interesting: Vantage results for GTX 280, 260, Radeon HD 4870 and 4850

Avenger_K

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
Quote from article: "These are of course in no way official and we can't say for certain where they come from. The only thing we know is that the numbers are not unreasonable........"

http://www.nordichardware.com/news,7809.html

OK everyone, I just came across this over at NordicHardware and figured I'd share it with you all. I actually think this may be good for ATI (if the benchies are true that is). First of all, this is just another 3Dmark score comparison :pfff: (and we don't know if real gameplay will offer better performance to the ATI cards); second, as mentioned in the article, ATI's cards should improve with newer and better drivers; and thirdly, the 4870X2 is not included in the comparison.

Given that it is pretty much two 4870s in Crossfire (and I've read that it may be more than that, and that scaling should be largely improved over the previous generation), and assuming that with newer drivers it could see something like 80% scaling (in 3Dmark at least ;) ), that would yield a score of ~4600-4700 (which beats the GTX 280s score of ~41xx).

Or just forget about all these assumptions and simply realize that if the 4870X2 gets more than about 63% scaling, it will outperform the GTX 280 (again, in 3dmark Vantage).

This will be an interesting summer to say the least........

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Yea I can't wait for these bitches to come out so we can see some real benchmarks. The anticipation is kickin my ass... does that make me a geek? lol

--Arson94

Avenger_K

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007

^Yes! :D

rawsteel

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
If these numbers are valid and if they are taken with the DDR4 version of 4870XT then I think 4870 will be a killer (supposing even drivers are not the best at the moment for sure) :)

Avenger_K

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007

The GTX 280 is supposed to be $600, while the GTX 260 is around $450 I think.

evll_panda

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Damn lol I will have to wait a bit on those then. I just bought my 8800 GTS 10 mo ago along with the rest of my setup and the wife about freaked so gotta give her a grace period before i make another big purchase lol

sailer

Splendid
Here are again, looking at more numbers based on assumptions, relayed by sites of dubious reliability, on cards that are not out nor have finished drivers. Once more into fantasy land, where you can find whatever you're looking for, if you search long enough. :pt1cable:

I don't know about others, but I'll wait until real cards come out, with real benches, done by reputable sites. Then, adn only then, will I decide which card to buy, or even if its worth buying a new card.

Lord Gornak

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008

I always (in a nice way) bring up how much mine spends on getting her nails and hair done every month. Usually makes it a little easier to justify a purchase to her ;)

evll_panda

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Lol well I just bought a new laptop 2 mo ago. And I am going to spend 1200 on a Five-Seven Pistol from FNH and a fingerprint safe for it so i dont think i can justify it.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005

LOL. You think that's bad? Just scroll up one post... he implied his wife was more important than FPS in games? What a joke!!!

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Well, did you bother to actually read it?

These are of course in no way official and we can't say for certain where they come from. The only thing we know is that the numbers are not unreasonable, but some information about the rest of the system would be nice. ATI performance (with all cards) is still subpar due to poor drivers, and should improve in Vantage with coming releases. The numbers that are circulating the web are something like this;

The key phrase being: "The numbers circulating the web..." :pt1cable:

These numbers have no known source??? :lol: :sarcastic: :kaola:

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008

Yea, at least your computer doesn't care how much beer you drink or for how long you play any game. AND, even though your computer already comes with games (in the OS i should say), she doesn't care if you get bored with them and play with other games for a while lol ;)

evll_panda

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Lol, well the simple fact that a computer cant do the things a woman can i.e. clean, cook, and sex. Then I find it pretty damned vital to keep her around lol

Avenger_K

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007

Yes, unfortunately that is the case. As you can see above, I mentioned that in hopes that everyone would realize that this is at the moment educated speculation....

^.....but like Sailor, I too will wait with eager expectations for the official benchmarks from Tom's and other good sites and see what the prices are and then make my final decision.

Yep, I love to talk about potential hardware changes and such, and what we would hope for in these new cards, but I never give any credence to benchmarks and projected performance figures, especially based on limited pool of info like non-AA benchies and Futuremark final scores (tell me the sub tests more importantly IMO).

Anywhoo, only another two and a half weeks and then hopefully all the noise will be gone and all the solid information can start flowing. [:thegreatgrapeape:6]

That and maybe those early ES cards getting poked and proded by the THG staff would be nice even if 'unsuported'. :whistle: