM

What are the expected price ranges on the X280 and 260?
May 29, 2008 6:41:25 PM

evll_panda said:
What are the expected price ranges on the X280 and 260?

The GTX 280 is supposed to be $600, while the GTX 260 is around $450 I think.
May 29, 2008 6:42:59 PM

I want to see the next game that brings these cards to their knees.
May 29, 2008 6:48:35 PM

Damn lol I will have to wait a bit on those then. I just bought my 8800 GTS 10 mo ago along with the rest of my setup and the wife about freaked so gotta give her a grace period before i make another big purchase lol
May 29, 2008 7:00:07 PM

Here are again, looking at more numbers based on assumptions, relayed by sites of dubious reliability, on cards that are not out nor have finished drivers. Once more into fantasy land, where you can find whatever you're looking for, if you search long enough. :pt1cable: 

I don't know about others, but I'll wait until real cards come out, with real benches, done by reputable sites. Then, adn only then, will I decide which card to buy, or even if its worth buying a new card.
May 29, 2008 7:00:57 PM

evll_panda said:
Damn lol I will have to wait a bit on those then. I just bought my 8800 GTS 10 mo ago along with the rest of my setup and the wife about freaked so gotta give her a grace period before i make another big purchase lol

I always (in a nice way) bring up how much mine spends on getting her nails and hair done every month. Usually makes it a little easier to justify a purchase to her ;) 
May 29, 2008 7:19:02 PM

Lol well I just bought a new laptop 2 mo ago. And I am going to spend 1200 on a Five-Seven Pistol from FNH and a fingerprint safe for it so i dont think i can justify it.
May 29, 2008 7:22:27 PM

Okay, that makes sense! Protective firearms are more important than video cards :) 
May 29, 2008 7:25:12 PM

Lord Gornak said:
Okay, that makes sense! Protective firearms are more important than video cards :) 

LOL. You think that's bad? Just scroll up one post... he implied his wife was more important than FPS in games? What a joke!!!
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2008 7:47:50 PM

Well, did you bother to actually read it?

Quote:
These are of course in no way official and we can't say for certain where they come from. The only thing we know is that the numbers are not unreasonable, but some information about the rest of the system would be nice. ATI performance (with all cards) is still subpar due to poor drivers, and should improve in Vantage with coming releases. The numbers that are circulating the web are something like this;

The key phrase being: "The numbers circulating the web..." :pt1cable: 

These numbers have no known source??? :lol:  :sarcastic:  :kaola: 
May 29, 2008 7:52:07 PM

rodney_ws said:
LOL. You think that's bad? Just scroll up one post... he implied his wife was more important than FPS in games? What a joke!!!

Yea, at least your computer doesn't care how much beer you drink or for how long you play any game. AND, even though your computer already comes with games (in the OS i should say), she doesn't care if you get bored with them and play with other games for a while lol ;) 
May 29, 2008 8:04:28 PM

Lol, well the simple fact that a computer cant do the things a woman can i.e. clean, cook, and sex. Then I find it pretty damned vital to keep her around lol
May 29, 2008 8:18:40 PM

Avenger_K said:
Quote from article: "These are of course in no way official and we can't say for certain where they come from. The only thing we know is that the numbers are not unreasonable........"
(if the benchies are true that is).

DXRick said:
Well, did you bother to actually read it?

Quote:
These are of course in no way official and we can't say for certain where they come from. The only thing we know is that the numbers are not unreasonable, but some information about the rest of the system would be nice. The numbers that are circulating the web are something like this;

The key phrase being: "The numbers circulating the web..." :pt1cable: 

These numbers have no known source??? :lol:  :sarcastic:  :kaola: 

Yes, unfortunately that is the case. As you can see above, I mentioned that in hopes that everyone would realize that this is at the moment educated speculation....

sailer said:
Here are again, looking at more numbers based on assumptions, relayed by sites of dubious reliability, on cards that are not out nor have finished drivers. Once more into fantasy land, where you can find whatever you're looking for, if you search long enough. :pt1cable: 

I don't know about others, but I'll wait until real cards come out, with real benches, done by reputable sites. Then, and only then, will I decide which card to buy, or even if its worth buying a new card.

^.....but like Sailor, I too will wait with eager expectations for the official benchmarks from Tom's and other good sites and see what the prices are and then make my final decision.
May 29, 2008 8:19:46 PM

If i was Dustin Hoffman in "The Graduate" i would yell "4870ooooooooo!!!!!!! :D 
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2008 9:03:01 PM

sailer said:

I don't know about others, but I'll wait until real cards come out, with real benches, done by reputable sites. Then, adn only then, will I decide which card to buy, or even if its worth buying a new card.

