Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Creating 30+ User Accounts

Last response: in Windows XP
September 12, 2010 2:58:57 AM

Hi,

I'm going to create 30+ user accounts. They will be all running at the same time, running the same program. (the only way I've figured out how to dual-boot the same program) and I was wondering... Is there anyway to make it somehow use less resources doing so? Like, so far I've gone into Advanced > Performance and killed the switch on everything.

I was just wondering, after days of running non-stop, it is bound to start eating up RAM or even cache to much, right? If so, what can I do to stretch the time this happens in? What else can I switch off/disable for each user to eat up less resources?

Thanks.

[E6550-2.33Ghz-4MB Cache-1333FSB 2GB DDR2 800 - 160GB HDD]

More about : creating user accounts

September 12, 2010 7:20:35 AM

Quote:
What else can I switch off/disable for each user to eat up less resources?

Switch everyone over to Classic view, including taskbar and start menu.
Turn off themes.
Disable Themes service...
Disable any non-essential service.
Any service that can be run manually instead of automatic should be set to manual.
Stop performance logging.
Set visual effects to "Performance"
disable/remove any "extra" junk that loads for the video card, (bust it back to driver only).
lower screen color depth to 16 bits.
de-allocate reserved video RAM in BIOS to minimum
Run a fixed 4GB pagefile.
Disable Dr. Watson
Disable indexing service
disable error reporting
disable automatic updates
disable prefetch

I'm tired, try Google

September 13, 2010 5:01:44 PM

If you are running 30 accts on one computer, at the same time, you need about 10-20 times more RAM than what you have.
Related resources
September 13, 2010 5:19:35 PM

hang-the-9 said:
If you are running 30 accts on one computer, at the same time, you need about 10-20 times more RAM than what you have.

And I agree, thus the 4GB pagefile. [:tigsounds]
September 13, 2010 5:35:34 PM

tigsounds said:
And I agree, thus the 4GB pagefile. [:tigsounds]

2 gig of physical RAM is no-where close to what he'll need even with 4gig of pagefile. I'd suggest at least 8 gig of RAM for 30 users. Just loading the profiles will eat up 4gig of RAM, maybe more. The absolute minimum that MS states should be used for Terminal Services is 128MB per user, and that is more lightweight logon than multi-user XP systems. That minimum is not counting any applications that are run either.

The harddrive will also have a fun time writting temp files and page file usage for 30 users at once. And by fun time I mean something like needing to keep an eye on a dozen 5-yr olds in a candy shop where everything is free and Barney is handing out the treats.

@godbrother, you have an iteresting idea, however, you need a hugely parallel system with several CPUs, large RAM amounts and a RAID array for your disks to do what you want without crashing/locking up your system.
September 13, 2010 5:45:12 PM

Could add more HDD's or partitions and give a 4GB pagefile to each one. Windows will eventually get around to all of them it finds, but waiting until tomorrow to open Notepad is going to be really boring.

Cray Research makes machines that will do the trick, but they cost upwards of $15,000 for a starter system.

Best to purchase a few more computers for those 30 people who need to use one.
September 15, 2010 12:44:32 PM

Thanks guys for the suggestions, I'll start doing em one by one. May I add that after around a few hours of running the same program on 8 fresh accounts, that the RAM useage was only 600MB's and the CPU would not exceed 10% on idle... Is this right?

I'm going to install a fresh copy of XP Pro SP3 onto the machine, and my questions are... If I choose XP home, over XP Pro, would I save some resorces? Also, if I were to choose SP1 over SP3 would I save some more?

September 24, 2010 11:37:58 PM

bumpy!
September 24, 2010 11:43:32 PM

SP level likely won't make a difference and neither will Home vs. Pro.
September 25, 2010 12:27:17 AM

what are you doing running @home, or SETI
September 25, 2010 6:29:25 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!