Yep, I love to talk about potential hardware changes and such, and what we would hope for in these new cards, but I never give any credence to benchmarks and projected performance figures, especially based on limited pool of info like non-AA benchies and Futuremark final scores (tell me the sub tests more importantly IMO).

Anywhoo, only another two and a half weeks and then hopefully all the noise will be gone and all the solid information can start flowing. [:thegreatgrapeape:6]

That and maybe those early ES cards getting poked and proded by the THG staff would be nice even if 'unsuported'. :whistle: 
May 30, 2008 8:55:07 AM

I wanna to know the rusult of GTX280 3way SLI on crysis
May 30, 2008 9:31:58 AM

you have to wait paris.there is no way anyone in this forum can give you what you asked for...
May 30, 2008 10:04:37 AM

rodney_ws said:

That will eventually happen. Morrowind plays rather nicely on a 780G. Eventually, both ATI and Nvidia will have IGP's (or Fusion) that run Crysis well. Intel will still be a generation behind.

I'm actually impressed at how well a 690G and 780G run LOTRO, though I upgraded my wife's PC with a 3650 to hold her over. At least with her lower settings, she can see the rowan, ash and yew without relying on the tracker. Less foliage at low settings.

evll_panda said:

You should have married a gamer. As long as I spend half to three quarters as much on her PC as I do on mine, then she's okay with it.

She spends as much time playing games as I do, and I talked her into LOTRO, which is uncannily like real life-- she begged me to send her 600 silver for a rare item in the auction house!
May 30, 2008 1:17:38 PM

http://www.nordichardware.com/news,7819.html
OK everyone, now I have the source for these benchmarks*. Apparently he's been quite reliable over the past two years or so...also this article contains a tad more info on the new cards prices ($650 for the GTX 280!)

*EDIT: For the GT200 Vantage scores only. Sorry about that.....
May 30, 2008 1:50:32 PM

Well, well... and $449 for GTX 260. Not bad at all. It could have had even more expensive.
Now we need more reliable information about 4800 series, if this GT200 information is about in scale.
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2008 2:22:58 PM

Lets just say this, if these cards were run on 3DM, and if theyre somehwat true, even if ATI doesnt have any decnt drivers yet for it, thered be no way 1 person or persons would have access to all these cards. And say if its from several "reliable" people, we also dont have any idea as to what setup was being used for each card. Even 1 person having say a 4870 and a 4850 would be a surprise. 1 or the other sure, I can see that, but both? Same with the G2xx's. Ill say this though, this is about as close to the truth weve gotten so far, just no way to know what was used for setups
May 30, 2008 2:36:37 PM

ugh $650 is really pushing it
May 30, 2008 2:46:02 PM

yeah, but its only for enthusiasts so when you have so much money it doesnt really matter if its 650 or 600

People with such purchases have at least 24" 1920 x 1200 or even 27" - 30" monitors.

My opinion is that these cards should be even more expensive - like $1000.

Why you should give $1000 for an extreme processor (or even $1500) and not for an extreme VC when the VC have even more weight on the game performance?

May 30, 2008 2:47:27 PM

if you have $2000 for a 30" monitor then you shouldn't be short to spend another $1000 for VC

and for people who buy this card with a 19" monitor or even lower is just plain stupid :) 
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2008 2:49:20 PM

Thats the same price as the 8800GTX was ? This is supposed to be that big of jump once again, so I guess it equals out
May 30, 2008 3:28:46 PM

rawsteel said:
yeah, but its only for enthusiasts so when you have so much money it doesnt really matter if its 650 or 600

People with such purchases have at least 24" 1920 x 1200 or even 27" - 30" monitors.

My opinion is that these cards should be even more expensive - like $1000.

Why you should give $1000 for an extreme processor (or even $1500) and not for an extreme VC when the VC have even more weight on the game performance?

I guess I'm from a different perspective. I'm not rich, but was able to save $500 for a 27.5 inch LCD and around $600 for two 9800 GTX's. SLI issues are bugging the crap out of me so I wanted to Step Up (through EVGA) to one GTX280 and sell my other card to roughly cover the cost, but the steady march from $500 rumor to $600 to $650 makes the Step Up less and less enticing. Of course I will wait until some good benchmarks are out.
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2008 5:24:23 PM

Well the $599 target was always the realistic target IMO.

Just like Fuad and others keep saying the HD4870 will be $229, there's no freakin' way, and the $349 supposed leaked spec sheet makes more sense.

Anywhoo, I would say if you're buying from eVGA (as you have to for the Step-up) then it'll likely be $600 or more (depending on if they launch a normal one first or the expensive OC'ed ones only), if you are buying from an e-Tailer then you're likely to see discount actions happening. But even then I think the biggest discount will be reserved for the GTX260 to give them something to look price competitive, those I expect to see in e-tail early for under $400 from makers like ECS or ZOTAC, etc. but likely BFG, eVGA, etc will be close to MSRP or above at launch, especially if volumes are tight like they're rumoured to be.
May 30, 2008 8:59:42 PM

I have spent over $1000 on 2 7900gtx and no longer can see myself spending that much on cards .My monitor is a LG 47'' 1080p with 5ms lcd tv,which is set @1920x1080(I love this thing).My current card is an HD2900pro oc to 740/860.Rawsteel is right about one thing ,and that is ,when it comes time to SLI the GTX280 you will need to spend the mone for H2O cooling.4870 will be real good for me nowwith the option to X-fire later
May 31, 2008 7:18:23 PM

I plan to snag a 4850 around October. I'm 15 so minimum wage during this summer isn't going to cover a 4870 or GTX260, especially since I need a new amp and Wahwah really bad. Hopefully by then the prices will be down so I'm not paying twice what it should be like tends to happen at release.
June 2, 2008 12:27:58 PM

rawsteel said:
if you have $2000 for a 30" monitor then you shouldn't be short to spend another $1000 for VC

and for people who buy this card with a 19" monitor or even lower is just plain stupid :) 

LOL! A 19" monitor is more then enough! You cant play on a 27-30" monitor. 24" is a little too big, a 22" is good, a 20 is very good and a 19" is enough. If you play on a 24" is the same as watching TV from one or two meters. Or it would be like watching a movie in the cinema up in the front, that is just not great!
I have a 19" and that is enough for me and my friends agrees with me.

P.S sry for my bad english...
June 2, 2008 4:08:00 PM

printz_asger said:
LOL! A 19" monitor is more then enough! You cant play on a 27-30" monitor. 24" is a little too big, a 22" is good, a 20 is very good and a 19" is enough. If you play on a 24" is the same as watching TV from one or two meters. Or it would be like watching a movie in the cinema up in the front, that is just not great!
I have a 19" and that is enough for me and my friends agrees with me.

P.S sry for my bad english...

I think your bad English was the reason for you to not understand me. I said it will be stupid to have 19" monitor and buy the VERY TOP video card like GX2 or GTX280 when it gets out, because you will be pretty satisfied with a 9800 GTX or 3870 or 8800 GTS or something in that range. Other than that will be just blowing off money and getting it just to show off your friends ;) 
June 2, 2008 4:55:19 PM

rawsteel said:
I think your bad English was the reason for you to not understand me. I said it will be stupid to have 19" monitor and buy the VERY TOP video card like GX2 or GTX280 when it gets out, because you will be pretty satisfied with a 9800 GTX or 3870 or 8800 GTS or something in that range. Other than that will be just blowing off money and getting it just to show off your friends ;) 

Oddly enough I HAVE a 19" monitor and am looking forward to the new graphics card releases. Ive had the 8800GTX since launch and have considered it under powered to run my 19" screen for a long time :lol: 

Something to do with MY 19" monitor running at 2048x1536 :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
June 2, 2008 5:06:33 PM

Those crts are nice if you have the room for em
June 2, 2008 5:06:36 PM

printz_asger said:
You cant play on a 27-30" monitor.

Can and do, I like actually having to turn my head to see all the action, and the gun is almost life size in FPS games hehe. But yeah there's nothing wrong with 17, 19, or 22 inch. If I build a computer for my office I definitely won't be using an obscene monitor size like the one i have now.
June 2, 2008 5:27:20 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Those crts are nice if you have the room for em

Got plenty of space for them :D  Victorian house, Living room was formerly seperate lounge \ dining room knocked through etc, its just trying to convince the wife that the ancient beige CRT with battle scars really doesnt look that awful in the living room thats the hard part :( .

My wife really likes the sleek looks of the modern LCD panel, and so I brought a couple of samsung pebbles in, but I cant stand gaming on it so Im trying to sneak the CRT back in :D , Ive yet to come up with a legitimate excuse to use the "spare" lcd panel elsewhere...
a b U Graphics card
June 2, 2008 5:32:44 PM

Tell her too many lcds are bad. They emit some kinda something heheh, and the tried n true crt is safer heheh
a b U Graphics card
June 2, 2008 5:57:45 PM

LCDs give off UV, you could use that , even though the levels are low, the exposure from multiple LCDs... :D 
June 3, 2008 5:16:45 AM

since when LCDs give out UVs?i thought the crts were the ones which gve out harmful rays?
June 3, 2008 9:55:10 AM

LCD backlight emits a tiny amount of UV. CRT will bombard you with more 'traditional' radiation.
a b U Graphics card
June 3, 2008 10:08:13 AM

Heard thats great for your E-peen heheh
!